*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, I think they will unless there is some kind of patent they've got that would prevent it.

Arrrrbol and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Whatever it is runs in a UEFI environment, so it cannot be too complex. It is also the perfect environment for this kind of stability testing. It eliminates all of the wildcards with software gone wild. Like testing or firmware flashing in DOS is better in so many ways. If the overclock tests out flawlessly stable, anything that goes wrong in Windoze can be rightfully blamed on the dimwits at Micro$lop or half-assed, buggy Windows drivers coded by people that suck at their jobs. (Confirmation of what we already know, LOL.)

Arrrrbol and Convel like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    My central AC went out yesterday around 11AM and it was 107°F the last two days. Finally got if fixed today, but it's still around 80°F in the house. Still have about 10-12° to go before things are back to normal. My desktop was not very happy about it being 100° inside my house today. But, not nearly as unhappy as I was, LOL. Thank God I had the portable AC unit. Things would have been pretty horrible without it. I can't even imagine what it would have been like in the peak of summer with it being around ~120° outside, with overnight lows above 100°.

1751.JPG

4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    wtf, 120*.

Screw that, where are you located?

Arrrrbol and KY_BULLET like this.
  5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Well, I'm not sure about that, I'm sure I've read situations where overclocks can be Prime stable (similar to that EVGA BIOS stress testing) but then fail in other workloads or while doing normal stuff in Windows - at the end of the day your overclock wants to be stable for things you use it for, so I'd see the BIOS testing as the initial testing, and then I'd probably do some kind of testing in the Windows environment, as well as just gaming & using it normally, and if it fails then I would tweak the overclock accordingly.

Arrrrbol, KY_BULLET and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Ha, the hottest room temperature here in the UK (no AC) that I remember since I've had my desktop is only 28 degC - that's a long way from your 48 degC outside temperatures - insane! If it was 48 degC in my room then my CPU would be at 80 degC playing BF1, and my GPU fans would ramp up as well as throttle it's boost a fair bit (but how much I do not know!).

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Phoenix.

Arrrrbol and KY_BULLET like this.
  8. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    lol that's way too hot. I was stationed at Ft Huachuca and it was also way too hot. Having said that, I'm going to apply to a few residencies down there...

9. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I all of a sudden went too 85c plus with my LM installation with P95 on 16 threads. At first I was at 72c but it was cooler then. I figured it was gone so I pulled it and the LM was just beading up in small balls not the original smooth coating of the IHS. I just put on ThermalGrizzly and now under 16 thread it is at 75c. No AC on and temps here are 88f. Since my double bypass I am cold all the time, finally at 88f I am comfortable (my daughter hates it).

I had an emergency install of TX4 two days ago when I found the issue as I had it laying around. That was running P95 16 thread at 80c. So TG gave a 5c drop. No real difference in any of them idling.

Arrrrbol, Papusan, KY_BULLET and 3 others like this.
  10. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    LM is normally very stable in temps over time from what I've read, so that's a surprise to see that result there. The beading up in small balls you saw - that would be just because you removed the heatsink I would have thought, I wouldn't imagine that it could be as smooth & even as it would have been before putting the heatsink on. Thermal Grizzly is a good non conductive paste, so not surprised you saw better temps from it than your standard non-conductive paste. So far my LM is stable on my GPU for the past year (think it's over 1 yr now). LM also stable on my delidded CPU for just over a year (LM under IHS, thermal grizzly on top).

Does your heatsink sit very flat & even on your IHS?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Arrrrbol, Papusan, KY_BULLET and 2 others like this.