*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I still need to sell the 1080 TI a few months down to switch to 2080 TI.

1080 TI or TITAN V's is simply not able to achieve my visual fidelity target at above 45fps. As much as I am willing to put up with 30fps, I still really really prefer 45fps or higher. I basically need something thats 10% faster than a TITAN V OCed. I was getting around 39FPS on a TITAN V OCed so roughly 10-15 percent improvement will do.

Its hardly the price vs performance option but I mean, when you are buying higher end GPUs, thats assumed. Its not something I particularly absolutely need to have but its nice to have.

Johnksss likes this.
  2. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I'm speaking majority, not the handful of folks like us who are on a different path. Not everyone in the world agrees with our logic or reasoning behind spending loads of cash on parts that will be out dated in a few months.

But I do get what your talking about.

Or just buy one for 789.99+ tax and skip the hassle of trying to sell more stuff.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    tgipier likes this.
  3. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    LOL done. I pre ordered the $749.99 version with no tax and overnight shipping. No tax no selling no fuss. So now I have a 2080 Ti preorder through Nvidia, 2080 Ti preorder through Microcenter and now a regular 2080. I can cancel them anytime prior to launch. Something about this $750 price tag is tempting me. I will wait for leaks and benchmarks closer to launch and decide. I may not NEED the Ti. I've been using my laptop 1070 power modded hooked up to my external 1440p screen and honestly it hasn't been terrible. Maybe I don't need to have the top end. The 2080 will surely give me back my 1080 Ti experience + margin and offer me ray tracing for visual fidelity when FPS don't matter as much. Hmm decisions decisions. Also hearing rumors of a Titan coming later with full chip around $1500. I would be pissed off to pay $1300 only to have the Titan release at a later date.

Johnksss likes this.
  4. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What rumors? I dont really care much for the full chip performance but might as well as see it.

Johnksss likes this.
  5. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Love it! LOL

Man, there is nothing wrong with a 1070. I gamed on one for quite some time. Did not have any real issues with it all. And besides....How many people really care about you bragging about how many frames you are getting in game, when your KD is .23 and you're getting killed by kids on netbooks? LOL

@tgipier @Talon

Humm, a Titan sounds more interesting than a TI

Mr. Fox and Talon like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I never think in terms of playing games though. I play probably 1 hour of games for every 50 hours of benching, maybe less.

I have a lot to figure out yet. I am surprised the Rampage BIOS is not as robust as the Maximus X in some ways. I cannot find anything to enable SPD write access (needed for Thaiphoon Burner and XTU memory timings to work) and a couple of other things.

I finally figured out the DIMM.2 thing. The documentation is lousy, but it seems there is a CPU side and a PCH side and I was using one 960 Pro on each side. As soon as I put both on one card and moved it to the PCH side the issues I was having went away, along with the RAID device in Device Manager with no drivers (code 10).

Brother @Johnksss are you able to use Thaiphoon Burner on X299? Is the Molex connector near the front panel audio header for extra power to the PCIe slots? There are some undocumented accessories in the box that I may send you pictures of to see if you know what they are for, as they are not mentioned anywhere in the manual and it is not obvious to me from looking at them.

Definitely going to need chilled water or cold air ducted to the radiator for 5GHz in Cinebench or wPrime 1024m benching. Ambient temperature water cooling ain't going to fly at 5GHz and up on 7960X, LOL. It's fine for stuff like 3DMark benches though.

The 7960X and 1080 Ti are also approach 1000W in 3DMark 11. It's enough for now, but that 1kW PSU definitely won't even come close to being enough for a second modded 1080 Ti.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    KY_BULLET and Robbo99999 like this.
  7. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ha, right, that's why I was balking at 5Ghz on 16 cores, I couldn't quite imagine the insane power draw in something like wprime or CB15 - yes, so to hear you say you need chilled water for those tests, I can believe that!

8. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Why would I need Thiaphoon burner on an Apex? This is a memory enhanced motherboard.

Yes, extra voltage to the pcie when running more than 1 video card.

If you post them I can probably tell you what they are.

Papusan likes this.
  9. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah we will see. Would be nice. To be honest, the extra cores and memory bus arent going to make a difference.

I want a titan turing with 24gb of vram though because that would be the first affordable, consumer solution to 8k gaming.

Johnksss likes this.
  10. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Again. That depends on your point of view interms of affordable. And if that card cost more than 400 or so dollars.... Most are going to say it's not affordable.

tgipier likes this.