*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Are you using 4x4GB or 2x8GB?

I also have no issues with it as long as I only use two of my four sticks of RAM. Works flawlessly with two, and it's a mess with four. It was fine before the new BIOS/ME/CPU microcode update. Downgrading the BIOS does not fix it because it keeps the goofed up ME version. Even BIOS Flashback from USB retains the new ME version. It seems like the ME is the problem to me. If I had 2x16GB I wouldn't care. I bought 4x8GB because I want/need/prefer 32GB for higher benchmark scores and then I am ready for quad channel HEDT down the road without having to buy more RAM. (Yes, some benchmark scores are higher with 32GB of RAM for some weird reason. 3DMark 11 is one of them.)

KY_BULLET and Talon like this.
  2. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    2x8gb. That must be the issue then. Hopefully Asus can find the issue and fix it or issue a new bios.

KY_BULLET and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Well, now they're giving me the run-around. Yesterday the manager I spoke to said he and several others agree the mobo needs to be replaced. Now he is saying I need to test a different memory kit in another speed or brand to see if it still has the problem. No way in hell I am spending $500 of my own money on a RAM experiment to satisfy their curiosity, especially when I bought this specifically because it was on their QVL as being tested and compatible with 4 modules. And, it was trouble-free until BIOS 1602 was flash. Then it suddenly doesn't like having all 4 memory slots filled with the same RAM that worked fine before. Bottom line is they didn't do enough testing. So, looks like I might end up being left holding the bag and having to live with only 16GB if they have their own way. But, I will continue to be a pest and escalate it if they are trying to brush me off.

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I guess this is no longer a supported benchmark. There is no way to submit scores to ASUS or HWBOT? I have tried both versions. ASUS site seems closed and the HWBOT version closes as soon as I enter my user name and password. Uploading the save file doesn't work on HWBOT. Seems file cannot be parsed and their forum says this is an known issue.

RB.JPG

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    KY_BULLET likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Still only stable with two sticks. Sent a bunch more information to ASUS yesterday (per their request) including BIOS screen shots.

Here's a 4266 AIDA64 benchmark...

4266.JPG

KY_BULLET and Papusan like this.
  7. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Theres no way to revert back to the stable microcode? I seen a post by Dufus a while back showing how to do an update within windows but not sure if it would work to revert back?

Here is the POST

Hope you get it figured out. I know this is probably aggravating you to no end.

Vistar Shook, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Doesn’t help. Seems it’s the latest ME firmware who is the culprit and can’t be rolled back.

KY_BULLET and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Johnksss

Johnksss Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Papusan, KY_BULLET and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I can downgrade the BIOS by normal flash or USB Flashback and everything except the Intel ME downgrades. But, if I look at the big picture it's still performing way better than average with 2 sticks. Other than the problem with using 4 sticks, there is nothing I have any business complaining about. Yes, it is extremely aggravating because it used to work fine and I know it did. Had I purchased the RAM after the current BIOS I would not know any better. The ASROCK board helped me realize how superior this ASUS board is in every way.

I am pressing them to give me a way to flash the ME to the older version. I am about 99% sure they can provide me with a software solution unlocking the ME region for flashing the downgrade. They haven't said no yet. If downgrading the ME doesn't correct the problem, then it has to be hardware. If it does, then they have to admit the new Intel ME is garbage. They readily acknowledge there is a problem, but they're not ready to admit either of those things just yet. The manager I spoke with did and he and several of his peers agreed replacing the motherboard was appropriate, but the engineers want more information. So, I gave it to them. I will probably hear back from them on Monday, after they look over the stuff they asked me to send them.

I don't have $250 to burn right now or I would do definitely do that. Already took a $50 bath reselling the 10-day used ASROCK Chai Tea mobo that was a much worse performing piece of crap than my ASUS board in its current state that I am not too happy about, LOL. The thing is, if I have to use this BIOS and ME for a 9900K upgrade, it might not have this problem with the new CPU and that $250 experiment will probably cover half or more the cost of the new CPU. The problem I am experiencing with 4 sticks might be an unavoidable consequence of making the Z370 chipset compatible with 9900K. I have noticed several people complaining of RAM instability with 8700K following their flashing the new BIOS over in the ASUS forums as well. So, maybe kind of a catch 22.

Robbo99999, Papusan and KY_BULLET like this.