*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yep, I agree. (You don't have Spectre/Meltdown initiated for that 6700K score, whereas I do on my calculations, and that might be Win7 and not Win10, but yeah).

Papusan likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    @iunlock - here is the info you are looking for, bro. Resistor part number in the quote above.

[​IMG]

iunlock likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Windows 10 but no Spectre/Meltdown patches. This wasn't topic back in 2017:biggrin:

Robbo99999 likes this.
  4. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Thanks brother for the confirmation. 10 ohms it is. :)

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Hey, we got a new Intel overclocking software for the latest 9xxx series CPUs - apparently it auto overclocks individual cores. I don't really know exactly what that means, if they're referring to overclocking every individual physical CPU core to a different max overclock depending on how stable that core is, or are they perhaps talking about 1 core/2 core/3core/all core loads having different max overclocks (which is what we have been able to do in the past anyway).

Here's the guru3d article: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/i...ftware-and-is-to-release-new-core-x-cpus.html

Here's the link to the intel overclocking software: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/core/performance-maximizer.html

I'm looking forward to you guys testing this, seeing what it's all about, and if it's any good?

EDIT: found out there's a whole lot of caveats and requirements to using this software, listed in the release notes (https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28772/eng/Intel(R)_Performance_Maximizer_1.0.1_Release_Notes.pdf). It creates a seperate 16GB partition on one of your drives for a start, and that's naming just one curiosity - I think all these caveats are gonna be a bit of a turn off for most enthusiasts here!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    jaybee83 and iunlock like this.
  6. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Also, anyone out there with a high end NVMe drive, like 970 Evo or 970 Pro. I recently bought a budget NVMe drive called Sabrent Rocket 1TB that has high end specs (I think I mentioned it maybe a week ago here), but someone in the SSD thread asked if I could test CrystalDiskMark at different Test Sizes - 16GiB, and 32GiB. The test normally defaults to just 1GiB. Anyway, I saw write slow downs on some of the variables in the 16GiB and 32GiB tests, I'll attach my results at the end of this post. Could someone with high end 970 Evo or 970 Pro drives (or similar) run CrystalDiskMark at those increased Test Sizes and post up your results? (I can't find any 16GiB or 32GiB tests on NVMe drives using Google).

Here are my results:
    CrystalDiskMark 32GiB.jpg CrystalDiskMark 16GiB.jpg CrystalDiskMark 8GiB.jpg CrystalDiskMark 1GiB.jpg

jaybee83 and iunlock like this.
  7. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    I don't think the majority of members that frequent this thread will use software to automate their CPU overclocking. It will behoove Intel not to release any OC application that would push their chips to the brink of failure and as such will be useless to me personally. I already know my best and safe everyday OC for my chips. The funny thing (and as mentioned by some commentators from that guru3d article), it wasn't long ago when Intel was telling people not to OC their chips. Such change of heart.

Convel, iunlock and Papusan like this.
  8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Yeah, I see your points you make. I think the one interesting thing about this software is that in the guru3d article it intimates that the overclocking software will apply a different overclock to each of your cores depending on how stable each one is - so customised overclock for each physical core. I'm not sure if I've read into it wrong, but that seemed very different to a conventional overclock, and I was curious to see if it was true & also to see what kind of a difference it made.

EDIT: There's a guy over in the comment section of that Guru3d article that's testing it now, I talked to him about the overclocking individual cores thing, and I think he knows what I mean...and he's gonna test it once it's finished running the auto tune - to see if it's true.

iunlock likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Have posted my thoughts about this new tool here http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1302#post-10924479

Conclusion.
    Yeah, A lot of downsides and almost no benefits with this new Intel OC tool. I will continue use ThrottleStop with the superior Prema firmware. Won't spend time on this. Will it be a success? Not for the enthusiasts who like fiddle with own hardware. And I'm not even sure this new tool will be a success to hook up the less interested aka the Average Joe.

10. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Interesting, but yea as some of the fellas have said, enthusiasts would prefer flying manually with full control over their OC. The tool may be interesting for gaming and such if it can indeed scale each core to its most efficent frequency, but other than that definitely not for benching. One of the great pleasures of OC'ing and being an enthusiast is having the ability to tune your hardware. I along with many of us here get a thrill of seeing where a silicon stands and how far it can be pushed.

Take for example this fresh new out of the box 8700K that I've just delidded... stock it would do no more than 52x on all cores... now I'm in the process of tuning it to see how efficient I can get it at 53x and hopefully 54x. For a new SKU I'm thrilled to see this chip hitting those numbers.

When I have some free time I might give it a whril to test it out for giggles, but we'll see... the app may be a lot better than a stock auto tune switch in the bios though, since it seems like it won't be overloading the CPU with crazy voltages lol...

Oh neat. Thanks for posting those... I have the 2TB 970 Evo Plus in my daily and 1TB 970 Pro as will. The 960 Pro is in the gaming rig at the moment. I've seen the sabrent drives go on sale often, in fact just today I saw that it's on sale again on amazon lol. It's basically the same relabeled drive as the Inland, corsair, mydigitalssd ssd etc... with this using the Phison E12 controller and sharing the same toshiba 64 layer TLC NAND. The phison E12 runs pretty warm, but it gets the job done. As for the toshiba chips...above average, but definitely not for professional work loads as it degrades at a pretty fast rate with heavy writes.

It's a decent drive for sure, but it does have its limitations as you've experienced with the SLC cache getting exhausted with larger file transfers. For the price though and for the average user it's one heck of a bargain... 2TB for $239, 1TB for $109 etc.. on sale.

I've been tempted to just get one for giggles to throw in the Ryzen build or heck in the external nvme enclosure... hhhmmm....

Robbo99999 likes this.