*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    :)
    https://hwbot.org/team/premamod/#Members

Prema likes this.
  2. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Hey Prema, yea I remember getting the invite a while back. In regard to John, yes he is a good guy. I know things can get translated weird through text, but non of this is serious. :)

What is being discussed is specifically about the topic at hand. The reply and context is specifically in response to the comments that have been made.

So going back to the laptops being discussed, I wouldn't quite go as far to say that the Clevo p870tm is slaughtering the A51M. Far far from it.

At any rate, hope all has been well.

Prema likes this.
  3. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    All good mate, all good! :)

Maybe we just haven't seen the need to show our hands, yet... ;) to first give ODMs a chance to fix their own firmware:

https://twitter.com/PremaMod/status/1097220895834161152?s=19

Not many reacted in public apart from AW, but there is a lot of talk going on behind the scenes.
    Worst case we tried and failed...but at the end of the day we are all sitting in the same boat here.

Edit No. 10 (sorry my mobile connection breaks all the time):

BTW, what's up with hwbot still not acknowledging the existence of Notebook RTX?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ha, that's a good one, that's the sort of thing I would do - talking the wet clothes drying!

Prema likes this.
  5. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I hear what your saying and am not really going to go back and hash out what has already been answered many times before...
    I will answer the down play of anyone can upload benchmarks. Not everyone can rank in the top 10 or top 20 for the United States. So it's a bit more than just submitting some casual benchmarks. And the dedication i put into it allowed me to go up against the best in the US and rank. That's what it's about to me. In these forums it's just for fun and games and to see what parts can do what in the right hands. That's it that's all. Not everyone in these forums are all that interested in that which I can totally honor and respect. And they are content in doing with the parts they have. Same reason I don't bother with the AMD vs Nvidia. Or AMD vs Intel. Or Clevo vs Dell. Me personally, I don't care. Only which one will net the most points in the end. Or what I can afford to spend on moving up the ladder.

Edit: the blue was because i did not want to use black and bold.
    And of course there are no hard feelings.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    No, that is not memory voltage. It is core voltage and it is an offset. So, the stock max is 1.093V on 2080 Ti. The slider only goes to 100mV on all other GPUs and it does work for most of them. That would be a little less than 2.000V if the slider actually works correctly. So, way lots better if it works, but nothing astronomical if it works like most GPUs (which means not at all in most cases). Also, to realize the full benefit of the K|INGP|IN cards, you have to reach out to Vince or someone at EVGA (not sure which) to get the "real" extreme overclocking firmware. It doesn't ship with the extreme vBIOS. Vince has mentioned this on JayzTwoCents and GamersNexus video. If it works like prior generation GPUs, the K|INGP|N firmware probably will not work for cross-flashing.

7. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    That may actually be the memory voltage...
    [​IMG]

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It's the core voltage, but I forgot (since I use MSI Afterburner because it works better) that it is not an offset like Afterburner. It is the actual core voltage. It matches the CPU-Z and MSI Afterburner core voltage. So, in that screen shot the GPU must be running idle with the low voltage showing. If Precision X1 would allow us to lock the voltage with Ctrl+L like Afterburner, I'd use it and ditch Afterburner, but it doesn't let us do that (which makes it worthless to me).

The memory voltage shows on the far right below the slider for the memory clocks. I am looking at the voltage value in the middle (for core). It does not look like there is an adjustment for memory voltage, just a reading viewable in Precision X1. Not sure if it is controllable by the user or simply scales up by itself as the temps go down or what. Hopefully, there is a way to manipulate both core and memory voltage. The lack of comprehensive core voltage controls on 10 and 20 series NVIDIA GPUs is ludicrous. We should be able to have firmware control over the voltage and power limits on these GPUs the same as we can on K and X series CPUs.

Looking at the Kingpin user manual on the EVGA web page, they don't mention anything at all about core voltage. They only mention memory voltage goes up to 1.55V with LN2. I'd be totally pissed if I spent $1,900 on a Kingpin GPU and found it had a sucky 1.093V limit like the garden variety. What they have published is no better than I am already seeing, (2.1GHz on water... meh) so hopefully they are holding back for some weird reason.

upload_2019-4-9_18-45-18.png

Papusan, Raiderman and Johnksss like this.
  9. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    This may only make sense if you have a K|ngp|n card.

You can control the core voltage, the memory voltage and the pexvdd voltage using classified app and evbot. The app can also control the nvdd vdroop, ocp,uvp and ovp. Also though those last 4 seem suspect to me. This can not be done with non kingpin cards.

Papusan, jaybee83 and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That's good to know. I really want one because it sucks not being able to score any higher no matter what I do due to the inability to have proper control over my GPU. At least my modded 1080 Ti with Strix XOC vBIOS and hard mods was awesome with the extra effort. There is nothing awesome about my modded 2080 Ti. It's just barely better than a stock vanilla GPU. I'm really fed up with mediocre gamer-boy wuss garbage. It totally ruins everything... pure trash. Give 'em some fancy RGB junk and that's all they care about, LOL.

I wonder why they do not mention anything about this in the user manual? Seems like they would be proud of having the only Pascal and Turing GPUs that are not a castrated piece of garbage.

It's almost getting to the point now that I don't even want to do this any more because you pay a butt-load on money and end up with worthless castrated garbage that doesn't really run any better than the gamer trash and nobody even has an opportunity to compete unless they are lucky enough to be part of a tiny elite inner circle that gets special access to unique hardware and firmware that nobody else is allowed to purchase, and isn't for sale to anyone. If you're not one of them, you're wasting your time and money, and living in a dream world, trying to push the overclock using a castrated gamer-boy GPU that will never be worth a damn.

Papusan and Raiderman like this.