*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I’m quite sure there is a differences in batches or the composition. We have seen it from Coolaboratory. I think it’s the same for the commercial Galinstan.

Arrrrbol and KY_BULLET like this.
  2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They don't give a breakdown of the percentage composition of the different materials. Hopefully it provides the same realiable results from batch to batch. It's good that you included the link to the product that you say is as good as CLU - praps some folks here will take the plunge, buy this, save some money, and see results as good as CLU. It feels like more of a risk than buying something like CLU or Conduconaut though (less controlled formulation perhaps), and given that application of any paste (especially liquid metal) can be a laborious process you kinda don't want to have to redo it if the 'cheap' stuff doesn't work well. Good to have better value alternatives though!

Arrrrbol and KY_BULLET like this.
  3. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    All the tubes of Conductonaut i have bought over the last 2 years have been the same. However the beading issue that you guys have been talking about, i have had the same WITH different heatsinks. Even on different die's . All it takes to sort that is to rub it on using the cotton swab with a little bit of extra pressure.

4. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've seen this with CLU too. I just kept working on it like you said with a Q-tip until it finally laid out evenly. Thats when I delidded my CPU about 6-7 months or so ago, and still good on temps.

I've seen YouTube videos where some guys spread it out in no time and others take a little longer.

Another factor could be that the surface(s) wasn't cleaned as well as it should be. Possibly caused by oil from our fingertips? That's just a guess though, off the cuff, so to speak. No googling done here to back this up lol!:p:rolleyes:

Arrrrbol, Papusan and bloodhawk like this.
  5. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Usually , for me at least, it depended on how tough / sanded the surface of the heatsink was. As for the Die's its always been weird. Most just easily let conductonaut stick and some make it bead up.

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The silicon die have a very very thin diffusion barrier on top. If people clean it in different ways or not good enough, I think this is the main culprit for not getting the Liquid metal to stick to the die.

Vasudev, KY_BULLET and Arrrrbol like this.
  7. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Yep

Arrrrbol likes this.
  8. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    well at a tenth of the price it was a no-brainer for me to at least try it out. and i havent regretted it so far :) especially since i repaste about every 3-6 months together with cleaning out dust and checking thermal pads / repadding everything. makes this regular maintenance much cheaper :)

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Bump and good night. Tomorrow's finally Friday.
    Capture.JPG

KY_BULLET and Vasudev like this.