*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I tested all 3 K|NGP|N vBIOSes and while they function, it appears the firmware accomplishes nothing on my 2080 Ti XC2 iCX card. The voltage is still capped at 1.093V (which means my max core OC is not any higher). Classified R2 app thinks the GPU is a K|INGP|N, but the sliders do not appear to change anything. (The Classified app will not launch without K|INGP|N firmware.) Understanding that the software tools may not recognize the higher core voltage, I tested it using Classified and the max core overclock is the same even when I adjust everything much higher with Classified. I also have VRel and VOps PerfCap reasons in GPU-Z that I do not have using the Aorus Extreme vBIOS.

But, it was definitely worth trying. Looks like the Green Goblin has perma-crippled voltage on everything but maybe a K|INGP|N 2080 Ti. Figures... bastards.

The only thing that seems to actually do anything is the LN2 firmware (which I have on it now) does make the voltage readings show as zero. I think that is intended. It is also supposed to remove thermal limit readings. Not sure if that works or not since I cannot overclock any higher due to capped voltage nonsense.

upload_2019-4-13_13-51-5.png @Johnksss @Talon

Convel, Arrrrbol, Robbo99999 and 4 others like this.
  2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is there a reason why you're not raising vdimm above 1.20V? (yet?)

jaybee83 and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Basically zero benefit from the K|INGP|N firmware on this GPU. Same mickey mouse 1.093V voltage limit. The Aorus Extreme 366W power limit vBIOS produces exactly the same result as the K|INGP|N 520W vBIOS. Still showing same max power draw from the wall based on same core clock and voltage limit. But, no CPU-Z PerfCap reasons using my stock EVGA firmware or Aorus Extreme firmware. But, at least the K|NGP|N firmware (LN2 vBIOS) doesn't impair performance like the Galax HOF and other so-called "enthusiast" vBIOSes do.

upload_2019-4-13_14-56-0.png

4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    K|ngp|n vBios and tools do not work as intended on anything but K|ngp|n cards. Starting from K|ngp|n GTX 780 to RTX. And vice versa.... One gets crappy results when trying to flash the other vbios files on it.
    RTX app doesn't work on 1080 ti and earlier either. And different versions of the Classified app do not work on all versions of K|ngp|n cards either.
    voltagetest.PNG

Edit:

I think the arguments in this thread pretty much relate to what's going on still today. Only they tighten down a bit more....
    https://forums.evga.com/STATEMENT-B...LE-WITH-VOLTAGE-NO-MATTER-BRAND-m2362059.aspx

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    i actually start with 1.35 vdimm and vccio/sa both at 1.25, then tighten timings, then lower the voltages again. so far stock voltages are stable :)

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

bennyg and iunlock like this.
  6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Can you not get even higher Mhz stable with increased vdimm voltage though? 1.35V would allow for greater Mhz no?

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    in theory yes. but i havent gotten anything higher than 3400 mhz booting yet, even at 1.35V vdimm and 1.25V IO/SA. thats the thing with RAM, its not just about voltages, but also timings. if they are too tight it wont work, if they are too loose it wont work either. need to dial in the "golden" values to get the system booting and error-free...

ajc9988 and Robbo99999 like this.
  8. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Bottom line of testing Notebook RTX for a week:

There is no point in even owning them as an overclocker in their current state as
    NVIDIA has introduced ''
    clock-block 3.0" by hard locking all of them to 2100Mhz.
    At that speed I have 0.050V (50mV) of unused stock voltage left on my sample,
    which can't be used for anything.
    Power limit was just a distraction and has never been the real issue.

In the end every GPU will hit that same wall and reach the same results.
    This time everyone can be a "winner" aka "Kindergarden Olympics":

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/19038559

Hooyah! (•̀ᴗ•́)و ̑̑

@Mr. Fox The throttle reason you see means that the vBIOS would allow your chip to run on higher voltage but that your specific GPU has reached it's ASIC limit at that voltage step.

Those KP cards are all cherry picked...

What you could try is to first set a curve that keeps the the chip from hitting that ASIC limit, confirm with GPU-Z, and then only use the OV slider a single step above to see if they implemented it in a way that actually only adds voltage on top and doesn't just change the default boost table/curve.
    Keep in mind that software won't show you anything above 1.093v even on the KP, so you would have to bench to see where it actually is at afterwards.

@jaybee83 nice results.
    On my own RAM I see better RL results with 3200Mhz at CL16-16-16 than 3400Mhz at CL18-18-18.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    jc_denton, ole!!!, jclausius and 13 others like this.
  9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    makes sense, 3200/16=200, whereas 3400/18=188.9, so 3200 CL16 should definitely be faster :)

iunlock likes this.
  10. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Here's a better table to help compare cl in real ns for each frequency.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/63gc1s/ram_speed_and_cl_equivalance/

That does not take into account effects of other timings.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

jaybee83 likes this.