*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I would love to get my hands on that one. I wonder if it is a stock variant or a mod that NVIDIA signed? The Galax HOF vBIOS is 450W but I have not found it to produce better results. I suspect the Galax HOF has some hardware mods (variance from reference design) from the factory that allows the vBIOS to do its best.
    Yes, this is a good source. In fact, it is where I got the Gigabyte vBIOS that, so far, is producing the best results for me overall. I started downloading and testing all 2080 Ti vBIOS that were equal or greater power limits than my stock vBIOS and, so far, the Gigabyte Aorus Extreme firmware is doing the best for me, even though its power limit is barely higher than my stock vBIOS and lower than the FTW3 vBIOS. The second best is my stock EVGA vBIOS and the FTW3 vBIOS. All three do a better job for me than the Galax HOF vBIOS with a 450W power limit.

I still think doing the shunt mod is the best solution overall. Then it really doesn't matter what the firmware power limit is because the GPU starts lying to the firmware and GeFarts drivers about how much power it is using and the fact that the GPU is exceeding the firmware-induced power limit is never recognized.

But, now I am going to have to re-test all of them after discovering some things using Precision X1 that I posted about. And, I will have to retest all of them after doing the shunt mod. I suspect after doing the shunt mod it won't matter what vBIOS I use and I suspect all of them will behave about the same with power limits removed by the hardware mod. Then the only real limiting factors will likely be voltage and temperatures.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Convel, Vasudev, jaybee83 and 2 others like this.
  2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think one thing to be wary of when trying different vBIOS, it might mean your fans no longer work or at least regulated at a different speed, so use caution when trying different vBIOS to ensure fans are working and at the right RPM's. I don't think Mr Fox has to worry about that because he's using water on them, so fan speeds aren't a thing because - no fans!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    The vBIOS that Jay has won't be uploaded there or anywhere else. More likely than not, these came from Vince or from Vince's camp (aka someone from the EVGA's K|NGP|N engineering team). I was on a livestream with two MSI employees testing the new 2080 TI Lightning and they too had custom vBIOS. They won't share it either.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Maybe someone that ends up with an MSI Lightning will dump the vBIOS and share it. I would if it were my GPU.

The Galax HOF vBIOS with a 450W power limit is totally worthless to me. I get lower benchmark scores on everything and in spite of the 450W power limit, the actual power draw when using that vBIOS is less than with my stock vBIOS.

Vasudev and Rage Set like this.
  5. Rage Set

Reputations:
    So, I have a feeling that some of the people that do an "Inspection" at Amazon have no idea of computer tech. One of the Asus Strix 2080 TI's came in (pre-owned in Like New condition) and upon opening it, I discover a 1080 TI in the box. Now I'm not going to totally blame Amazon, as the scammer was very smart. If you don't know tech very well, you will be hard pressed to notice the visual difference between Asus Strix 1080 TI's and 2080 TI. My main issue is the serial number label does state 1080TI, so those Amazon Inspectors need to increase their reading comprehension. I will no longer buy used GPU's from Amazon after this.

DreDre, Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I did not even know they sold used GPUs. I've never seen them for sale on Amazon.

Edit: OK, I am looking and see them now. I guess I never paid attention.

I'd be somewhat apprehensive of buying a used 2080 Ti GPU given they had some issues with product failures in the beginning. I could see some folks returning them to Amazon rather than dealing with an RMA hassle. It seems the issue of failures has been rectified, as I haven't seen a lot of blabber about that lately.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    DreDre, Vasudev and Rage Set like this.
  7. Rage Set

Reputations:
    Normally the GPU's are sold a few hundred below their MSRP in regards to the 2080 TI's. It's a good place to keep an eye on but you have to be very quick once a deal comes along.

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, these monkeys are clueless, LOL. Look at this.

upload_2019-1-23_13-24-54.png

9. Rage Set

Reputations:
    Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Awesome score. :vbthumbsup:

Which of the two GPUs seems to overclock best?

What is the vBIOS power limit on the Strix OC?

Vasudev and Rage Set like this.