*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes and I finally decided to send it back lol. I ultimately decided I hated the cooler, and the cheaper appearance of the card for the $$$. The silicon was a great chip actually, but the cooler shouldn't need me to fix it's issues and then have to worry about warranty support down the road for making their ****ty cooler run better.

I ordered a Gigabyte Gaming OC last week when one came in stock on Amazon and got it yesterday afternoon. I was amazed it came so quickly shipped direct from Amazon. The card is great. Runs cool, looks great, no coil whine, etc. VRAM clocked up to +1000Mhz and with the newer OC vBIOS and +100Mhz it ran around 2085-2070Mhz under load. I had very limited time to test the card but it seemed a decent sample. I can probably get sustained loads in 2100Mhz range with water but meh I'm happy. I just want something I don't have to fix and can keep my warranty should I need it on this expensive card.

Same vbios and stock settings on card vs card I gained around 300pts in super position as well so this card is doing better somehow.

2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's good! I'm already looking forward to the next generation of cards, but in the interim I'll settle for learning about the ray tracing capabilities of these cards as ray tracing games start trickling in with BF5, Metro...this is a thing, ray tracing won't disappear I'm quite sure.

3. Johnksss

Johnksss Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    A few runs with the Asus RTX 2080 TI Dual
    Timespy-X-8145-7980XE_2080TI.PNG Timespy_16363_7980XE_2080TI.PNG VRMark-Orange-15302-7980XE-2080TI.PNG Firestrike_X_18515_7980XE_2080TI.PNG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Papusan, custom90gt, Convel and 2 others like this.
  4. spektykles

spektykles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, just share a successful story here: Managed to get my Dell 7577 laptop working with 3100MHz CL17 1T @1.2V RAM OC. I tried one HyperX Impact 2933 16GB stick and tuned it from there. Briefly tested during my lunch break so no real stress test yet, but i will soon update this post.
    Update pic:
    Untitled.png

Papusan, Johnksss and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Here are some nice memory timings and 3DMark 11 Physics results.

I think I am going to have to upgrade my PSU for any benching with the GPU overclocked. I cannot complete any benchmarks with the GPU without a hard lockup and I think the CPU is using up all of the 1000W and starving the GPU. If I do not overclock the CPU beyond about 4.8GHz with stock voltage and power limits the GPU benchmarks are not locking up. Does that sound like it might be the issue to you Brother @Johnksss? If I have the UPS connected and run CPU only benchmarks, that is pushing around 1100W now and tripping the UPS and making it beep. So, time to suck it up and rape my wallet again. Looking at a EVGA Supernova P2 1600 PSU as a possibility. Might try using one PSU for the CPU and the other for the GPU as well. Maybe use my current 1000W PSU for the GPU only and the 1600W PSU to feed the CPU.

28685 Physics score - cache/mesh @ 34
    28685.JPG
    4000 CL14 AIDA64-116.89GBs.JPG
    @Papusan @D2 Ultima @jaybee83 @Robbo99999 @Ultra Male

Convel, Robbo99999, jaybee83 and 2 others like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That's quite an accomplishment on that laptop. It might even be a world record for your chipset and CPU. Congrats.

7. Johnksss

Reputations:
    Nice latency and Physics score

I would drop the UPS first, before going to buy a new Power supply.

Also, is 1503 stable for you? When I used it it was cool and all till you hard crash, then it sucked because you start wasting hours to get your system back to normal.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Thanks.

I haven't been using the UPS. I stopped doing so thinking that was the problem a few weeks ago, but it's the same with or without it. In fact, I think it might actually be a little worse without it. Not sure if the battery was somehow contributing a little more power or what. If it is not the PSU being exhausted, then maybe my GPU is crapping out. But, I don't think so because there are no artifacts or black screen issues, and it doesn't happen unless I push the CPU overclock really hard. This is why nobody is seeing me posting any GPU benching.

I have not tried adding power to the PCIe slot using the molex port, but with one GPU I doubt I should need to do that.

Side note: Before I had the water chiller I could not overclock the CPU this far due to high temps causing thermal throttling and lowering scores, but once I took care of that issue and I am able to push the CPU so much harder is when this situation began. Even running the GPU with no core or memory offsets and default voltage it locks up with the CPU at 5.0GHz or higher, but runs like a top and perfectly stable with CPU-only benching.

Johnksss likes this.
  9. Johnksss

Reputations:
    I was going by what you said about using the UPS and 1100W.

If not, then you will need a bigger psu or a second psu. The UPS was more than likely throttling your power along with temps. The closer you stay to 50C and lower, the more power the cpu will start to pull.

Now you have unconstrained power from the wall, but if you run to many things off same line your benching on...That will start to cause problems as well.

And pretty much you wont be using 1100W using both cpu and gpu unless your doing something like furmark and prime at the same time. CPU test 1 3dmark11 may get you close to that.

I would start there and monitor your power draw.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tips.

Yes, the CPU does draw more power now that it is colder, and the GPU is usually around 35-38°C under load. It very seldom reaches 40-45°C. But, the GPU also pulls an abnormally high amount of power due to the mod I did to it. I was coming close to 900W (sometimes as much as 700W from the GPU alone) while benching when I still had the 8700K and Maximus mobo.

When I rearranged the office, I made sure the only thing on that power circuit is my desktop. Not even the monitor is on that circuit, so I think we should be OK on that part.

Convel likes this.