*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, that's impressive, that's where you definitely need water cooling! Most I've had my GTX 1070 pull is 268W (measured by HWInfo) while running Furmark, at 100% fan speed I think it was about 72 degC. During gaming though it only pulls about 150W, or 198W average on a looped Firestrike Graphics Test 1.

P.S. I dare you to run Furmark on your 1080ti at 1.2V! Ha, no, don't do that, definitely not!

Vasudev, Vistar Shook and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Got some more stuff coming so I can make my setup hot-swappable with Brother @Johnksss water chiller for our next benching party. In another month or two I think I am going to buy a matching XSPC RX360 radiator and maybe one of these water blocks. Then I can sell the hybrid setup to someone still dealing with air cooling their GPU. I was waiting for their next promo code before I put this stuff into my shopping cart. In case anyone is thinking about ordering stuff...

Spend $50+ and get 12% off!: "4JULY18-12" (Coupon is good from June 27th starting at 6pm EST through July 4th 2018 at Midnight EST. One coupon per order please.)

PPCS.jpg

KY_BULLET, Convel, Papusan and 5 others like this.
  3. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Looking at the ones you chose.... You are running them in the middle correct? (Meaning block-compression fitting-hose-QD3M to QD3F-hose-compression fitting-radiator.)
    And eventually the same for the GPU side as well?

Is that 69 cents a foot?

Seems we think alike. I had been debating on pulling the trigger on this.
    [​IMG]
    An actual block made for the K|ngp|n 1080 TI. Apparently Bitspower decided to make a block for it last month.

KY_BULLET, Papusan, Vasudev and 3 others like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, I am going to run them somewhere in the middle. Yup, seems like good price on that hose compared to what I find elsewhere. So, I bought more than I need so I could redo things later on.

It kind of makes sense that we think similarly since you have been my mentor for so long. And, because we are both smarter than average. :vbwink:

5. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Sounds good. My setup has roughly 7 break points right now.
    That price is excellent for flexible tubing. I may grab some from then to play with. 10FT at MC is 31 bucks. HD is like 9 bucks, but it's no where near as flexible.

Ah, you are so kind good sir!

That and a bit more of an experimenter than most.

KY_BULLET, Papusan, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That Bitspower block looks really nice. The only one I can find that fits my SC2 is the Hydro Copper. The PCB layout is compatible with reference design, except there is an extra fan header on the PCB that has to be removed to use most full GPU blocks. The SC2 uses a separate fan control for the power delivery system that can be controlled separately from the GPU and memory fan. I don't want to desolder the header pins or cut them off with side cutters. I'm kicking myself now. I put that Hydro Cooper block in my EVGA shopping cart last week. It was on sale for $115. Now it's back to regular price of $169. I went back to get it today and saw the price jumped back to normal.

I chatted with an EVGA rep about it and they couldn't do anything for me as far as honoring the price last week and there are no coupon codes for July 4th. :vbmad: Should have struck while the iron was hot. I snoozed and losed, LOL.

KY_BULLET, Papusan, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  7. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    How come you want to get rid of the GPU cooling setup you have at the moment, is it limiting you in your benchmarks at all?

8. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I just watched a video on someone modding an SC card. they even removed the DVI plug.

I think it's the same on the K|ngp|n card as well. They made like a hand full of copper blocks for it and then that was it. Like two months after the card came out no one could find blocks for them.
    By the time you get ready to buy, it may be back on sale.

Papusan, Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Nope, not at all. It's really excellent as it already is. I'm seeing a max of around 51°C in Unigine Superposition benchmark with the current setup. The only real limits are ambient temperatures at this point. But, I want it integrated into a custom loop with the option of also being hot-swappable between dual 360mm radiators and a water chiller. I could do that with quick disconnect fittings alone, but the 6mm (0.25 in) ID tubing on the AIO parts would be a bottleneck to the rest of the system with 13mm (0.5 in) ID tubing. If I later decide to upgrade to an HEDT setup like an i9/X299 ~18 core Extreme CPU or similar, that water flow bottleneck could be a problem. Because it is already pretty great as is, I'm not in a huge hurry to change anything. And, I can buy pieces in stages. I did order another reservoir and pump for the GPU cooling system today. I figured I could boost that a little bit and doubling the water capacity should assist with cooling as well. At the least, it should take a lot longer for load temps to normalize. I will cut the stock tubing off and replace it with 6mm clear tubing to integrate the reservoir and auxiliary pump for the GPU. For now, I will keep the CPU and GPU liquid cooling systems discrete. I will merge them when I buy a matching RX360 radiator and full GPU water block. When that time comes I will also compare temps with them merged or discrete to confirm whether discrete cooling system is better than a single dual 360mm radiator loop. I have a hunch that keeping them separated will be better, but that's only a guess until the time comes for testing and comparison.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  10. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Ah right, investing in the future, that i9 you're talking about! Good good.