*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Oh yeah, Intel definitely chose to run with solder because they needed to - they wouldn't have been able to cool that 8 core CPU without doing so. I still think it will run cooler than the toothpaste 6 core / 12 thread versions, or at least the same temperatures, but I don't think it will run hotter - I mean delidding with liquid metal reduces temps by 15 degC (same as solder) so I think that will make up for it.

Vistar Shook and KY_BULLET like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I meant it will be more like Skylake X.

3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What do you mean, I don't follow?

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I mean you will get slightly better temp with Liquid meal and not seal the lid on the PCB vs. soldered on IHS from Intel.

Vasudev and KY_BULLET like this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    It will be hotter than CFL chips and more likely un-optimised 14nm+++ since Ryzen is giving stiff competition. Even with delid der8auer will solve problems and mods. Maybe this time Intel users might have to sand the delidded CPUs just to get perfect surface whilst impacting its lifespan in the long run.
    Papusan,Mr. Fox, Bloodhawk,Prema and others might be ready for an hefty upgrade.

6. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not quite. Intel has issues but 14nm isnt bad.

8 core mainstream thermal issues should be considerably better than SK-X.

Vistar Shook, Papusan and Talon like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    My preference would be to have the crappy thermal paste and delid it myself so I can use liquid metal. I don't really want the IHS soldered because that takes the control of things away from me. Delid with liquid metal is better than factory soldered by Intel. People seem to have forgotten that CPUs with soldered CPUs ran hot and people that owned them wanted to delid them and could not. If you ever want to go bare die, you cannot if the IHS is soldered. So, I consider it a step backwards to have it soldered from the factory. I don't want anything that limits my options, and soldering does.

Soldering the IHS to the die may also have some potential drawbacks (like liquid metal) for folks than do LN2 overclocking. (Not sure on that, maybe @Johnksss can comment about it.)

Vistar Shook, KY_BULLET and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Think of it in this way: From Broadwell to Future 9th gen are 14nm having more or less same socket size whilst forcing users to upgrade their mobo,RAM modules,PSUs etc.. to get best performance. Only few handful of users are able to extract 100% performance from their z/h 170 mobos running 7700K at very high frequencies.

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    RAM and PSU upgrades? I'm not sure what you are referring to. You cannot really look at this from the perspective of a notebook owner. Nothing can be taken seriously any more in the realm of notebooks, and everything made now is a joke in one or more ways.

The socket is irrelevant. People would complain if they changed sockets as well. If hardly any AMD CPU is good at overclocking, almost everyone can expect mostly the same experience from the same hardware, and the only real way to achieve significantly superior results is to buy a new CPU that offers more performance than the last one, how is that an improvement? That scenario is actually worse in my opinion. It's sort of like saying eating at McDonald's is good because they are consistent, the food is always the same regardless of location, and ignores the fact that they are selling garbage that will make you sick.

Vistar Shook, KY_BULLET and Vasudev like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Some info... https://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

"Thermal cycling is a significant problem for overclocking with liquid nitrogen because you go from +30 °C to -190 °C. Normal thermal compounds can’t stick properly to the DIE at e. g. -180 °C so extreme overclockers have a lot of trouble getting the TIM to work. The main reason is the different thermal expansion coefficient. Silicon, copper and compound have different coefficients and a sudden heat load can lead to separation of these components."