*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. gt83vr6reHelp

gt83vr6reHelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    errr after some research, I'm wrong here, looks like the 2080ti will still be needed to maintain a steady 240hz max settings on any game thrown at it(rtx off of course).

hmscott likes this.
  2. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Wow guys I had a lot to read to catch up lol...

@Robbo99999 in regard to the 170GB file, I was suspicious about the accuracy of that, being that it was a generated file with perfect data sequences. As you've seen with real world files like the game file, things are very different.

BTW interesting note, the 2TB sabrent that I have was pulled on some sites due to reports of there possibly being something wrong with it LOL... Already integrity issues?

I think the best way to test is to use real world data like the BF1 game file.

As for destroying the Samsung EVO or EVO Plus, you have to keep in mind that drive integrity & quality wise, the Samsung drives destroy these cheap sabrent rebranded drives. Sure it's a great bargain and that is why I own and use the sabrent drives as well, but IMO if you have important data I would not count on these sabrent drives over Samsung memory. This is just a fact that is unanimous across the professional realm.

Look at my 2TB sabrent drive for example and the tests that I've done with it vs my 2TB Samsung EVO Plus ... the sabrent hits a wall hard and can not keep up. It was interesting to see the merchants pull the 2TB sabrents... maybe it can't handle as I've experienced with slow write speeds (large) files and hot temps...

I don't experience these issues on the Samsung EVO Plus.

Maybe next week I'll do another round of testing with the exact same real world files that you've tested with to compare. For now I'd refrain from using artificially generated files as it has already proven to be misleading. 2.3GB/s did seem off and too good to be true, especially for an inferior drive like the sabrent. The side by sides tests that I did also showed it (2.3GB/s : 170GB) to not be true, because the sabrent hits a wall hard on writes even at 32GB as expected.

Anyhow, for those in the States, hope you guys have a great 4th!

3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Mostly I was just curious about the size of the SLC cache on the Sabrent drives, simply because that is likely to be the main differentiating factor when it comes to real world performance when talking about transferring large files - if it fits in the SLC cache of these drives then there isn't really any noticeable performance difference to the more expensive drives. I think I've worked it out to be 25 GB SLC cache size for my 1TB Sabrent drive, so I answered my own question, which also tallies with some REDDIT posts where they talk about SLC cache size, and a few tech reviews of other E12 Phison drives talk about around 30GB SLC cache size - so there we are. For me it was cheaper than a SATA SSD (or was it the same price per GB, wasn't more expensive anyway), so was a no brainer to get this faster 1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe.

iunlock and jaybee83 like this.
  4. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    The summer heat is not playing well with my OC'ing adventures. I'm thinking of throwing one of these MO-RA3 rads into an ice bath. I have to rethink my approach to cooling. I'm probably going to experiment with a single MO-RA3 for both the CPU and GPU's. I'll post updates soon.

5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    right on! the SLC cache is indeed the deciding factor in everyday ops when it comes to TLC drives :) thats why extended tests like over at anandtech are a good way to really differentiate all the drives on the market. second thing being long time reliability, of course, but thats a difficult thing to "bench".

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Robbo99999, iunlock and hmscott like this.
  6. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Great bargain indeed. I ordered a 1TB and 512GB as well on sale for giggles. I'm needing to upgrade some family members laptops so instead of going sata, this cheap NVMe was a no brainer like you've said.

i just hope they hold up. With the issues going on with the 2TB sabrents and the known problems of it being broken with 512 sector emulation, it's a bit concerning. However, for the price it makes up for any worries really lol...

The nice thing is that with more options in the market, it forces the top tier drives to lower their prices too, which is great for us. :)

Sounds good Bro. Happy 4th.

I agree. When it comes to reliability, that is a whole different thing all together. Unarguably these newer cheap drives lack track record to even determine any data, however with the problems that are already arising I'm grabbing the popcorn to see how it pans out. Bad start already.

I'm curious to know what's going on with the sabrent drives from the inside (company) perspective (although we already somewhat know), because there are reports of issues on top of another. This seems like to be an integrity issue as predicted. I must say, I kind of feel bad about installing these on the family members laptops now lol. To circumvent that I'm setting up a private cloud for them on my NAS account so I'll create a folder called "PUT IMPORTANT STUFF HERE," as insurance haha...

This also leads to the cheap drives offering 5 year warranty, bluffing to try and match Samsung ...well...... if you lose your precious data like priceless family photos and such, that 5 years means nothing...so when people try to use the warranty period to butter up how good the cheap drives are, it really doesn't matter to the majority of users; because most people (sadly) don't back up their data.

To each his own. :) I hope it pans out well for them, because it's one heck of a deal. Before all these issues, I had WD SN750 over the sabrent in the mid tier category, but now there's no way I can comfortably recommend the sabrent to people for the time being. (If the user backs up their data then even an el cheapo bottom of the barrel silicon motion would suffice lol.)

Rage Set and jaybee83 like this.
  7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    My friend is offering me his Vega 56 GPU for a decent price. Debating whether I want to build up a desktop LOL.

I currently have sitting in my shed:

i7 950 Quad-Core 1st Gen (X58 system)
    EVGA SLI3 X58 Motherboard
    12GB RAM (3x2GB, 1x4GB, 1x2GB mix and match LOL)
    250GB SSD
    Garbage ATX Case
    450w Corsair PSU
    GTX 550Ti
    Windows 7

Wondering if it's worth making it into a real beast LOL:

Intel Xeon W3680 6-Core unlocked CPU ($50)
    650w PSU (Corsiar, free from another friend)
    Vega 56 ($200)

Thoughts? lol

iunlock, jaybee83 and Robbo99999 like this.
  8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I don't think 'broken' is the way of describing the 512 sector thing with the Sabrent drives, the issue you're referring to is that the Sabrent drives come with 4K sectors, whereas a lot of other drives are 512byte sectors - this means that you can't clone your OS from your previous 512 byte sector disk to a 4K sector disk, but this is not a problem if you're doing a fresh install. Additionally, Sabrent offer a program to convert the Sabrent from 4K sector to 512byte sector (https://www.sabrent.com/download/sb-rocket-256/). I don't think 'broken' is the accurate way of describing the situation or the product.

The high temperatures that you see on your 2TB Sabrent drive are nothing like the low temperatures I see on my 1TB Sabrent drive, the hottest mine has ever been was 60 degC, and that was with intensive disk benching (32GB Crystal Disk Mark test, and 80GB folder copying) - mine doesn't even have a heatsink on it (no motherboard NVMe heatsink). Maybe you have bad airflow in your case, or maybe the 2TB version of the product heats up more than the 1TB version, but I suppose not everyone who uses these drives is gonna have optimal airflow, so that's kinda moot point but it provides some perspective.

The 5yr warranty and high TBW warranty that you have doubts about combined with your concern for reliability of the product - even if the high TBW figures have been inflated, we're talking about Toshiba TLC NAND here, there's no concern with anyone wearing out the NAND on their drive, the NAND will last for decades before most users have exhausted it's write endurance. Also, these are Phison E12 & Toshiba TLC NAND drives, cookie cutter drives that are pretty much all the same on a hardware & firmware level offered by quite a few companies like Corsair, Seagate, etc - so I don't think you have to be concerned with the Sabrent brand in terms of product quality. I think the same firmware is often shared between the different companies, for instance I have the ECFM12.2 firmware which using Google is the latest version of the Phison controller firmware, and is the same one used on some of the latest Phison E12 drives. (See following pic showing the firmware revision, you can also see that my drive has also never in it's life exceeded the temperature warning thresholds from that pic). (You can also see that airflow is probably pretty good in my case as the drive is at 24 degC and my room temperature is 25 degC (the room thermometer is about 1 meter higher up in my room than my PC, so I guess that's why it's reading a higher temperature, rooms are hotter near the ceiling).)
    Sabrent 1TB HWInfo.jpg

What was the issue with the 2TB drive allegedly being pulled from a few websites, what specifically? I wouldn't really recommend a 2TB drive for any NVMe drive anyway, as it's not an efficient use of the "lanes & data channels" so they're slower than the 1TB versions and often cost per GB is less for the 1TB drives anyway.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  9. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    It's an interesting idea, but it's not worth it from a practical level considering your Area-51M laptop will game better - due to better CPU & GPU. It might be fun to do though, but only for that reason, unless you've got lots of people using your hardware (family & friends) and you want an extra PC to use when they're using your stuff!

jaybee83 likes this.
  10. User32

User32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Unless it's really, really cheap, don't bother. Nehalem is becoming archaic and Smeltdown hits them hard.

jaybee83 likes this.