*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    dude, going from 2400 to 3000 without voltage change on sodimms is already huge! those are definitely not crappy sticks! u should be happy!

i find it weird that ure getting instability issues due to overheating RAM though o_O the wattage on ram is so super low that one should never have any heat issues there... are u sure those clocks and timings are stable? best way to find out is to run tm5 followed by overnight run of DOS based memtest86+ (the original, not the uefi based new crap!). only then can u rule out any memory related errors and instabilities...

if its indeed heat related, change thermal paste on cpu to something high performance (gc extreme, kryonaut, ic diamond) and check if u can maybe get sodimm sized ram heatsinks.

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Vistar Shook, Robbo99999 and Vasudev like this.
  2. spektykles

spektykles Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I can see BIOS XMP options so likely my laptop would support XMP sticks, but its very sensitive to anything equal or higher than CL19 (refused to boot when I set CL19) so I would like to pick some stick with normal 2400 profile and separate XMP 2666+, and atleast avoid the issue of my laptop refuse to work with popular 2666 CL19 stick on the market (OC them by hand but using XMP profile as base)
    Already repasted with IC Diamond 7 and thermal pad with Fujipoly XR one, its just RAM slots by design sit right below CPU (actually the gap between CPU heatsink and RAM only 2-3mm) so the RAM would absorb CPU heat very fast, and IDK how to shield them without bulking the bottom plate of the laptop and short circuts the entire mainboard.
    Will try memtest86+, already ran Memtest 400% and its fine, but ofcourse not heated by the CPU to 75 degrees celcius.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    jaybee83 and Vasudev like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That is way too cool. Did you build that from scratch?

Vasudev and KY_BULLET like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Still a work in process putting everything back and cleaning up the mess, but it is starting to look like an office again. Doesn't look like I am going to have any time to rest before going back to work on Monday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Johnksss, jaybee83, Papusan and 4 others like this.
  5. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nice, very impressive case modding skills if you made that all yourself! You will have done a good job! It's not my thing, but it's obviously very good for anyone who's a Resident Evil fan & likes that style to their cases.

hmscott, Mr. Fox, KY_BULLET and 3 others like this.
  6. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It was build from scratch but not from me (alone). A good friend made the bulk, I assisted him. It was for a German modding contest (CaseCon) back in late 2016.
    And since half a year I have the honor to call it my own. My buddy moved on to another crazy projects.

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A5010 mit Tapatalk

7. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Ok, I've been showing some people this because it's awesome and I've been asked to ask how long it took to mod that

8. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here we go buddy: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f143/r-e-vii-mowli-1135923-4.html

It took roughly 2 1/2 months from the beginning till the end before the modding contest began.

I'm considering upgrading to 8700k as it should be possible with some BIOS-mods like stated over here (MSI Z170a Gaming Pro):

https://www.win-raid.com/t3413f16-GUIDE-Coffee-Lake-CPUs-on-Skylake-and-Kaby-Lake-motherboards.html

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A5010 mit Tapatalk

Vasudev and D2 Ultima like this.
  9. spektykles

spektykles Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just an update, I ran memtest86+ overnight and luckily catched 2 errors that MemTest HCI and other tools never caught on. Reduced RAM OC to solid 2800 18-17-17-39-1T. But my thermal issue still a thing so I just used some kapton tape and wrapped around RAM stick some layers. And it works. Now only 68 degrees celcius (lmao) with full stress test.

jaybee83 and Vasudev like this.
  10. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wow, Kapton Tape, didn't know it had good heat transfer properties, isn't it just a heat resistant form of plastic tape - if that's the case then you'd expect it to be more of an insulator rather than a conductor, surprised you saw a temp decrease?

jaybee83, Mr. Fox, Convel and 2 others like this.