*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That is an excellent example. Thanks for sharing it. CPU performance has very little influence on the overall score in those benchmarks.

Even so... dang, that 2080 Ti is a wicked GPU. Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin, LOL.

Talon, Convel and Johnksss like this.
  2. Johnksss

Johnksss Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just depends on the angle the user is coming from, but that 9900K setup still beat a 7980XE-1080TI and a 7960X-1080TI, while Talons 9900K-2080TI did not. Had he been up a few mhz in clock speed.....maybe the outcome becomes the same..... Maybe.

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, it does depend on the angle of the user. It only beat it in the graphics tests though. And, the graphics tests are what influence the overall score more than anything else in Fire Strike. That's fine for those of us that understand that, but it is misleading to those that do not know to break it down and look at graphics, physics and combined results. In the context of the overall score, Fire Strike is not a useful tool in measuring overall system performance. It is only useful for measuring graphics performance. Those of us that understand that are in the minority. If the metrics were equally weighted, the overall score would not be less on the more powerful systems.

There are a number of benchmarks that I had an overall score higher with my 8700K even though the CPU performance of the 8700K is obliterated by the 4960X. Sometimes the GPU functions more efficiently with fewer CPU cores and threads involved in the operation of the benchmark.

Papusan and Johnksss like this.
  4. Johnksss

Johnksss Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hummm, hard to say. This argument as been around a very long time. That's why firestrike is known as a gpu benchmark and not a cpu one or and overall one.

Just the basics...
    Firestrike is a gpu benchmark influenced by cpu speed
    01/03/05/06 & Vantage are all cpu benchmarks.
    3dmark11 can be ran with 1 core and basically get the same gpu score.
    Skydiver is a cpu benchmark.
    Cloudgate is cpu benchmark.
    Time spy is a gpu benchmark.
    Aquamark is a cpu benchmark.

No one test to just some it all up. To many ways to argue.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Convel, Vasudev, jaybee83 and 2 others like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Thanks, that's cool. Did you see the 3DMark calculator tool the same guy made in this thread?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...-for-3D-Benchmark-Tests-Calculate-your-Scores

Could be helpful in figuring out where to burn the most calories for a higher overall score.

Papusan, Johnksss and Vasudev like this.
  7. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That makes total sense, where they say in that guide the following with regard to how the overall score is calculated from the Graphics & Physics scores:

"For a system where either the Graphics or Physics score is substantially higher than the other, the harmonic mean rewards boosting the lower score. This reflects the reality of the user experience. For example, doubling the CPU speed in a system with an entry-level graphics card doesn't help much in games since the system is already limited by the GPU. Likewise for a system with a high-end graphics card paired with an underpowered CPU."

I agree with that philosophy, plus you have the individual scores for the Graphics & CPU subsystems anyway, so still a meaningful way to compare CPU & GPU specifics.

EDIT: and here's my Timespy Score I did this morning (http://www.3dmark.com/spy/4964778) (Spectre fixes not disabled). It's pretty well balanced between GPU & CPU, but could do with a bit more CPU, which rings true when I think of the Amiens map in BF1 where I'm CPU limited (albeit at 125-144fps). But also, a bit GPU limited on BF1 as not running maxed out on I think two of the graphics settings.

EDIT #2: You might notice in my Timespy link that I've got my CPU at 4.65Ghz now - that's a result of some successful BLCK fine tuning I did yesterday, up from 4.6Ghz to 4.65Ghz. As an added bonus it speeds up the RAM by about 1% in speed, giving about 250MB/s increase in Read speed in Aida64, as well as a drop in RAM latency by about 1 ns, I'm at 41ns latency in Aida64 now. Ha, this sure trumps the ridiculously ineffective tREFI experiements I was trying a few days ago! (New CPU & RAM overclock tested in Prime95 v26.6, x264 custom loop overnight, and HCI Memtest 600% pass.)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  8. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Posted about this late Mars this year. Now we are soon middle of Nov. The days have passed but it is not far away that the internet fiber cable rolls past my house now:) Seems I can get it within 1 month. Yeah, it will be a lot easier with a working internet.
    upload_2018-11-10_6-15-14.png
    upload_2018-11-10_6-15-48.png

Arrrrbol, Georgel, Mr. Fox and 7 others like this.
  10. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    were actually super happy with our 200 Mbit cable connection here, but our ISP decided to switch to fibre exclusively, so now were gonna be "forced" to upgrade to a 500 MBit fibre connection soon :p i figured going straight to 1 GBit or even 2/5/10 GBit would just be silly :p :D

jclausius, hmscott and Vasudev like this.