*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Anyone else have their EK Vardar fans die on them? I've gone through five so far in about 8 months and I had one of their DDC pumps crap out on me. EK will/has replaced the bad ones but I wondering if the quality of their products are going downhill. On the other hand, none of my Noctua fans have died and I have some that are three years old.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Knock on wood, I haven't had any fan failures (EK or otherwise) so far. Hopefully, EK quality is not in decline, but I think they are overrated/overpriced in general.

Papusan and Rage Set like this.
  3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is vaguely related to this thread, in as much it's laptop performance related & some laptop owners post performance numbers in this thread (which is fine too). Looks like Alienware have got rid of the infamous tripod CPU cooling, at least on this model, and CPU performance is not too bad (@Papusan they've been listening to you!): https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-m15-i7-8750H-GTX-1070-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.374921.0.html

CPU performance pretty good with 65W of CPU load translating to mid 80's in temperature when tested with CPU only load, and Witcher 3 stress test is very reliable which is good; however, CPU temps still increase when GPU being used as seen in that Witcher 3 test, and CPU was in 90's with only a 39W load on the CPU - this is because of the cooling pipe bridge between GPU & CPU which enables better CPU temperatures when GPU is not being used, but gains start to evaporate when GPU is in use as CPU receives less cooling from GPU side cooling system with GPU in use. It's one loud notebook too, but at least they got rid of the CPU tripod design, which seems to have helped CPU temperatures & performance, but still compromised.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Nope. They just swapped the TRIPOD legs over on the GPU side this time:D And there is something called cherry picked units. The customers get this:vbthumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Well, I was talking about the CPU and the fact it has 4 screws now, but I did notice that the GPU looks like it has 3 screws only, which I can also see in one your links there too.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Smoke and mirrors. Move the tripod to the GPU and hope nobody notices that the problem has migrated to the part that is most likely to fail and necessitate a motherboard replacement.

The winner here is the company. They get to sell more out-of-warranty $1500 motherboards or replacement systems (to those stupid enough to make the same mistake twice) due to the BGA GPU going tits up from being cooked to death.

Dennismungai, Papusan and Robbo99999 like this.
  7. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Well nobody likes a tripod on their heatsink!

Johnksss, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    My setup is obnoxiously loud, seemingly impractical and far from budget friendly, but I love it. The MO-RA3 is a great piece of kit and at stock settings, I can comfortably use my rig without any fans. While it isn't for the average (or most high end) PC user, I can recommend it for the XOC'er to add into their cooling arsenal.
    [​IMG]

Johnksss, Convel, jaybee83 and 7 others like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I use 15v Power adapter (full speed) for my 3 EK-Vardar fans in my U3 mod and none have failed. Soon 3 years since I got them.
    Awesome:)

Ashtrix, Johnksss, Vasudev and 3 others like this.
  10. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Well, that's some serious radiator cooling! You got the fans in a pull config rather than push though, is that better? I would have thought push would be more efficient (but maybe louder, don't know)?

jclausius and Mr. Fox like this.