*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Hey bro Tbone. Nice see you back. Only for a short visit? Regarding Laptop land... Not much have changed. Only the Clevo LGA laptops with Prema bios worth to buy. The rest is Tragic. When and if you have the time... Read some of the posts in the link.

Johnksss, Ashtrix, jclausius and 3 others like this.
  2. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Thanks bro. Good to be back (yes even if for a short while) - just going to have to lurk like around here like a creep for a little longer :p Always love some good reading, cheers bro. I might need get back on the laptop scene again to be able to get some proper use, from what I gather MXM is still in shambles too right? Nice 8700k I notice you've got in your trusty P870 - I'm sure that upgrade forced some people eat a little humble pie :D

Johnksss, Ashtrix, Vasudev and 3 others like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's pretty stinking sad. I mean, 30% is not a terrible bump, but for the absolutely asinine beyond decency price it is truly poor value. I'll probably end up getting one eventually, but there is not the normal sense of urgency or itch to upgrade like there has been in the past. If the prices were normal, I'd probably even buy two. I really miss SLI, but at the current prices the thought of blowing close to $3000 on a pair of GPUs rises to the same level of stupidity as laptop 1080 prices. Just really idiotic, especially if the primary intent is to play games. And, I think the stupid prices and lousy availability might end up backfiring on the NVIDIOTS. As much as I despise AMD GPUs, part of me wants to just buy two Vega 64 to run in CrossFried and rack up HWBOT points based on hardware rather than nice benchmark scores and save the $1,000 per GPU for another day. It would absolutely suck in comparison, but so does paying $1,000 more per GPU. Probably won't happen because I hate AMD's pathetic GPUs so much, but the temptation to rebel against the nonsense still exists.

And, I am still not drinking the ray tracing Kool-Aid. I might be wrong, but I am calling BS on that and expect it to be just another stupid sales gimmick like DX12 and GameWorks. What's the point in jumping on features that are not currently relevant and only exist to be used as an excuse to financially rape people that can afford the hardware and exclude those that cannot or will not lube up for getting screwed so hard? There is no way in hell that the investment on the Green Goblin's manufacturing side warrants close to a 100% price increase.

Hey stranger! Welcome back. We've missed you, bro. Sadly, there is nothing worthy of interest or money in laptop land. As Brother @Papusan said, only the P870 merits consideration. And, it's overrated in spite of its vast superiority to all the jokebook alternatives. Just get something extra cheap that you can toss into a dumpster when it dies. My only laptop now is an old refurbished HP ZBook 15 that I bought online from Office Depot for $379. Unless or until things change, I've set my cap on laptop prices at $600. Not going to pay more than that for a BGA turdbook or an antique laptop with sockets and slots, and a new maxed out P870TM1 eats way too deep into my desktop hardware budget to even begin to take it seriously. I have no hope or expectation that this situation will improve... ever. The entire concept of high performance laptops is dead to me now. Might as well believe in leprechauns and unicorns. And, BGA gaming notebooks are all emasculated garbage in every price range.

If you feel compelled to waste money on a notebook for gaming, lower the bar, cut your losses and get this piece of crap for $599. At this price, accept it for the lame piece of trash it is rather than spend any more money. Brother @B0B always does an excellent job on his videos.

Personally, I wouldn't consider the $999 version because it's $500 too much for a BGA turdbook. Even the $599 version is too much, but it seems like the absolute best value for anyone willing to stoop low enough to buy a turdbook. Either the $599 or $999 beats the stuffing out of anything the retards at Dell/Alienware, MSI, ASUS, Lenovo, Gigabyte or Acer have to offer in a gaming turdbook. Tongfang is the only vendor offering appropriate low prices for BGA filth and decent build quality. This is what a Razer or Alienware turdbook should be selling for. Maybe Tongfang will put the rest of them out of business.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Want pay for dummy modules? What's your pay limits for this? Or just buy One real stick and one dummy?:D Maybe next will be a dummy GPU so you can show SLI:oops:
    [​IMG]
    Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Light Enhancement Kit are Dummy DDR4 Modules Techpowerup.com
    Most gamers probably have only 2 out of 4 DDR4 DIMM slots populated in their rigs, with the vacant memory slots presenting an eyesore for some. Just so you don't have to spend an additional $170+ on a second Vengeance RGB Pro 2-module dual-channel kit to make your memory area look "complete," Corsair has come up with a $40 quick-fix, the Vengeance RGB Pro Light Enhancement Kit. These are dummy modules that look exactly like real Vengeance RGB Pro, and fill up the vacant memory slots on your motherboard.

These "modules" add a grand total of 0 bits to your system memory and are clocked lower than a tuning fork, but draw power from the DIMM slots to drive the RGB LED lighting that can run in sync with your real Vengeance RGB Pro modules. Corsair is using an addressable RGB setup, so motherboard-based software can control or synchronize them with the rest of your lighting. Corsair is offering these 2-pack Light Enhancement Kits in two flavors - black and white. Both variants are priced at $39.99. If you're buying pre-built desktops with Vengeance RGB Pro, insist on finding out if they've used one of these to make a single-channel setup look like dual-channel.

5. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ha, ridiculous!

Johnksss, jaybee83, jclausius and 2 others like this.
  6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    what have we come to people?!?!? @Mr. Fox "recommending" BGA turdbooks and Corsair selling dummy DDR4 modules....wtf o_O

7. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And nobly the world goes down the toilet....

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A5010 mit Tapatalk

8. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Exciting times ahead! I'm curious where this will lead us....

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A5010 mit Tapatalk

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    No, @Mr. Fox is not recommending a BGA turdbook. He is recommending spending as little as possible for laptops. I still despise BGA. Expensive BGA filth is worthy of rejection, and forever will be. If people are going to buy BGA garbage anyway, might as well suggest going with the least expensive options and do what we can to cause financial harm to the vendors of the expensive and equally pathetic garbage.

Think of it as covert operations or sending in the Trojan horse... AKA, taking the fight to the enemy, or fighting the war behind enemy lines. Destroying your adversary from the inside out. The end game is extermination, not peaceful cohabitation.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Johnksss, ahmadmud and jclausius like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I agree with you no need to waste more than 1000$ for a BGA. OEMs will throttle the PC anyhow so that much power is simply wasted. Its time to get older Thinkpad or ProBook or Precision for mobility because I'm going for desktop to get full power.

Mr. Fox and jclausius like this.