*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, Intel screwed up.
    XTU to be disabled for points until further notice 2019-06-28

As newer versions of XTU do not produce a score which is on par with older versions, we are forced to take the hard decision to disable points for all XTU submissions. HWBOT can be used as a competitive platform, for fun, or just statistics, and in the current state XTU can not be used for any of those purposes.
    We will be working together with Intel to see whether a new version of XTU can solve these issues. Until then, points remain disabled.

For more information, read the forum topic made by leeghoofd.

From the Forum topic... XTU will become pointless

lo all,

I did some testing yesterday to confirm the findings regarding XTU as there are way too many bugged outputs on the Bot. I tested a dozen of versions yesterday with the 9700K on H20 and Cascade on Windows 10

Findings:

XTU performance is very inconsistent. Scoring 2900 one run, a rerun goes up to 3150.

XTU performance output is too depending on the installed versions, as we already knew the 64Bit version 6.5.1.321 is easily outperforming any older versions. Till now no way to seperate them, Intel is working on it, but we loose too much time as 10K subs chime in weekly...

The mix of 32 and 64 OS version requirements doesn't make things any easier

It seems XTU loves Heat iso Cold, not being able to replicate a score done on H20 versus the setup under the cascade. Put the fans on low on the H20 setup and score even higher… sure...

Especially the temperature issue is the last drop for me as headmoderator, Seriously if one overclocks and runs colder one achieves a lower score for the same processor speed. The Efficiency/MHz gets totally lost the colder one runs...

I feel this point withdrawal is a thing that should have been done earlier, Sorry for those that will loose a heap of points but the current ranking doesn't reflect the true spirit of Overclocking.
    [​IMG]
    Fingers crossed that XTU 2.0 will be the next big thing… I've been a fan of XTU for quick stability testing, but the many bugs that slipped in over the years made it as one of the most unstable benchmarks we have implemented at HWBot.

iunlock, Arrrrbol, Rage Set and 2 others like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Good riddance. It hasn't been a reliable or stable benchmark for a while. It's also less useful as an overclocking tool than it used to be. Too many BIOS settings that it can't change, BIOS settings that do not show, or BIOS settings that it does show are not reflected accurately, and most never stick with reboot. Piece of crap software. Just broken rubbish, like so many other things are now. An unfortunate sign of the times.

HWBOT should start thinking about monitoring 3DMark bloatware suite's results for consistency as well. It's heading on a similar trajectory with inconsistent results. Some tests in the suite more than others, but all are more inconsistent than they used to be.

iunlock, Arrrrbol, Rage Set and 2 others like this.
  3. Papusan

Reputations:
    XTU in one or another shape (services - task) is implemented in all sorts of software from many laptop ODM nowadays. The only possibility to overclock (change power settings) your new toy is halfbaked XTU solutions. Maybe Intel work too hard make it work OK in Jokebooks? Hence the Intel tool is so screwed up.

More nasty Junk...
    Windows 10 security: Bad bug in our CPU diagnostics app, so patch now, says Intel
    Intel fixes high-severity security flaw in its CPU performance-testing software for Windows 10 systems.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That could have something to do with it. They may be surrendering to pressure from turdbook ODMs to make things not work intentionally to prevent consumers from overclocking their broken trash in ways that their firmware cancer does not allow. That wouldn't surprise me at all. They are all kissing one another's butts, and Micro$lop's butt. Seems like the PC industry is being run more and more by a bunch of stupid grab-a$$ control freak clowns. (Dollar signs are used there as an indicator of their ulterior motivation, not as a word filter bypass.)

iunlock, electrosoft and Papusan like this.
  5. JoeT44

JoeT44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Brother Fox I'm thinking of getting an EVGA dark. Will you be available today around 4PM your time? Thanks

iunlock and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Sure, 4PM my time would be fine.

Papusan and JoeT44 like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Looks like ASUS was asleep at the wheel on the BIOS settings, LOL.

Rather sad that 4.3-4.4GHz on CPU and 3600 on RAM is the "sweet spot" for 3900X. I thought it might turn out better than this.

8. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    true, but still hilarious to see intel jacking up the clocks like crazy just to be able and keep up with AMD's IPC bump haha ;) its like upside down world

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    AMD: Ryzen 3000-Series CPUs Lack Manual Overclocking Headroom tomshardware.com | July 11, 2019

Robert Hallock, Senior Technical Marketing Manager at AMD, has explained on Reddit (and copied below) that AMD pretty much squeezes all the performance out of every single Ryzen 3000-series processor, leaving little headroom for manual overclocking.

AMD has always focused on maximizing the performance from its processors for the end-user. According to Hallock, that's the primary reason why the chipmaker develops algorithms, such as Precision Boost 2, to automatically extract every megahertz of computing power from a processor. That way "you're not forced" to lean about overclocking to get the extra performance or worry about risking the warranty on your brand new processor.

iunlock, Convel, jaybee83 and 2 others like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Sounds like an excuse. If true, even sadder. Instead of being impressed, it makes me wonder how slow would it be if it were not already pushed to the edge of its ability to function. Also sad that someone in a "Senior Technical Marketing Manager" role would make a ludicrous comment like being forced to learn about overclocking. People that think this way really scare me, and the people that believe it scare me even more. Smoke and mirrors carefully crafted to distract from the fact that if you buy his brand you can't learn to overclock because the hardware doesn't cooperate? That sort of messed up excuse-making thought process is why the tech world is so full of broken rubbish.

Click-and-run products are not rubbish per se--I actually own some that serve their purpose effectively--but, lame excuses certainly are rubbish. And, hardware that doesn't overclock isn't made for enthusiasts. It's made for ordinary consumers that maybe like to think of themselves as being an enthusiast. Again, doesn't mean the product is bad. What's bad is the shills misrepresenting it and the gullible yuppies that don't know what they don't know.

The people that just come out and say things (and actually mean them) like "I know it doesn't overclock, and that's OK. I want it because it performs well and costs less, and I don't have an interest in overclocking" are the ones I can tip my hat to out of respect. They're honest with themselves, and I'm totally cool with that. And, I am totally onboard with the idea of saving money to buy hardware that does a nice job of playing games and functioning as a powerful workstation without costing an arm and a leg. Just don't pull my leg and tell me silly things about it, or make excuses to the effect that it doesn't overclock well because "we've already fully optimized it so you don't have to" LOL. C'mon, I might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.

A strong showing of IPC prowess and low cost are nice features that add value. A max clock just a few clicks south of 4.5GHz on core and 3600MHz representing the bleeding edge of capacity on memory are not hideous, but they're also not things to write home about.

Well, can't hate that. One thing we can appreciate about Intel and NVIDIA--which are also the same things we love to hate about them--is they do whatever it takes to win. I'm glad they do. Their ludicrous prices suck. And, so does losing.

Computing is getting more and more like politics. You have to ask yourself hard questions like, "in a world where every available option sucks, what are you willing to settle for?" and "do you really want that bad enough to pay such a high price for it?" and "are you willing to turn a blind eye on A in order to get B, and what does that actually mean over the long haul?"

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019