*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, that is definitely true. Windows 10 is so bogged down with worthless feces running in the background that it is a wonder that any resources are left to display your desktop wallpaper. If you let it have its own way, everything runs like trash. It is totally asinine and ludicrous how much utter rubbish is running by default on an untweaked Windows 10 system.

iunlock and Papusan like this.
  2. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Prema, Convel, iunlock and 2 others like this.
  3. rodarkone

rodarkone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nice .... :) now you need exotic cooling - we all need Mr Fox magic and move to chillers :)

Btw I saw some folks are using portable ac units, if I remember (again) Mr Fox had one and use it for laptops ... any yey/ney’s ?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Thanks. My next step is DICE but I'm still pondering the idea of a chiller. A chiller would be an easier component to integrate into my current cooling setups. I have a portable AC that I purchased for OC'ing, but I'm using it for actual cooling of parts of my home. When I install my other AC's around the house, I'll use the portable AC for its real purpose, hahaha.

jaybee83 likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    *BOOM* That happened. Awesome score, bro. :vbthumbsup:

Glad that helped. Other than the things Windows 10 won't let me disable even running NSudo as Trusted Installer, I only allow the services Windows 10 needs to function for my Extreme profile. My Default daily driver services profile only has a few core services with dependencies, like the Micro$oft Office Click-to-Run Service and the validation service needed to keep Windows 10 from losing its activation. Everything else deserves to die, LOL. Autoruns is also useful.

Did you know you can also kill explorer.exe with Task Manager after opening the benchmark? Then restart it Ctrl+Alt+Del > Task Manager, then run New Task > explorer.exe to get the desktop back. The frees up services for the CPU as well. Sometimes doing that makes enough difference to move up one notch in ranking when you're right on the verge of overtaking the next highest score and cannot muster the juice to do it otherwise.
    @JoeT44 used his portable AC unit with the desktop and it helped a lot. It's not as effective as the water chiller. You would still see a huge benefit from it if you channeled the air directly into the case and forced the radiators to suck in only chilled air. And, it helps keep your work space more comfortable. If you want to take the overclocking to the highest possible level short of using DICE, LN2 or other extreme measures, chilled water is the only way to go. The down side to the chiller is having to watch out for condensation and it makes your work space warmer due to the hot air it creates (just like having an AC unit not exhausted outside). I think both use about the same amount of electricity. Their internal components are essentially the same thing conceptually. One chills air and the other chills water.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Papusan, Rage Set and Robbo99999 like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Prema, sweepersc2, Papusan and 5 others like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Here's a nice AIDA64... Not quite my fastest on read only, but I think it might be my best across all measurements (haven't checked to confirm that).
    AIDA64-Read-122506.JPG

Prema, Papusan, jaybee83 and 4 others like this.
  8. ekkolp

ekkolp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What do you think about nvLink for gaming? 2x rtx 2080 for example.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I have always loved SLI and seldom had issues with it for gaming. In most cases I could tweak things with NVIDIA Inspector and get better performance than single GPU. In the rare case I could not, disabling SLI and playing with single GPU gave me the same experience as everyone running one GPU.

The only issue I see with it now is the cost of RTX cards is stupid. Since it is not necessary for gaming, probably not a smart thing to do in terms of cost. I would say NVLINK is probably best reserved for those that have lots of discretionary money to spend and plan on doing a lot of overclocked benching. If I could afford it (and I can't) I would definitely do 2x 2080 Ti for overclocked benching. I haven't had a dual GPU setup for a while now and I really miss it.

bennyg, Papusan, Convel and 2 others like this.
  10. rodarkone

rodarkone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox - what chiller do you have ? I found the Hailea 500A for 500$ at performance-pcs seems a good deal