*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Regarding Samsung B-Die etc... So I've combed through several 'trusted' tech articles in multiple languages about the nitty gritty on B-Die and it's basically going to be getting replaced by Samsung's A-Die which is a newer generation chip and process like what we see with cpu's and gpu's. However, not all B-Die production is EOL.

There will still be some B-Die production, however, it just might be getting phased out naturally once A-Die replaces it with a process that is better than the previous generation (B-Die). You can comb through the official Samsung charts here to see what is really EOL and what is not.

[​IMG]

We still have yet to tell how they (the new A-Die and M-Die) will perform, but it is very likely that there will be binned A-Die chips as well, which would then end up on binned RAM kits like we currently have with B-Die RAM's with tighter timings. A-Die is a lot more dense over B-Die so there could be some pro's that we don't know of yet to come out of the new process.

It's a generation refresh with a lot of unknowns so far, therefore, if you have the means to do so, it'd be a good time to stock up on some B-Die kits (only because the prices are really low right now for some kits) as the prices will likely rise as we near the launch of AMD's next gen cpu's... This has happened before, remember the RAM price spike when the Ryzen chips launched? It could happen again who know's...

At any rate, B-Die is not dead. As Samsung is moving toward the newer gen DDR5 etc... what's happening is a natural transition, which means that some B-Die processes will be getting replaced, but that doesn't mean that all B-Die is getting replaced over night.

Very interesting stuff... I'll be keeping a close eye on this for sure...

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    About 35MHz on core and 200MHz on memory is degraded on Windoze OS X. But, some of that is GeFarts driver bug with the latest 3DMark bloatware having known issues NVIDIA has been working on with the past couple of driver updates. And, some of why Windows 7 is more stable could be attributed to the fact that it doesn't support the gamer-boy gimmick crap they have used as a means of coercing the adoption of Windoze OS X filth.

Good info. Hopefully, A-die (or whatever the enthusiast replacement turns out to be) won't be binned so strictly that almost every stick sold sucks at overclocking beyond its rated stock speed and SPD values.

3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's interesting, recently (over the last month or so) I downgraded my max overclock because it was failing in Firestrike Graphics Test 2 - I shaved off 13Mhz off the core. I also had to take some off the VRAM, 20Mhz. I wonder if this is the same thing that you're seeing. Is that the Geforce/3D Mark bug you're referring to, or do you know if the same degree of instability is related to other benchmarks & games? I might increase my overclock again if it's only some strange 3DMark/Geforce driver bug. Having said that I used to occasionally get some weird temporary black screens (like missing textures) during some loading screens in BF1, and I don't remember having them recently since I downgraded my overclock. (I thought/think that my GPU had degraded just a notch over the many hours of gaming I've done on it).

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, it is primarily the 3DMark benchmarks, but I also get the same random black screens. Both have been mentioned in GeForce driver release notes, and they do not occur when I am using Windows 7 or Linux. I don't do very much in Windows 10 other than Time Spy, Fire Strike, Port Royal, etc. Those benchmarks are literally the only reason I have any use for Windows 10 at this point, and it sucks that what little reason I have to waste any drive space on it is buggered up. Everything else that is not dependent on DX12/RTX/DLSS (Windows 10 crap) works better on Windows 7 or Linux. I think it is entirely possible your situation is a symptom of Windows 10/crappy GeFarts drivers and not a degrading GPU.

Papusan and Robbo99999 like this.
  5. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You said you had issues with hardware monitoring being enabled in 3DMark when using Windows 10, so I've gone back to my old higher max overclock and I'm testing a loop of some 3DMark Firestrike tests to check stability with hardware monitoring disabled - so far so good for about 10mins, no crashing on looped GT2 on Firestrike. I'll do the same in GT1, and test in BF1 too. Maybe the latest drivers have addressed some of the problems, and maybe my previous max overclock will be usable again.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Cool. Yeah, that would not surprise me a bit.

The only features of Windows 10 that I actually like that I can think of are its built-in email client and the Win-X menu. I'm testing 1903 Insider Preview and I haven't found anything better or beneficial with it so far. (Just installed it today to see if the Redmond Retards have learned how to do anything right lately, and it doesn't seem like it so far.)

Edit: Oh yeah... I forgot that I think the new "Your Phone" app is useful. It's nice being able to grab photos and text messages (and even send/reply to texts) right from the desktop. So, they are capable of doing a few things that make sense. It's just a shame their good ideas are so few and far between. And, since those are good and useful, they'll probably kill them like they do everything else that people like, LOL. So, they get credit for doing 3 things right since Windows 7.

Capture.JPG

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    jaybee83, Papusan, SMGJohn and 3 others like this.
  7. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    I'm now number 15 in the world in Firestrike. Not bad for these KP's. https://hwbot.org/submission/4158648_ Working on TSX now. EDIT: There's much more in the tank, got to improve that physics score and I know I can go higher.

FF44571.png

8. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    LOL, I keep tripping my circuit breaker on TSX and TS benches and my UPS's scream at me. I have to order a new PSU for the cards and a 220/240v adapter.

9. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a question I cannot find a solution to because I am incompetent.
    I am trying to overclock my Ryzen and the RAM at the same time problem is once I go above 3.7GHz 1.25v on my Ryzen with the memory OC it freezes in memtest and anywhere else.

My CPU runs fine when memory is at stock speeds 3.9GHz at 1.38 volts and will do 4.0GHz with more voltage but too hot for me.
    Memory is Crucial Ballistix 3200MT/s LP CL16 overclocked to 3533MT/s CL16 with timings tightened using Ryzen DRAM calculator 1,4 volts and SoC at 1.087v. Also runs fine when CPU is at stock speed, tested in memtest.

So I tested with the SoC at 1.025 and 1.125 and neither did anything still froze, so what am I missing? I am completely clueless is there no headroom left on Ryzen? I know of people who have run these on 4GHz with some crazy memory overclock.

My motherboard is ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac with latest UEFI 5.60, not sure if it helps or not, its a 6+2 phase power setup on it, vastly better than all the 4+2 on the other ITX boards according to reviews anyway.

10. rodarkone

rodarkone Notebook Guru

Reputations: