*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
  2. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    I am assuming you aren't running 1.45v outside of benchmarks?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    ASUS has the most exhaustive motherboard settings and are generally popular, is usually why. For example gigabyte is generally just as good an overclocker but their BIOS is horrrrribleeeee so people avoid like plague. Those Strix boards are just slightly souped up PRIME Zx70-A boards with added features like wifi etc, as far as I remember. They're not worth their cash. Maximus X Hero is the one-stop shop too, if you're going beyond that you want the Apex (which only has two DIMMs, which makes it not useful for some of us).

As for why so many use the ASUS, it's probably as the bottom post in this short thread explains: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-maximus-x-hero-vs-asrock-z370-taichi.241511/

I wouldn't recommend any non-OC Formula ASRock board Z270 and prior though, I saw a noted improvement in their feedback and general acceptance once Zen came out, and they make up the bulk of my recommendations now (mainly due to being cheaper too). I mean come on the only difference between Maximus X Hero and Maximus X Code is a freaking STICKER that ASUS charges like $50 USD more for. ROG tax ish a no-no. Not that you'll get problems with a Hero mind you. I just don't really think it's so needed.

I haven't seen any EVGA board get openly praised since the X299 Dark, so I admittedly know less than I'd like in that category, but if they're just as good then hey more power to that, I'd not mind having more to recommend around

Papusan, KY_BULLET and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I was referring to EVGA GPUs. You also have to consider warranty. EVGA is supposed to be a pleasure to deal with, and their GPUs rock. Their Classified motherboards are also excellent.

Taichi might be a fanstastic motherboard, but the warranty is one year and only to their Authorized Distributor (not the end user). ASUS warranty is generally 3 years (or up to 5 years on some) for their enthusiast motherboards, and you don't have to deal with a third party.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/678/

https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=RMA

I also think there is something to be said for following the lead of master overclockers and seeing what motherboards are consistently being used at the top of the food chain. That said, it takes nothing away from the Taichi being an excellent product.

5. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Oh, I was only talking about motherboards. GPUs, I don't think it matters much on Pascal once you hit 1080Tis from what I remember reading/hearing. XOC BIOS and any GPU is any GPU I think?

Interesting about the warranty being only one year, that's quite low... I wonder if they're only doing one year because they can get away with it in the US *insert thinking face*

Ah well. Maybe I'll send an e-mail to ASRock and ask them why

KY_BULLET and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I run 54x6 with 1.456V almost all of the time. My idle temps are 28°C-32°C and load temps are 60°C-75°C depending on the benchmark. If my house is hotter than the normal 68°F-70°F, then I will drop down to 53x6 and 1.410V to keep the temps in the same range.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I'd also be curious why they put you off and force you to deal with the place where you bought it as well. That kind of sucks having to deal with a third party. I could see an RMA taking a helluva long time to resolve with that kind of silly nonsense going on. I did not know that until today, and knowing it's one year and only working through an authorized distributor, I will not likely ever consider buying anything from ASRock even if it is a good product.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    D2 Ultima and KY_BULLET like this.
  8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You're only running about 50mv more than me for my Skylake CPU, and your temperatures are pretty much the same as mine, so I'd probably be happy with that safety level too. Recommendations for Skylake was up to 1.45V as a 'safe' everyday maximum, is it the same recommendation for Coffee Lake?

KY_BULLET and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I don't know. Probably about the same maximum, but I never pay that much attention to recommendations like that. I focus on the temps more than anything else. That's where the greater likelihood of damage exists.

Papusan, KY_BULLET and Robbo99999 like this.
  10. Johnksss

Johnksss Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    He would be fine with a small fan over ram and still be able to keep his AIO intact.

We totally forgot to test those sticks on my board.

Yeah, that XMP is a big hit or miss most of the time. That comes from prior experience. Look at these 3600's I have. I thought they were junk when i had my RVE. They would not even run at 3400Mhz. Now they run at 4260Mhz and can run as low as cl15 or cl16 depending on bios.

Glad I did not junk them when I had the chance.

How much did you gain?