*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Johnksss

Johnksss Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well brother @Mr. Fox , Not really sure if you were just setting your's up differently, but the drives go on top of the middle section. That tray under neath is for 5 2.5 drives or accessories. Normally.

Just some ideas....
    [​IMG]
    And the cables can be tie up under the tray to not show. And facing the drives back to back should take care of the connectors not long enough to reach.

This one involves spending a little money.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That would hide all your drives. I actually have a one like that for 4 2.5 and 4 3.5 drives.

As to the plastic thumb screws. Metal would have been better, but the nylon ones don't bother me. I guess they used them to help keep scratching the case up. Speculation of course.

jaybee83, KY_BULLET, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I had the drives like that at first. It worked fine until I tried to add.the 5.25 inch bracket and that caused a conflict, and it also requires using two SATA power cables and extra bulk without using all of the ports because the drives on right are too far from those on the left. Maybe I am just nit-picking too much. Perhaps I should look into having a custom SATA power cable made for my PSU with more space between the ports and only the number of ports I need. A round sleeved cable would also be better than flat.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Johnksss, KY_BULLET and Papusan like this.
  3. Johnksss

Reputations:
    I'm thinking you would benefit more from sleeved cabling/combs/material cable ties and a sleeved cable extension. (if need be)

Here is mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Of course this is not the finished product. Just pulled it apart to show
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No way to get rid of bulk using the factory cables.
    But again, these are only suggestions.

jaybee83, KY_BULLET, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, you're probably right. The factory cables are also way too rigid and unwieldy. I have hated them since day one. No point in having extensions because you have those nasty harder-to-manage factory cables to deal with, LOL.

I see you have the brackets flipped the other way, with the flanges at the top and bottom facing away from each other. That could be part of my issue with the slots lining up. I have the flanges facing toward each other and it's not the correct spacing for 5.25 inch drive width. I am going to check that out later today and see if it helps.

I am going to send you a PM about something else here in a bit.

Johnksss likes this.
  5. Johnksss

Reputations:
    PM?
    Just call. LOL

jaybee83, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I ended up managing OK with the cables I had. I found some SATA 6GB/s cables with 90° ends on them that I had purchased last year in my stuff and that allowed me to place the two 1TB SSDs facing one another on the center tray. I kept the 2TB Barracuda HDD on the 5.25 inch bracket. Flipping them around with the flanges facing away from each other allowed the slots to line up, but can only attach it with two thumb screws if I want the bay near the front of the bench because the slots in the center tray do not come forward far enough to install four thumb screws. Cables are routed neatly now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Incoming...
    For the discrete GPU water loop...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anyone wants to purchase the EVGA Hybrid setup with the Thermaltake 360 RGB radiator, fans, controller, etc. let me know. I will leave it set up with the quick-disconnect fittings. (The new pump and reservoir will not be included, but they are not needed with the AIO pump. The View 71 TG RGB is also on Craigslist, but available to anyone that wants it. I will include the vertical GPU bracket and PCI-e riser cable. I can put both in the NBR Marketplace.)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 1:43 AM
    KY_BULLET, Johnksss and Vasudev like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 1:45 AM
    Convel, KY_BULLET, Johnksss and 4 others like this.
  8. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    we should rename this thread into smth like: "Johnksss & Mr. Fox Xtreme Desktop Mod & Bench Thread (Lurkers welcome!)"

:D

not complaining here! just that compared to you two any other posts seem almost dull in comparison haha :)

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

KY_BULLET, Johnksss, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ha, well if you're not buying any new hardware then you don't have anything to show when it comes to that aspect - they both upgrade often! But, from my point of view I find any posts interesting related to performance insights/news, case performance mods, etc, anything of that ilk - so it doesn't have to be just a place to show off new hardware.

Convel, KY_BULLET, Johnksss and 4 others like this.
  10. Johnksss

Reputations:
    Nice. Glad it all worked out!
    Looking good! I did a run like a day ago and got a 6505. Today after the new Bitspower water block, it went up a little.
    [​IMG]