*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I think having a personal preference for one versus the other is perfectly fine, but from my personal perspective I don't really see any merit to having a gigantic air cooling system hanging off the motherboard like a goiter. Even if it were effective, it is not an elegant solution and the weight of it is not particularly good for the motherboard if it is vertically mounted. To be good at cooling it would need to have some weight to it.

Liquid cooling seem like a far more elegant and efficient approach, whether it be custom loop or AIO. Cutting corners is never a good idea using air or water. The end result is going to directly reflect the quality of the cooling solution deployed. I am 99.9% certain I would not be able to use the 8700K all day long as well as benching the crap out of it at 5.2GHz on 6 cores with an air cooling solution. The 360mm Thermaltake radiator handles it without breaking a sweat.

Papusan, Rage Set and Robbo99999 like this.
  2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't know what you think you've "debunked", if showing zero evidence classes as debunking then we're all a lost cause! I showed you some links that I've based my knowledge off, you've been simply spouting vague (and in my eyes invalid) theories.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  3. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Papusans link showing 8700K at 5.2Ghz running Cinebench at 99W power consumption - that's not much power to cool. Like I said in a reply to Papusan - my 6700K (before it was delidded) ran with NH-D14 air cooling at the same load in around the mid to high 60 degC's. In fact the 6 cores of the 8700K have a greater surface area than my 6700K, therefore this aids in even better cooling potential for the 8700K vs the 6700K. 8700K isn't magically difficult to cool, in fact the increased surface area of heat transfer enables it to be potentially easier to cool at any given wattage.

4. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I actually like the look of the metallic hulk of my tower cooler sitting above my GPU, so different strokes. Yeah, like you said, if you're gonna buy air or water - do research and get a good example of each one. I think I saw your 8700K at 170W in your benches, my 6700K (delidded) will do 130 something Watts in the 60's degC bracket when running OCCT, so an 8700K (overclocked to the max like you have) especially if delidded & with it's already 6 core increased surface area would allow it to be used on the best air coolers I reckon.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    99W is not a properly tuned 8700K running at 5.2GHz. It is barely more than stock TDP. It will not perform optimally with such a low power draw. You're actually looking at 150W or more at 5.2GHz if the CPU is properly tuned for maximum performance.
    I have already pulled 175W in 3DMark Vantage at 5.2GHz. And, I am using 5.2GHz all day long, not just for benching. I am skeptical that the best of the best air cooler available would be able to handle that, and at what cost in terms of noise and increasing room temperatures as that much heat is blown out of the case into my work space. Not saying it can't happen with the right monster air cooler, but I think the cons would outweigh the pros. I agree a massive heat sink is cool from an awe factor. It's like having a Caterpillar D8 bulldozer in your office/game room, LOL.

Papusan, Robbo99999 and bloodhawk like this.
  6. Johnksss@iBUYPOWER

Johnksss@iBUYPOWER Company Representative

Reputations:
    You guys are cracking me up! :D

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Here is just a down-and-dirty look at power draw. Nothing special as far as tweaking, just click-and-run Cinebench is 155W. I'm not sure air cooling is going to handle that gracefully.

I am even less sure about how well that is going to turn out in a P870 chassis. I guess we will find out once the P870TM1 hits the streets. For now, I am very skeptical based on the photos of the heat sinks I have seen. They look better than they used to, but it remains to be seen if that is going to be good enough to get the job done.

upload_2017-11-14_13-4-39.png

8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I'm gonna run OCCT now and do a screenshot, I think I remembered wrongly in my previous post to you where I stated 130W, I think it was more like 113W, but I'll post up the pic of temperatures & power etc to get an idea of what's possible. But, be aware that my cooler fans are on minimum RPM using the ULV adapter that comes with the cooler, if I remember rightly the temperature difference is about 5 degC between standard RPM and ULV adapter RPM, ULV adapter tempeature being 5 degC hotter.

Here's my 20min OCCT run (room temperature 19 degC):
    20min OCCT.jpg
    Temperatures in the 50's at 114W, peak watts of 122W, average temperatures for the run in the 50's, peak temperature of 63 degC. This could quite easily handle an overclocked 8700K don't you think? Bare in mind that I've not blown out the dust bunnies from the heatsink for about 6 months, and the CPU fans are at the lowest RPM (ULV adapter - silent). Temperatures would be at least 5 degC less after blowing out dust & increasing CPU fan speeds to the standard stock RPM.

It can also be seen from those sensors that air temperature in the case doesn't increase at all during the run - the GPU stays at the same temperature, and the "System" temperature sensor reading doesn't increase at all during the run. In my opinion this is air cooling done right, I don't think AIO is that much better.

9. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Not only that, people are not mentioning the difference in fan settings and how, once fans are maxed, you actually can see more disparity. I just stopped awhile ago. People seem to agree with my qualified statement above. Everything else seems to be debating which other factors are in play for achieving the results, all to get to their own conclusions. Let's get back to the matter at hand: OVERCLOCKING. We've got Mr. Fox's and my posts, some contribution from tgipier and rage set. Let's get some more and get this party started!!!!

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    :vbbiggrin:
    Also bear in mind that I am still in the early exploration phase. I am nowhere near finding out what this CPU can handle yet. In the beginning I was getting lower power draw and lower performance. Performance and watts keeps going up as I am searching for the ideal power and voltage values. Even 50x6 is above 113W now, and returning much better benchmark scores.

Part of the problem I was experiencing with the RAM overclocking is I was being way too stingy with voltage, same as CPU. I knocked the RAM voltage up to 1.440V and now it boots 3400 with ease. At 1.350V anything over 3333 would seldom complete POST.

Entertainment and clean comedy is just one of the many services we provide. :vbbiggrin:

Papusan, Rage Set, bloodhawk and 3 others like this.