*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Papusan, ajc9988 and iunlock like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I'm already stirring it up.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Papusan, Johnksss and jaybee83 like this.
  3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @iunlock , I did some file copy tests on my Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe drive. I did tests up to 100GB, and it's stable at 2.3GB/s write - see the pic.
    Sabrent 100GB File transfer.jpg

That is not a slow transfer write speed of a massive file. That's not hitting any SLC buffer issues. I used fsutil file createnew Testfile100GB.exe 107374182400 command in a command prompt to create a dummy test file, and by selecting copy and paste (rather than move), you can see the write performance. This makes me think that write performance of large file transfers is not an issue with this drive. It's not slow when dealing with large writes like we previously thought, or is there a peculiarity with the file transfer of a dummy file. This file transfer speed is faster than the 970 Evo Plus when they tested file transfer over at Guru3d: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/samsung_970_evo_plus_nvme_m_2_(1tb)_ssd_review,8.html . They only achieved 1.98GB/s and transfer speeds dropped to 1.5GB/s after about 80GB of data written.

And here's some TweakGuide testing on the 970Evo using the exact same dummy file testing, and 100GB dummy file threw all sized version of 970 Evo into the ground at 630MB/s once the SLC cache had been exhausted. https://www.tweakguides.com/Hardcon19_7.html
    You can see that's not happening with my cheap Sabrent drive, that's pretty cool to see.

What do you think I'm seeing here, it goes in contrary to what we previously thought about the capabilities of this cheap Sabrent Rocket drive?

EDIT: it's even a stable and constant 2.3GB/s write on a 170GB file transfer! See following pic:
    Sabrent 170GB File transfer.jpg
    That's way better than the Samsung 970 Evo and Evo Plus that crap out at under 100GB. I'd try an even bigger file transfer, but I don't have any free space to try, well I already extended my partition just for this test to allow a 170GB file transfer.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I just tested that and mine dropped to 325MB per sec.

5. User32

User32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Man I can't wait for my Crosshair VII to go tits up. What a garbage board this is!

>fan control issues
    >support, or more like no support, from Assus, where's my AGESA 1.0.0.3?!
    >broken as fuarrrk RAM OC since AGESA 0.0.7.2
    >and above all: ROG SupremeFX bullsh*t causing extreme clipping and general audio weirdness, I just want vanilla Realtek, is that too hard?

Shoulda bought a Taichi Ultimate instead, I had some ASRock B85 board in my previous desktop and I never had any issues with it whatsoever.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    @iunlock ,@Mr. Fox ,@Papusan @jaybee83 (and @tilleroftheearth because I'm that impressed with the results) - I updated my previous post with a 170GB file transfer (see previous post for pic after the EDIT), and it's 2.3GB/s write stable throughout that test even!

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Try creating the file, rebooting the computer and then copying the file again with the Task Manager open to the same Drive and see how long it takes to actually become idle. :)

You may also want to test with a large downloaded PDF file, PSD file, etc. or any other 'real' file too. They sometimes perform very differently. :)

How much RAM does your system have? What OP %age are you using?

jaybee83, Robbo99999 and Papusan like this.
  8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I'm using a 30% OP during the 100GB file transfer test, and then for 170GB file transfer test I had to extend the partition to make space, so it was only 15% OP during the 170GB file transfer test. (That's OP on top of whatever the manufacturer sets aside as OP, it's 954GB total usable if I was to allocate all available space.) What's your thinking behind the rebooting thing you're talking about in your first sentence, as well as what you mean by how long it takes to become idle?

16GB RAM I have.

EDIT: I think I know what you're getting at, you're wondering if Windows is reporting the correct transfer rate. Well HWInfo was showing a constant 2442MB/s transfer rate at the end there, which you can see in the pics - which is 2.38GB/s. And the drive returns to idle (seen in HWInfo) as soon as Windows says the transfer is complete.

Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  9. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:

Thanks for testing. When I have some time I'll test very large file transfers again. I'd take a lot of those online reviews with a grain of salt, because often times they don't really stack up to reality. One example is how one of the well known review sites bow down to the phony figures Corsair put out on their TLC drive (the same relabeled one as the Sabrent) LOL ... it's complete false advertising and a cheap way to manipulate the consumer base.

The fact is, there is no way the inferior toshiba TLC on those drives outperform Samsung MLC memory, yet they are going as far as trying to claim that it has a higher endurance...complete nonsense.

Don't always believe what you read... this is why I have very little respect for the blind reviewers who just look at numbers on paper. Their incentive is to create a buzz article, even with it being absent of any substance or track record, rather simple short run tests that doesn't do much justice to the overall picture.

I have the 2TB Sabrent in the desktop right now and using it as a game drive. So far so good... it works well as expected. It does get warm when transferring larger game files, but that's not often so it's not a big deal. As mentioned before the larger capacity looks to have different characteristics than the smaller capacity drives.

I also wouldn't go as far as to say that the Sabrent is better than the EVO Plus or even the EVO, but that is your opinion. For the money the Sabrent is a crazy good deal and one not to pass up on, which is why I'm using it myself lol.

What type of file was that 170GB transfer? The file types do make a difference along with the other variables mentioned... usually with single large files the rates will be higher. Nevertheless 2.3GB/s is really good and way more than enough for the average user, but I'm curious what type of transfer that was.

I'm curious to know what type of file that 170GB was... When I run my tests, I'd like to use the same file (type/kind) so that it's similar. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  10. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    hmmmm...what kind of a copy test was that? copy paste from one drive to another? or copy paste onto the same drive?

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    iunlock likes this.