*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Looks like the fake SLI totally screws up the CPU performance. Unless the laptop is overheating and malfunctioning, there's no way the desktop 9900K running at 4.9GHz should be stomping on the Clevo's nut sack like that with it running its 9900K at 5.2GHz.

It also looks like 3DMark is doing some manipulations to alter graphics scores based on platform, but that's nothing new. They seem to have been playing dirty pool like that for a few years now. You're not going to get "real" scores with their broken POS 3DMark Time Spy or Fire Strike, unless you're running hardware and an OS version that they want to have real scores. Everything else is artificially broken or manipulated to look the way they want (or get paid) for it to look.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Papusan, Rage Set and Johnksss like this.
  2. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Only talking about GPU scores and how its right up there with other NVlink 2080's.(Now there are plenty of benchmarks where it does not work well at all. Like Catzilla) Going to have to get back at it and see about beating his gpu score since i'm pretty close to it now.

jaybee83, Rage Set, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Probably because the benchmark algorithm just sees "2080 SLI" and gives it a good score instead of capping the FPS to suppress the score. If it saw "2080 Ti SLI" it would probably uncap it a little bit more based on what it thinks the installed hardware is.

Papusan, jaybee83 and Rage Set like this.
  4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Not sure. All firestrike and most of the others work as they are suppose to while Night Raid has like a flickering screen or an overlay but runs. Not like too much voltage, but more like mix matched cards trying to work together./ all catzilla - runs like single card. Port Royal has a flashing screen, but you can see it running...sort of. haha.

Edit: Better explanation is every other frame is jacked up.

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I have the most trouble with Time Spy, VR Mark and Port Royal. I can run 3DMark 11, Vantage, Fire Strike, Sky Diver and play games with the memory cranked to 1400+ but those DX12 and/or RTX POS benchmarks are totally effed up and misbehave unless I drop the memory down to like 1200-1300. They won't even finish test 1 without their dumba$$ "Ooops an error occurred" error nonsense. Sometimes won't even START test 1. Hardware monitoring makes those problems worse. Can't think of any reason they really "need" to monitor my hardware or anyone else's hardware. None of their damned business. They just need to crunch the numbers, do the math, save the results in their database, and shut the hell up. But, they're probably getting paid for the manipulation and policing scores to keep the "unfit" or obsolete products from winning.

6. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Timespy seems to sensitive to memory video memory overclocks. VR Mark is up in the air for me. Top being 16275 on Orange And that goes for Port Royal as well. Solid 10.3's but that seems to be about it for now.

Edit: Not so sure about that. There are plenty of old products kicking butt and taking names.

Papusan, jaybee83, Robbo99999 and 2 others like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I've got no proof, but I'm pretty sure they're using secret cancer and hidden frame rate limiters to keep everyone in check, and so they can control what the rest of the world sees in terms of benchmark scores. Can't have older products and obsolete Windows versions playing vicious rump ranger and ripping heads off the new trash, cause that's bad for business. Just make it crash if it is too good, or just block it so it can't run, then they don't have to explain any weird numbers that don't make sense to stupid people.

Edit: real benchmarks calculate numbers. Fake benchmark manipulate what is allowed to run and what's not. Can't run Time Spy, Night Raid or Port Royal, or Blue Room, with certain versions of Windows or without certain hardware. Because they have pre-decided the outcome. Can't respect that. It's not worthy of any respect.

8. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Well, you got me there. Don't know what to say to that. :D

Papusan, jaybee83, Rage Set and 2 others like this.
  9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yep, I saw the same thing with my GTX 1070 - Timespy is most sensitive to VRAM overclocks, and that's what I used to tune my max stable VRAM overlock (Timespy Stress Test), kind of like a worst case scenario.

jaybee83 and Papusan like this.
  10. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    I'm going to completely disassemble my X299 rig tonight, which includes a LM repaste of my 7980XE, in preparation of the KPx blocks. I'm curious if EVGA used KPX thermal paste on the KPx cards.

Papusan and iunlock like this.