*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Did you see the change from a 64 Wave to 32 wave and increasing the SIMD from 16 to 32 so that now for WAVE 32 it takes one cycle to process instead of 2 cycles and instead of Wave 64 taking 4 cycles, it finishes in 2 cycles?

They also did a large reworking of the cache structure, which should help and is why increasing the bandwidth on prior cards helped so much to increase performance. Here is a video discussing some of that from GN with David Canter:

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Sometimes user error paints a gloomier picture than necessary. I wouldn't write it off too early. When I said "probably the CPU and chipset" that was not to imply they were no good as much as the fact that they are different. Poor numbers are frequently a reflection of user error or lack of knowledge about what to do to fix them.

I hope your reservations are correct. I share them. But, again... if the vBIOS will cross-flash and produce basically the same results I won't care all that much. There's no loss in that scenario as far as I am concerned. But, the element of dirty pool is still there. And, some of the purists and worry worts won't view cross-flashing firmware as being acceptable.

Awesome. If anyone can help, I knew it would be you. Thanks for jumping in.

3. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Your sub timings do not line up with your standard timings.

4. User32

User32 Toughbook Master Race

Reputations:
    Ergo, I should use Ryzen Timing Calculator?

5. User32

User32 Toughbook Master Race

Reputations:
    Some Ryzen DRAM Calculator magic later:
    [​IMG]

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Interesting video. One of the statements David Canter made that I really like, although taken somewhat out of context in my application of it, was (at 21:43) :
    "If you're making things for consoles and primarily desktop PCs power is not necessarily the most critical thing."

I just hope that brute PC performance remains the primary driving factor and they don't get too caught up in the "following the money" nonsense so to speak. The focus on reducing power to accommodate mobile garbage might help mobile, but not PC. The inordinate focus on mobile garbage has become the bane of our existence in PC enthusiast world. I prefer the concept of doing more with more, not more with less. The latter smacks of compromise, (which sucks,) while the former leaves no room for compromise... power consumption be damned. If it uses lots of power, so be it. So what. Just give us brute performance and let the power numbers fall where they may. Who cares about mobile. (Just my opinion.) But, they'll probably follow the money because that's what they have to care about more than anything else. No money, no product. If they allow the tail to wag the dog by partnering with Samsung, it might result in more mediocrity in the PC landscape only for the sake of accommodating the advancement of mobile crap.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    ajc9988 and Rage Set like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If you are referring to the tRAS, 34 does seem really high for CL14. I would be thinking that should fall somewhere in the 20's. But, I am not sure what works for Ryzen.

Yeah, that is certainly moving things in the right direction. Major improvement. Good job.

I don't know if this will work for Ryzen or not, but here are the timings I use for 4000 CL15 if you want to try any of them to see if they work better or worse.
    RAM_4000-CL15-A.jpg

ajc9988, jaybee83, Rage Set and 2 others like this.
  8. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    35.6_9900K_4545Mhz.png
    That is one of the 7 or so others that need to be adjusted accordingly. Just setting 14-14-14 can be worse than running 16-16-16

This runs better on Z390 than it does on X299. No way I can pull of this on there.

ajc9988, jaybee83, Rage Set and 2 others like this.
  9. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Looks pretty serious for the new refresh/upgrades to the 20X0 Nvidia cards:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidi...ew-RTX-2080-Ti-and-2070-Ti-GPUs.423799.0.html

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    The backtracking begins. There likely will be refreshes of the 2060 through the 2080, to beat Navi but nothing on top. We will see a successor to the 2080 TI, but it won't be this year.

Papusan, Mr. Fox and ajc9988 like this.