*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You couldn't run the same tests I did at the increased test sizes could you? I'm trying to compare my drive to the known 'best' performance standards (ie 970 Evo/Evo Plus & 970 Pro), but can't find any 16 and 32GiB CrystalDiskMark tests on the web. I'm curious if those drives have the same write holes that my drive does.

2. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    you can basically go by the official specs, Samsung is pretty transparent in this regard and lists the TLC speed after the SLC cache has been used up:

970 Evo 2TB
    Seq. Read - 3500 MB/S
    Seq. Write - 2500 MB/s (SLC Cache) / 1250 MB/s (TLC)

970 Evo Plus 2TB
    Seq. Read - 3500 MB/s
    Seq. Write - 3300 MB/s (SLC Cache) / 1750 MB/s (TLC)

The 970 Pro are MLC drives, thus they don't require an SLC Cache and provide the full seq. write performance over the whole drive capacity (as long as thermals are in check, of course).

Also note that depending on drive capacity, ssd model and available/free capacity, the SLC Cache can take on various sizes. So you need to take those points into consideration when trying to test the actual TLC NAND performance.

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Convel, Robbo99999 and iunlock like this.
  3. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Can I you mean? Absolutely. :) I've been busy with this Ryzen build the last few days, but surely I'll do some runs and post them. Now remember, that there are a lot of aspects to SSD's than just peak speeds. The integrity of the memory chips, controller, DRAM. SLC cache size and quality etc... and how all of that works together are major factors to what makes an SSD a good SSD. I've written a piece on explaining what a lot of these competitors are doing in trying to take a piece of the market share by turning up the "water pressure," on their controllers just to reach the numbers in order to compete against Samsung. Most have gone as far as even offering the same length of warranty, which is a bold move, but hey more power to them, although the quality and integrity of their SSD does not match up against Samsung, SKHynix and Intel.

For the the average user / gamer etc... any SSD will suit them pretty well. For professionals... I'll just say this... I don't know one professional in the industries that I'm affiliated with that uses anything but Samsung SSD's. Period. The avg. Joe would never know this type of info., but it's true.. Professional photographers to real professional editors don't mess with anything, but the best. I'm not talking about amateures lol. - But to be clear, any SSD really will suit an average person just fine, so a grab a good deal when you can.

With all that being said, I've just ordered the 2TB Sabrent SSD to use in my external NVMe enclosure to use as a scratch drive lol... It's one heck of a deal. My daily drives that I use in an external enclosure are a 2TB Samsung 860 EVO and 2TB Crucial MX500.

Very well said. The Samsung EVO Plus drives are a Beast... I was using my Samsung 1TB 960 Pro as my game drive, but due to recording my games in high resolution, I've switched to the 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus and I'm very happy with it. I trust their TLC just as much I trust the MLC and in the real world you can't even tell the difference.

Robbo99999 and jaybee83 like this.
  4. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    j95, Papusan, Rage Set and 2 others like this.
  5. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Prema likes this.
  6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    Agreed. I might be a bit "old school" with this, but I would never trust a TLC drive as my main/OS drive. So MLC all the way, and likely gonna stick to the 970 Pro for a looong time, since it will likely be the very last high-performance SSD we see equipped with MLC NAND. As for my media (games, videos, pictures) I'm willing to go the TLC route, but only Samsung. That's why I treated myself to two 4TB 860 Evo's, gonna pick up the second one today, woooo :D I admit I was thinking about the QVO for a while, but to be honest it's still too new, unproven and also SLOW for my taste :p Plus, I got one HECK of a deal for both the 4TB 860 Evos on Ebay, that I couldn't pass that up :) 970 USD total for BOTH, unopened/brand new, shipping/import/tax included :cool: Nuff' said! :D

Rage Set and iunlock like this.
  7. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    That's awesome bro and congrats. I respect your school view on this subject matter, because I've been following the SSD/storage memory for over a decade+ from before I shot photography and have seen the progression of the manipulation enter the market by low-mid tier companies.

The Samsung 970 Pro is awesome and I use that as my main OS drive as well...the thing is a beast. Before the 970 Pro I was using the 960 Pro as my main OS drive and now it's serving as my main game drive in the desktop rig. Gosh that thing has so much miles on it lol, but I don't think twice about it and it has been running like the day I had first installed it.

When it comes to MLC, TLC, and now the new QLC, I still trust Samsung's TLC over other brands MLC without hesitation. (Ex. I'd trust the proven bullet proof Samsung EVO line over other knock off MLC based memory any day.) Heck, and I mean this when I say this, I would trust Samsung QLC over other brands TLC hands down... this is something I'd be willing to bet on at the NAND craps table lol.

The thing is, I own several brands and have a lot of flight time with them to know how it really does, which is why I'm passionate when it comes to this sector of tech, because unless one follows it closely, they'll often just get tricked by the marketing hype behind inflated numbers through using gamble tactics like over working their controllers and such... it's the nature of the tech industry and everyone wants a piece of the pie.

Going back to your monster storage set up, it's crazy how fast even 8TB of ssd storage can fill up eh? This is why I'm swapping out my 1TB Samsung 960 Pro for the 2TB EVO Plus, because of the game recording files that are huge. As for the future of MLC... I hope that Samsung still comes around to keep producing MLC drives for the consumer market in the future. Even if they stop and only produce MLC for the enterprise realm, do keep in mind that many high end servers use Samsung PM963 Enterprise TLC SSD's in major data centers so again... I'll still take Samsung TLC over other brands MLC any day... tested and proven...

If you get around to picking up a 970 EVO Plus I think you'd be very surprised since you're familiar with the Pro line... it's that good. :)

jaybee83 likes this.
  8. User32

User32 Toughbook Master Race

Reputations:
    Getting real tired of these Waterfox crashes i'm getting due to memory errors, ASUS go fix your garbage BIOS already!

EDIT: Also having weird issues related to fan control too!

9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Cool, I'll be interested to see those 16GiB and 32GiB tests that you're gonna post for your 970 Evo Plus and 970 Pro. I really haven't been able to find any testing on the internet, and I just want to see how far off my drives are from the trusted benchmark that is Samsung SSD.

iunlock and jaybee83 like this.
  10. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    haha im reaaally hoping that those 8TB will last me a while, upgraded from an 5TB external drive and now for the first time completely free of spinning rust with a total of 9.5 TB ssd space wooooo :)

also used the chance to try out RAID 0 for the first time ever on these two 860 Evos. if anyone is interested i can do a summary/overview of the benches showing in what areas the RAID 0 setup would benefit over using single drives.

Personally, I won't be going the RAID route though, if anything happens to my machine i want to be able to just pull out the drives and read the data off of them in a different system :)

on another note: really hope those rumors regarding a possible 2TB 970 Pro will come true!

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Robbo99999 and iunlock like this.