*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. JoeT44

JoeT44 Guest

Reputations:
    Capture2.JPG

iunlock and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    well...in his case it would actually be super cheap cuz basically free :)

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

User32 and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    This looks like fun... and not that difficult.

Plus, if you are using the system purely for entertainment purposes, there is really little or no reason to give a rat's butt about security. It isn't all that important. If it is something a person wants to worry their pretty little head about, they can always use a different system that is secure if and when security ever matters.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    iunlock, Papusan and Rage Set like this.
  4. User32

User32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In that case go for it, get yourself a X5690 off eBay and go nuts.

5. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    It's your most logical next step bro. With the launch of the super cards, Nvidia won't be launching anything new in the very high end until summer of next year. Unless they pull another Titan Xp.

iunlock, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I know you are ultimately right. That's exactly what I need to do next. Seems like I need to make some decisions before long about whether I am going to hang it up or keep going. I'm extremely tempted by this mod, but this is a mighty expensive GPU to tear up that way. I'd probably do it to a cheaper one first to get the hang of it before ripping into my FTW3. It also basically destroys the ability to use the GPU for anything normal because of all the extra junk attached to it.

But, I'm kind of disenchanted with the whole idea of benching any more. Maybe I am just going through a phase or something. Having a hard time getting excited about it, since I can't beat myself at this point and kind of maxed everything out in terms of my hardware capacity. I know I could do more with LN2, but I'm not really into the idea of spending any more money on this hobby. The non-stop retarded BS from the goons at NVIDIA has rubbed me the wrong way as well... bastards. I sure as hell don't want to give them any more of my money. They don't deserve to be paid for their nonsense. The "Super" cards don't affect 2080 Ti (yet) and therefore not affecting me (yet), but I've taken up a grudge for all of the 2080 owners that got screwed by the release of "Super" cards.

Just ran this... not too bad, but about 721 points short of my best score.

Capture.JPG

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    And, this one is about 98 points short of my best. Meh. Time to turn the chiller off and flip back to my 5.0GHz BIOS profile. Not much point in trying until something changes... futile.
    Capture.JPG

Edit: OK. Back to status quo... 50x on Linux.
    CinebenchR15_Linux.jpg

iunlock, j95, Rage Set and 1 other person like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    A little encouragement for you my friend:vbthumbsup: Can't compete with your 50x on Linux... 1 core CELERON M 743@1.3GHz from before last decade smash out amazing 35cb in CBR-15:D But yeah, [​IMG] is better than last. Benching this old 1 core amazing thingy tragedy is very time consuming. A short bench is fast an 1/2 hours run. I'm sure you don't want that, HaHa

https://hwbot.org/submission/4182922_papusan_cinebench___r15_celeron_m_743_35_cb

[​IMG]

https://hwbot.org/submission/4184065_papusan_superpi___32m_celeron_m_743_35min_58sec_669ms
    [​IMG]

iunlock, j95, Rage Set and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Flash from the past. :vbthumbsup: Amazing how easy it is to take things for granted. I can remember back when 35cb points was pretty typical and 500 meant your machine was a wicked beast.

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    How warm did the single core Celeron get? Looks like I need to repaste the ZBook 15. I hardly ever subject it to anything stressful because there isn't really any reason for me to do that. I just use it for email and web browsing most of the time. This Cinebench R15 run severely thermal throttled at 99°C, but it still returned a better score than lots of other garbage. I did play Crysis on it not long ago and noticed the CPU was pushing 95°C and the GPU was running around 80°C. It does have a pathetic cooling system, like most other laptops do, so it will most likely never have good temps.

Capture.JPG

Rage Set and Papusan like this.