*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    I'm currently (very slowly) tuning my memory. I'm going for a 4000 to 4200mhz OC with 1.45 at 15,15,15, 38. Going to be a long and tedious process, but I want to make absolutely sure it is stable.

Mr. Fox, jaybee83, Robbo99999 and 2 others like this.
  2. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    So this happen today...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Rage Set likes this.
  3. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:

Wow. That truly sucks. Was your rig running when it started leaking? I hope everything survives.

4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Yep, it was running, but I wasn't really doing anything as I was getting read to start uploading scores. I looked over at it a few times and noticed it said overheating. Kind of shook it off then I look a bit closer and seen a puddle dripping from the top of the block down to the MB. I pulled the plug. Board and PSU are fine. I haven't fully put the card back together for rma yet. Working on that now.

jaybee83, Prema, Robbo99999 and 3 others like this.
  5. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Small update.
    Card seems fine but EVGA still wants me to send everything in, so I'll be shipping it all off on Monday.

Convel, Mr. Fox, jaybee83 and 5 others like this.
  6. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Very nice. RAM tuning...phew...It can get tedious indeed... looking forward to where you can land it...

Wow...Eject eject...good thing you caught it in time. Also, glad that you're getting it taken care of by evga.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  7. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Interesting story. If true, people wanting to pick up a new Intel CPU for desktop (and maybe HEDT) may want to wait to see when this happens.
    https://segmentnext.com/2019/06/21/intel-cpu-prices-drop-counter-ryzen/

As Stepongzi said of the upcoming Ryzen 3000 chips, it seems a bit like broadwell on the clock speeds (my take on that is Broadwell-e where IPC is higher, lower clocks, winds up hitting about the same as prior gen on performance when overclocked, so not really a fun bench).

Either way, if the price cuts are true, depending on where prices wind up, may mean a person looking at getting a new chip (@jaybee83 - if you haven't picked one up yet, I know you were looking awhile back), this could be good news!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    jaybee83 and iunlock like this.
  8. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Tis is true.

Same here.

Card was wet, but Vaso save it from a certain death. Same with shop towels. They soaked up a lot of it when it started falling. Along with Vaso in the pcie slot. Without the prep work, I think I would have lost the board, psu, card and block....

Prema, jaybee83, Rage Set and 4 others like this.
  9. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Great news... That'd be good for us consumers.

As for the new Ryzen, I'm still intrigued for the sake of the price point and for regular usage with gaming etc... It's a lot of engine for the buck and I plan to still do a build with it, however, for enthusiast stuff it still sits where the past Gen did with scaling for the most part. There were some ln2 action going on at the recent shows with the new Ryzen, but the results were as expected.

Nevertheless, AMDs new line will allow them to shine for the time being, while Intel plays defense until the 10nm's get into action.

Glad that the air bags and seat belt saved the board. :)

10. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Oh, I'm not suggesting don't buy AMD's new CPUs. I'm suggesting buy what is right for the person.

Take jaybee for example. He wants a newer chip that slaps down in his old socket with a modified BIOS. It is cheaper than buying a whole new platform. Same with people with Z370 boards and an 8700K. If the price cut is true, that is a 9900K at about $425. That is $25 more than the 3800X and about $95 more than a 3700X. At that point, getting a newer chip to put in the socket makes sense, unless worried about security. Most would opt for the new chip over new platform.

Meanwhile, AMD has said they think the 3700X will be their main seller as it overclocks about to where the 3800X does. That means it still offers value for people building new systems.

Moreover, some people just don't like to see a lower frequency. And if performance is a push, no reason to get a new chip this year (meaning anyone with a 7960X/7980XE/9960X/9980XE or 9900K/F/C for 16-core and 8-core, respectively). But, if you are looking to upgrade the CPU, same platform, no new MB cost, etc., makes sense.

Either way, I've got to wait for the new TR for my platform, which is like 4-7 months. Should at least have the heat better spread out than mainstream, higher binned chips, so should have a good performance boost for me with gen 1 TR.

Also, from what is known, no roadmap for 10nm on desktop (yes for mobile and server). I'd be surprised if we don't have to wait for 7nm Intel for them to truly hit back on desktop (which should pack a wallop when they do). Two years of lagging on desktop isn't a horrible thing (meaning sales, not performance, which even then, AMD only has 18% on desktop and is projected for an additional 6%, meaning Intel will still hold 76% of that market; whereas the DIY community, a subset of the entire desktop market, has flipped to buying AMD 2 to 1). So in full context, analysts see this as not fully changing the equation. Cutting prices for competitiveness makes sense. And, overall, consumer wins, regardless of what you buy.

Edit: Although it also means resell values on Intel chips may drop moving forward and Intel may not retain as much as it used to in the past.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Rage Set, jaybee83 and iunlock like this.