*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    yeah, thats what i meant by saying they bin voltage, not clocks. they set a predefined voltage and just check how high a chip can go clock- and temperature wise with that voltage. this allows them to bin a high volume in a short amount of time. plus, the result in consumer hands is more positive with a high probability, since everyone who actually tunes the voltage will achieve at least the same clocks at lower voltage or higher clocks at same voltage. thus, happy customers and easy binning for SL. from a business perspective, that's pretty smart. and from an enthusiast perspective: nobody cares, since every enthuasiast would do his/her own manual binning anyways :) thats where the fun is after all!

btw @Mr. Fox thx for pointing out that handy service tool, perfect!

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

2. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    That's very true when volume is involved. What always made me cringe is the thought of someone who doesn't know much about OC/Tuning.... buying an SL cpu and running it at those high voltages right off the get go. :eek:

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. JoeT44

JoeT44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. JoeT44

JoeT44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm going for 16K:rolleyes: Capture4.JPG

Prema, Papusan, jaybee83 and 3 others like this.
  5. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I managed to run my Ryzen 7 1700 at 3.9GHz with 1.325 volts in Prime95 stable and memory put at 3466C16, anything higher and it bonkers out.
    Now the problem is I use ASRock AB350M with 6+2 phase, but the Vdroop is stupid high, in UEFI its set to 1.4 volts but during stress test the actual voltage goes to 1.325 volts and idles at 1.4 otherwise.
    There no LLC settings in the UEFI, does anyone know if these offset settings I got could help to solve this issue? I got two offset one for CPU and one for SoC, they go in incremental in 50mv all from -200 to 500 on both.

Also is idling at 1.50 volts a dangerous thing to do?

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  6. rodarkone

rodarkone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Prema, Convel, JoeT44 and 3 others like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    From what you are describing, perhaps the issues you are experiencing are the result of a poorly designed motherboard and firmware rather than the CPU and RAM.

You will find lots of opinions on the voltage. My opinion is that 1.500V is pretty high, but as long as the CPU doesn't overheat it would be OK for short periods of benching. That is assuming you keep it nice and cool. Probably wouldn't want to leave it like that for 24/7 use. I wouldn't say it is dangerous per se, or that it is going to kill your CPU suddenly and unexpectedly. It's definitely not ideal. Heat is bad. Heat + high voltage is extra bad. Cold + high voltage, not so much. And, I base this on my experience with Intel CPUs. It could be as worthless as tits on a boar with an AMD CPU and should be taken in that context.

I think maybe you'd be better off investing in a higher quality enthusiast/overclocker-centric motherboard as opposed to running the CPU at 1.500V idle just to have enough voltage under load on account of the goofed up VDROOP thing on. Sometimes the stuff made for gamers isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

Great score, bro. Your GPU is really humming. Based on your clock speeds the graphics score is exactly where it should be. Looks at the graphics scores in this comparison. Less than 1% variance between them. :vbthumbsup:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/7228717/spy/7235600

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    SMGJohn, Papusan and Rage Set like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    SL binned chips is tested with AVX Offset: 2 for Avx load I think. And Caseking use the older Prime95 26.6 with 1344K.

jaybee83 and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. rodarkone

rodarkone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks, yeah GPU is decent with the cooling ... But I am struggling with the CPU but I can only hope for better :)

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/19384857

Playing with other toys ... I need a 2080Ti break

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, definitely something is wrong with the Cpu settings or a lot nasty running in the background. From my older test. 8700K@4.7GHz (Well above 21K in FS Physics with 3 bin lower clocks)
    upload_2019-5-21_3-3-13.png

Rage Set and Mr. Fox like this.