*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That board is something very specific and tell us a lot of informations as I have learned. New gpu might be somewhat interest in that respect....

2. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Okay guys. I'm going with some of your suggestions along with some friends on EVGA. The Xmas Light Extravaganza!

6 fans plus the KP water block. It should all be here next week some time.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Man, nothing says "I love you" to your CPU like a clean install of Windows 7, LOL.
    Clean_Install 04.jpg Clean_Install 01.jpg Clean_Install 03.jpg Clean_Install 02.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Convel, jaybee83, aaronne and 6 others like this.
  4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Nope, I secure erased the 960 Pros in the BIOS and started over from scratch.

6. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Yeah, secure erasing is gonna restore the SSD performance back to it's best, which of course you can't do if your rely on a reset.

KY_BULLET and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I haven't done an OS reset for a long time. I made new Macrium Reflect images after the clean install, before a ton of software crap was installed. The Macrium images I had before ended up being corrupted due to a bug in Macrium Reflect, so I could not restore them. I also clean installed W10. I had been running only W7 for several weeks because something got buggered up with my W10 installation and I was getting 5 or 6 random BSOD ever day, all referencing ntoskernl.exe, sfc /scannow had corrupted files that could not be repaired, etc. When I wiped that 960 Pro a few weeks ago all of those problems vanished.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    OK, added the auxiliary pump and reservoir to the GPU and added QD fittings and 0.5 in ID hose to the CPU. Also installed a 5.25 inch bay dashboard with USB ports and front panel audio. The red color is the WaterWetter I added to the distilled water. Not my favorite, but it only comes in red and it is not designed to be an aesthetic additive. Would have preferred clear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jaybee83, Vasudev, Johnksss and 4 others like this.
  9. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Hey Mr Fox, you don't have to explain away your pink unicorn water, you can have whatever colour you want! ;-) But, on a serious note, does the water wetter make much difference to temps? Last time I heard of water wetter it was being used in modified turbo charged cars.

Convel, jaybee83, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    My temps do seem to be a little better, but it is not possible to say if it is the additive or the physical changes to both loops. The variance among the CPU core temps is less now, which may have something to do with how the water contacts and flows over the tiny fins in the CPU block using the WaterWetter (which is by design). I noticed that more than anything else. I will know more in a few days, after I have more time for observation. It seemed like a good alternative to the overpriced additives sold for PC cooling, and I saw where others mentioned using it at Overclock.net.

The compelling aspect of using the WaterWetter was the prospect of the additive improving temps, whereas most additives go the opposite direction compared to using distilled water with no additives.

I do find the color annoying and may end of flushing it for that reason alone. I added a drain hose and valve to the CPU loop, so that will be really simple.

I do not care for the GPU pump/reservoir, but it was relatively inexpensive and works well. The diameter is not as large as the CPU reservoir and I do not like that the reservoir and pump connect with a male-male G1/4 fitting with an air gap between them. The pump has threads to screw the reservoir into the body of the pump, but the reservoir only has threads on the inside of the tube. I would like it better if the two parts fit together by the reservoir screwing directly to the pump without the fitting and small gap between them. I am probably being way too picky about that, because it is not really all that noticeable. But, I am good at being nit-picky, LOL. If it had some kind of filler or spacer to fill the air gap that would be nicer. I also do not care for the snap-on clamp style. It does not take a lot of effort to unsnap the tube from those brackets. I like the solid mounting of the XSPC setup a lot better, so I will most likely buy a matching one later on for almost 3 times the cost.

My only real criticism of the Praxis WetBench after having more time with it is the drive bracket and center tray slots, and the thumb screws. The slots in the center tray for attaching drives and the optional 5.25 inch bay bracket are not thoughtfully spaced and the thumb screws are made of plastic. Small complaints in the grand scheme of things, but considering the cost of the bench, those parts should have been given more thought and revised at some point. I will give Praxis some feedback on that. It is not enough of a big deal that I would not buy another one, but enough to be irritating while I was figuring out how to work around the poorly arranged slots in the center tray. The plastic thumb screws are really chintzy and I don't get that at all. Forgiveable, but worthy of mention. Brother @Johnksss, what say you?

I ended up mounting the two 1TB Samsung SSDs on edge, perpendicular to the center tray. That worked well. Due to the spacing of the slots, laying them flat side by side did not fit well with the spacing of the SATA power connectors on my PSU cable. The distance between the connectors on the cable was not enough to reach the drive spacing with the drives laying flat and I would have needed to use two cables with unused connectors between each drive. To be fair, I had to do that with both previous cases as well, but the extra mess of having to use two cables with unused connectors in the middle was essentially concealed behind the mobo tray. I found that equally annoying with the previous cases as well. Ideally the PSU cable would have 6 to 8 inches of space between the SATA power connections.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018