*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. FaTT

FaTT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well that's a really cool idea but what isn't said in that group is how many people don't send it back ect. me personally I would never give anyone anything I wasn't willing to loose

custom90gt likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, quite the beast desktop. I am truly envious of it. My desktop is going to seem like an Ultrabook now in comparison, LOL.

Well, it is boxed up and ready, but based on shipping costs I think he is going to want to go with FedEx ground, which should put it there the day after Christmas. The kicker on the ludicrous cost is how heavy this monster is. The computer box weighs 81 pounds. (Just the empty Thermaltake View 71 case is over 50 pounds all by itself.) The box with accessories weighs another 20 pounds, so a total of 101 pounds.

To ship it FedEx Ground from West Coast to East Coast is just under $340. The next fastest way gets it there by Friday but is almost $900, LOL. Ludicrous. And, that's the cheapest option. UPS is even more expensive. USPS might have been a little less, but their weight limit is 70 pounds. I will schedule the pickup with FedEx as soon as he wakes up and reads his email. Mr. Sandman is calling me now... 1:00 AM here.

DreDre and Robbo99999 like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Boys and girls. Some of of you who want to see (3 year + 8 months old) Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra from 20 April 2014? I have now started open up my Alienware 17 the "last decent/normal" 17,3 inches laptop from Alienware's factories. Everywhone of you know very well how it went with Dellienware. Down the drain with a BIG BANG. As the ship!!
    [​IMG]

The Liquid metal was brittle and not liquid anymore. But damn... This 4930MX has run flawless in near 4 year with same Liquid Ultra. I tested Cinebench R15 with 841cb with 4.2GHz and 85C before I open up (+85w in bench). Amazing this is possible with destroyed LM and the tiny tiny cpu HS (2 heatpipes vs. 3 for AW18)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Has started collecting brittle Liquid metal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I would definitely go with 7700K. It's an excellent 4C/8T CPU and it will run circles around the 7600K. I do not have a use for the i5, but I sincerely appreciate you asking. You should check to verify your ASUS board has a BIOS update for KBL first.

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Wow, already nearly 4 years have past. That went by so fast. And, the CLU held up extremely well. Great info.

It is really sad that Alienware doesn't make excellent products like that any more.

DreDre and Papusan like this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah the years go/fly very fast, bro Fox. Next spring and this machine will pass 5 year. I bought the AW17 early 2013, before I start to post in the forum.

With new Liquid metal will this chips probably have 3-4 more years in front of it. And it run faster than most of the new modern BGA junk from Intels Mobile tragedy lineup.

BTW. Talk about the sun... The new trash is around the corner Intel Core i7-8720HQ Mobile Six-core Processor Spotted in the Wild
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    DreDre, Mr. Fox and Robbo99999 like this.
  7. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They always sent it on to the next person in the chain, it was only when the chain had finished that it was to be sent back to the original purchaser. Last time I checked it had gone through about 20 users already, that's pretty cool I reckon.

FaTT and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Wow, that's a lot of added cost for the dude, well he gets your expertise! Ha, yeah, an 8700K and just one 1080ti is humble in comparison, but where are you gonna stop, there's always something bigger & faster out there unless you commit to spending probably 10's of thousands of dollars every year or so or something!

FaTT and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I put liquid metal (CLU) on my GPU just before the Summer, I'm hoping it will last me for the life of the GPU & that I'll never have to open it up again. I can't see myself keeping the GPU for longer than 4 yrs from now, maybe 3, I might upgrade to the next architecture after Volta. Praps it doesn't matter if the liquid metal dries out, it's conductive metal afterall, so perhaps the dryness doesn't affect the heat transfer? Do you think it dries out faster when the chip reaches higher temperatures (like in laptops)? My GPU doesn't go over 70 degC, so hoping the liquid metal will love long time!

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    The fit determine the end results. Good contact between die and HS is everything. The weird/strange is that even old brittle Liquid metal even work well, LOL:)

Robbo99999 and KY_BULLET like this.