*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Or

We all were the beta testers and they finally came to their sense and said....Let them have what they been asking for. Now. If that were there truth, then I would really like to do them in at that point!

Also this price is suppose to be higher than the original 2080 TI, well that cost was $1250 and up to begin with. Averaging around $1400 with no water block and custom pcb.

Even Nvidia is selling the founders edition for $1200 as of today's date.

So it would also seem like some will be trying to rip the vbios from this new super card and testing it out on theirs if things are really that different.

I guess we shall see next week....

jaybee83, Papusan and AHMED KARAM like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yup, it will be interesting to find out.

If there is a 2080 Ti Super, I'll definitely cross flash it to see if it works. The K|INGP|N vBIOS does, which is surprising. (Wasn't that a first?) If the 2080 Ti Super vBIOS cross flashes with no brick and unlocks the same performance then it will be a non-issue. And, that would be kind of typical for NVIDIA, since they do more smoke and mirrors with firmware and drivers than they do with hardware.

The cost is one thing. Not great, but we know and accept that... it's part of the hobby. But, the treachery aspect of it is what I find disturbing. Treating customers right is important, and that just ain't right. But, if a firmware cross-flash levels the playing field and magically makes it a "Super" as far as overclocking and benchmarks are concerned, then I'll not care any more and it won't matter.

Convel, Papusan and Johnksss like this.
  3. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    True.That is a first! The earlier versions of the K|INGP|N vBIOS versions never worked right on any other card other than itself.

Yep, talking about the treachery part. They are good for that one. That's for sure, but at the same time...They are good for the hype and fizzle in real life performance come launch day. That's usually another 3 to 6 month journey in to a performance increase...

Also i'm already use to the pricing nonsense...Although they did come down for a month or so, but seems that they are going right back up.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    They will eventually slit their own throats on the pricing. If it continues on the current path it will become a situation that I just can't do it any more. And, that applies to a lot of people. Things are getting to the point that pursuing the hobby amounts to utter foolishness unless you're so wealthy that money is no object. It has always been expensive, but the cost now is unprecedented and reaching the point of being unacceptable.

That custom PCB and no available water block situation you mentioned in a previous post is a real pisser. No point in owning it if you have to run an air cooled throttle-meister, chintzy AIO, or have to cobble together a makeshift /homemade water cooling solution. That sucks. If it's super expensive it should also be super nice.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Papusan and Johnksss like this.
  5. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    That's why people bench old hardware...:)The more people in a category the easier to obtain points. So using your cpu on older hardware would net far more than you just benching your 2080 ti. Why? Because those points are far harder to lose.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. User32

User32 Toughbook Master Race

Reputations:
    Why are my AIDA bandwidth scores such dogsh*t after I upgraded to a 3000 CL14 dual-rank B-die kit?
    [​IMG]

And that's OC'ed to 3266 by bCLK too!

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If I had to guess, probably the CPU and chipset. Those are pretty poor numbers. The latency is atrocious, too. Maybe @ajc9988 can provide some pointers for cleaning those numbers up, since he is one of the only AMD CPU overclockers in our community.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  8. User32

User32 Toughbook Master Race

Reputations:
    X470 a poor chipset :thinking:

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    I have very high reservations against Nvidia releasing a new 2080 TI Super, when they are obviously looking to a new process node. Nvidia has refreshed their cards but not their top consumer card so soon into its life cycle.

Then again, this is the first time they released a TI variant during the launch of a new product line. Perhaps, they know something about AMD that we don't.

10. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I'll be able to work with you a bit on it, but Zen is a different animal than Intel, and your numbers will look a bit worse comparatively. Here is mine in sub-optimal conditions of hundreds of tabs open, word, excel, and snipping tool open:
    upload_2019-6-13_13-9-59.png
    That is at 4.2GHz (ignore it reading 4.1GHz, it is an error due to having virtualization turned on for the CPU in Windows and the BIOS, it reads correctly when turned off) with memory at 3466@CL14-15-15, single rank DIMMs (which are easier for higher speeds).

I may not be able to help until this evening, tomorrow, or this weekend, though.

Also, for cache speeds, because of two dies, mine are doubled, same with the memory speeds (since quad channel instead of dual channel on the mainstream platform).

What work have you already tried on OCing the ram? Can you post an image of Ryzen Timing Checker (RTC) written by the Stilt and downloadable from techpowerup?

Convel, Robbo99999, jaybee83 and 3 others like this.