*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Common issue for lockups and crashes with EVGA precision X1. Grab MSI Afterburner. One of the guys (Tim) from hardware unboxed/tech spot said it was more stable and the auto overclock on it does work with Nvidia tuner API, or you can do it manually. I think I got the beta directly from MSI's webpage.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash/
    http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/vga/MSIAfterburnerSetup_4.6.0.zip

I think that is the most recent beta version. Can't remember if Nvidia profile inspector was updated or not yet.

Hope that helps.

Edit 2: also, good results have been seen with a power shunt mod, either using liquid metal to short the shunts or soldering on a new shunt on top of the old ones. Gamers nexus showed how to check for which power shunt controls which connector, buildzoid, whether with GN or on his page, did a video talking about the effects of a shunt mod, Roman (der8auer) also talked about a shunt mod on one of his videos.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I actually borrowed a desktop for the time being, I decided to wait for the Core i7-9700K to come out and will see what that's like. The desktop is an MSI Z270 Gaming M5 motherboard, Core i7-7700K on a Thermaltake liquid cooler, 16GB of Corsair RAM. Works for now.
    Yes - I maxed out the slider, it goes to 111 on the power and to 88 deg C on the temp.
    The performance you're getting is quite impressive indeed. I was surprised to read you were keeping that Asus card, but if it's good silicon and you can replace the crappy cooler it came with, why not.
    I got the MSI Afterburner 4.6 Beta 9, which supposedly adds Nvidia Scanner support. However I haven't found a way to engage the scanner in the software ...do you know if I need to do a command line to get that to work? Attached is what the software looks like on my machine.

BasicSpecs.jpg

Charles

3. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Here you go bud.
    Although, when using the curve you need to have the gpus set to independent or NVLink disabled.
    Not sure about the scanner, since that was the first time i clicked it.
    You hit CTRL+F on the graph to get to the VF Curve editor screen
    msi_scanner.PNG

Papusan, ajc9988 and KY_BULLET like this.
  4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    You see the little button beside the core clock that looks like wifi? Click on that. That opens up what Johnkss has there. Then click on OC scanner.

Edit: Sorry it took so long to reply, was at the doctor's office getting shots and it would not post my messages.

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Perfect, that's what I needed. I did not see that little icon.

I ran the scanner and did better, now I got a 1,937MHz boost clock after setting the power, voltage, and temp sliders up to maximum. That's over 100MHz on an already-overclocked card, so not too bad for pressing a button. I did some GPU-Z logging while playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the boost clock consistently maintained 2,040-2,050MHz.

My 3DM FireStrike Ultra graphics score went from 6,482 to 6,784, or +4.65 percent.

Charles

Robbo99999, Papusan and ajc9988 like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I do not see that scanner tool in the same version of MSI Afterburner. Is that something that is only for the new RTX GPUs? If not, how do you enable that feature?

7. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    It's only with the RTX cards I gather.

Convel and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, I found something on Guru3D after asking.

Johnksss likes this.
  9. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    H55 that was sitting around for over 2 years has either failed or is having some sort of issue. Was making a grinding noise and temps were skyrocketing. I suspected it wasn't working as well as it should have seeing as it had a previous 3 years of use before replacement with my H100i V2. I am back on the stock Asus Dual OC cooler, and with some 0.5mm 14wK thermal pads on parts of the VRM which previously had nothing! Literally this part of the GPU is blocked off meaning it was getting zero airflow at all as well. I am seeing more stable and higher clocks. 2055-2070Mhz on this air cooler under load isn't too shabby. I will most likely replace the cooler though and go back to the hybrid setup.

https://imgur.com/a/PgxfhO4

Convel and Robbo99999 like this.
  10. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    RTX 2080 TI really isnt that limited by power limit. I am using the gigabyte card with OC bios.

Fairly impressive actually....

Software support on OC isnt the greatest right now................

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018