*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just ordered the fittings yesterday...:confused: I didnt think it was gong to ship until the 25th, so I hadnt bothered yet. I do have the cooler, just no way of getting water to it yet. Should have it by mid next week. I will post some photos here in a few minutes :)

Mr. Fox and iunlock like this.
  2. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here are some quick shots of it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

j95, JoeT44, Arrrrbol and 4 others like this.
  3. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Correct. With a lot less surface area of the direct die compared to the real estate of an IHS, the tolerance level becomes a lot more important on a direct die. This is very apparent as seen with laptops with its core differentials. This is why I lap the cold plate with laptop heat sinks in order to make sure it's perfect as possible due to the small die surface area, so you're theory is right on as validated from my flight hours of having worked with hundreds of bare die scenarios.

On the flip side if the contact point between the die and IHS is off, it could also have the same effect of a die and cold plate being off. The difference is that with a direct die contact it eliminates a variable of the possibility of the die -> contact being off, however, getting the contact points right on a die to cold plate is a lot more sensitive due to it being less forgivable.

Absolutely. :)

Amen.

Yes indeed. To add onto my reply above, the IHS being made of copper and with copper having a higher thermal retention rate among the common metals that we deal with in the realm of computers, if the thermal compound between the IHS and block can't dissipate the heat fast enough, there essentially is thermal back up occurring on the IHS. ie... the 'bandwidth' of heat is not able to transfer fast enough.

This is a very interesting topic that I've been looking into for a long time. When looking at XOC benchers, at those extreme temps with the right TIM there clearly is a point where the thermal dissipation capacity far exceeds the rate of the thermal transfer occurring during the benches. The amount of effectiveness starts to decrease right around going from DICE to the direction of the norm with chilled -> regular water...

I've analyzed a ton of bench results and when looking at regular water to DICE benchmark stats, the percentage of the thermal dissipation figures, percentage wise, sky rockets as expected, which has led me to the conclusion that everything (flipping point of the ratio of thermal dissipation) changes going from regular water to DICE, significantly.

Now that in relation to the TIM used comes to show that even with the very best regular TIM's (non LM), the w/mk is still not enough to effectively come close to a 1:1 thermal transfer rate. As you know LM drops off at around 10C with it being the limit, which has always made me wonder...gosh if Intel only soldered the 9900K correctly lol, we would be golden, but unfortunately their kindergarten solder job still forces guys like us to have to delid. (With the exception of XOC'ers using LN2..the solder is actually beneficial, although it's not the best solder job). It's good that we at least have an option to still take matters into our own hands so cheers to that eh?

Very nice brother. :)

Negative ghost rider. You're correct in that an invalid score is not eligible. I've had some of my best runs spit out an invalid result lol..total bummer so I never submitted it.

Nice. I'll be installing W7 onto my Z390 board this week as I think I've exhausted my regular water runs on W10 on this board, which did impress me but there's nothing like good ol' W7.

Well said, "I think that goes hand in hand with making sure that everything is as flat as possible, to me it seems like there's no room for errors when you go down that route."

With the bare die is a lot less forgiving, so being a little bit off translates to a lot.

Looking forward to it. Since the surface area of the die is small and with most water blocks being pretty flat, there often isn't a need to lap the block.

On the contrary with the IHS having more surface area and usually the bigger culprit over the block itself, lapping the IHS does bring greater benefits with lapping the block being an added bonus.

I wish more companies were smarter to support W7 ... this W10 rubbish is nonsense. Long live W7...

This is one thing that I wish 3DMark would change in categorizing better, because as it is right now it is complete rubbish.

People also need to understand that there exists different classes. What makes me chuckle is when I see people bragging or being arrogant about their benches and completely ignoring the existence of classes. (This is one thing that I really respect about you @Mr. Fox in that you are humble. Cheers to that.)

Ex. Most people just look at the total score and completely ignore the form factor of the system that produced the results. Take for example my desktop benches that I've been working on for the past few weeks. If the submitted benches were categorized correctly in a desktop class (on regular water) and not coupled with test bench results and XOC's results, a lot of my scores would be top in its class in respect to its set up and so would other bench(ers) submissions.

At least with hwbot you can do an advanced search, but most people don't take the time to do that. :) Even then a lot of those who claim to be on just regular H20 is questionable when you look at their graphics or cpu scores. There's no way someone on regular H20 is hitting DICE numbers, yet they submit it falsely in being in the H20 class...SMH...

Nice and congrats mate. I like the transparent intake and outtake section...neat.

Johnksss, Arrrrbol, JoeT44 and 4 others like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Nice. That has some aesthetic similarities to my 2080 Ti Hydrocopper block.

Johnksss, Arrrrbol, JoeT44 and 2 others like this.
  5. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Right before I had installed it into the desktop... :)

[​IMG]

During gaming the GPU Maxes at 30C and when OC'ed 32C. It's an amazing block for sure...Heavy too eh? It's the big block of gpu blocks for sure...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    jaybee83, Mr. Fox, Johnksss and 5 others like this.
  6. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    New PR...

Knocking on 32K's door and that's my personal goal with this desktop.

Also, shot past my 40(500) graphics score goal. :)

9900K @ 5.4GHz (Physics PR: 28580) / 2080Ti
    Fire Strike: 31806

[​IMG]

jaybee83, Mr. Fox, Raiderman and 4 others like this.
  7. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Papusan, Raiderman and iunlock like this.
  8. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Nice!

Once I hit 32K I'm pulling this card out and putting it on the test bench lol. It's a personal mile mark I so badly want to reach in this current form.

As for the 9900K this one is still non delidded...

What's driving me crazy right now is that I'm pulling pretty solid runs that should easily be outputting 32K, but it's being really wonky. I have a feeling it's an ecc issue as I was RAM tuning the last couple of days and perhaps something is off that I'm over looking...

Here's a run with a Graphics Score of 40795
    https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18853194

Here's a run with a solid graphics and good enough physics that should be able to take it over the top (32K), but check out the combined...it's suffering I think due to an ecc issue... https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18853205

I'm just surprised that this non delidded 9900K is pulling 54x, but in these benches an error is negating its glory...

Hmmm.... I'll keep at it. :)

Update:
    @Johnksss Just dialed in 31918 :) ... Almost ... Inches away...

9. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Same with this chip. Non Delidded and sitting under ICDiamond.

The combined test is is weird one and you will need it in the 13K range to push past 32K I suspect.

You can basically tell if the combined test is going to be garbage right when it starts. The FPS needs to be a certain speed when it first starts to run. And generally ends in the 85+fps range on a good run, but that is 5.3 ghz. I'm pretty sure this chip will pull 54+ on desktop board, just not in a laptop. They seem to be locked around 5.2 ghz in here and 5.3 is pushing it.

10. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Nice! Yea I've been binning my chips to get an idea to see where they stand before delidding... The combined and overall score with Fire Strike has been driving me up the walls lol. It's so random with a mind its own and just completely wonky. I don't get it... I think it's my RAM... so I'll be focusing that area now...

It's funny how when you do this long enough you start to notice things eh? I'm usually rooting when the benches start haha..

Now get this... I randomly run Time Spy before I was going to restart the computer to mess with the RAM and what ya know...

New PR lol..
    [​IMG]

Update:
    Getting closer...
    [​IMG]

Vasudev, Johnksss and sa7ina like this.