*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, looks pretty decent. Thanks for the link. :vbthumbsup: Too bad they do not show any information on the voltage used for 5.4GHz. Cinebench scores are where they should be compared to 8700K.
    8700K @ 5.4GHz - https://i.imgur.com/cS4HGqL.jpg
    8700K @ 5.5GHz - https://i.imgur.com/8KuxE9u.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    We would need to see voltages to see if they're really something special, but it seems these are simply highly binned 8700k pulled from the line with a new label on them. Still nice to be able to get a binned 8700K, but sucks for those that purchased in the last 5 months or so when they probably starting binning 8700ks. Which is exactly why people stopped getting good ones lately.

Arrrrbol, Convel, bennyg and 3 others like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Silicon Lottery has a thread over here, so we might see some details on the 8086K binning quality pretty soon: http://www.overclock.net/forum/18068-silicon-lottery/1638821-coffee-lake-binning.html

If it is a LOT BETTER bin quality, I might consider getting one for my desktop so I can put that awesome sample in the P870DM, since it has an average (i.e. crappy) 8700K sample. I haven't even bothered turning it on for several days because running the CPU stock bores me to death. It takes too much voltage to run cool with an overclock like @Papusan's does.

4. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Or, you could sell me the crappy one. Even the crappy one is better than mine lol!

I wonder if you could run the 8086k In your P870? If it's just a hand picked relabeled 8700k, I don't see why you couldn't, except might need a little Premamod to make it happen.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Arrrrbol and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    yeah, would be curious to see whether or not wed need a microcode update for that. or if its just pnp :)

in the meantime, heres some overclocking more to @Mr. Fox liking :p

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It's not really a crappy sample per se... basically a very average sample based on what I can see. But, having an average sample in a laptop is crappy because it is harder to keep it cool.

It would be definitely be interesting to know if it will work in the P870DM, but an expensive disappointment if it did not work out better than a nicely binned 8700K. I will need to see some convincing evidence that 8086K bin quality is consistent and have some confidence I would end up with an excellent sample before I would be willing to entertain the idea of spending the money.

Arrrrbol, Convel, Talon and 1 other person like this.
  7. KY_BULLET

Reputations:

Yeah I seen that video yesterday. That's handpicked out of the handpicked samples:D

Arrrrbol likes this.
  8. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    Yeah totally agree with you there. You could be one of the guys that get the "Guaranteed 5.0ghz" and that's all you will see. Talk about a KICK in the you know WHAT!

Arrrrbol and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, that would totally suck. I would be so pissed off at myself for buying it if that happened.

SWEET!

Arrrrbol, jaybee83 and KY_BULLET like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Here's this for anyone that has an ASUS board. This is what der8auer was using in that video. Very simple tool compared to all of the extra fancy schmancy fluff in the AI Suite. It works for multiple generations of Intel CPUs, including the latest. Just watch very closely when you launch it that it reads the settings from the BIOS correctly. If not, close and re-launch it. Run as Admin in W7 compatibility mode. When changing settings, click apply once. If other settings appear to change, close and re-launch it again. Change only one setting at a time. (You have to be careful the same way with AI Suite as well, so if you're used to AI Suite, no different here.)

This is the newest version I could find on the web. I just found it yesterday. I had the version prior to this one that I got from Brother @Johnksss.

53x6_TurboV_Core.JPG

ASUS TurboV Core v1.02.02 [Download]

Arrrrbol, Convel, jaybee83 and 2 others like this.