*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ok, my thermocouples/temperature probe arrived this afternoon and I've done some testing - the purpose being to work out what my PC case air temperatures are at both idle & during gaming - to see how efficient the air flow is in my case, how much the case air temperature rises during gaming - because this heavily influences CPU & GPU temperatures.

Here's a pic showing where I put the two thermocouples to measure case air temperature in two different places (circled in red):
    • Thermocouple #1 is below the GPU showing the temperature of the air that the GPU is sucking in.
    • Thermocouple #2 is in front of the CPU cooler showing the temperature of the air that the CPU is sucking in.
    Thermocouple Location.jpg
    Ha, in above pic you also get to see my ghetto style cardboard baffles, but hey it works and I can't think of anything better, except maybe some thin'ish plastic flexible board. Also note that the top fan in the front intake is not used as it increases GPU temperatures.

Results:
    • "PCH" temperature in HWInfo mirrors the temperature of Thermocouple #1 (the thermocouple underneath the GPU) - so "PCH" temperature can be used as a guide for me to know air temperature coming into the GPU, although it does lag behind the actual air temperature reading somewhat because it is a heatsinked component that takes a while to change to the temperature of the surrounding air.
    • Idle case air temperatures are about 1 degC above room temperature, see following pics, and note how PCH temperature mirrors Thermocouple #1 temperature:
    room temp1.jpg thermocouple idle1.jpg HWInfo Idle1.jpg

results to be continued in next post, reached limit of number of pics attached!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Results Cont'd:

• Highest practical GPU load (Firestrike Graphics Test 1 looped) results in 12 degC increase in case air temperatures, up from 22 degC to 34 degC, see following pics:
    thermocouple Firestrike1.jpg HWInfo Firestrike1.jpg
    • CPU load doesn't really increase case temperatures at all (increase of 1 degC in comparison to GPU only load), Prime 95 combined with Firestrike Graphics Test 1 looped:
    thermocouple Firestrike&Prime.jpg HWInfo Firestrike&Prime.jpg
    • Moderate GPU loading during gaming (Battlefield 1) doesn't increase case air temps as much, increases by 8 degC (rather than the 12 degC of Firestrike Graphics Test 1 looped):
    Thermcouple Battlefield 1.jpg

Conclusions:
    • Didn't expect to see such a large increase in case air temperatures during GPU load, I was expecting it to be about a 5 degC increase over idle, but in fact it's 12 degC increase.
    • "PCH" temperature reported in HWInfo mirrors my case air temperature, so I can rely on that HWInfo sensor as a reliable measure of my case air temperature in the vicinity of the GPU, but it does time lag the actual case air temperature somewhat, takes a while to respond to changes in air temperature.
    • CPU load doesn't appreciably increase case air temperature (well a small amount, 1 degC increase) - the CPU cooler exhaust is directly in line with the exhaust case fan, so the heat gets blasted straight out the case pretty much.
    I'm curious how other PC cases measure up in terms of increases of case air temperature during GPU & CPU loading, but I don't really find any information/testing using thermocouples like I have done to work out the true case air temperatures. Have you guys or anyone done similar, or do you know of review sites that have done so?

Additional Thoughts:
    • Thermocouple location could change these results to some degree, although I have not tested that yet. GPU thermocouple I placed squarely below middle of GPU which is a worst case, because it would be cooler closer to the expansion slots (my GPU sucks in air from there), and it would be cooler closer to the front case intake fan - I chose worst case, so the GPU is in reality drawing in air that I imagine is slightly cooler than my thermocouple showed - there's probably a spectrum of different air temperatures that the GPU is drawing in across the length of the card.
    • In addition to the testing shown I measured quickly the air temperature on the outside of the case near the bottom front intake & the top front intake to show the temperature of the air being drawn into the PC case at different points, bottom front intake was 18.5 degC, top front intake was 20.5 degC. So, this is proving that room temperature is colder closer to the floor & hotter as you near the ceiling - hell it was a 2 degC difference in temperature over just the height difference of my case (just less than 2 foot). So, you wanna have your PC on the floor rather than a desk, and you want to have the majority of the air intake coming from the bottom of the case - this way it's drawing the coldest air from the room into your PC.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    electrosoft, KY_BULLET and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Been out of the country for almost 2 weeks. Missing out on some good stuff. Will be back on the 18th. I noticed Newegg has a sale on current Ryzens now, hopefully a sign that zen+ is on its way. See you guys soon!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

hmscott, Mr. Fox and KY_BULLET like this.
  4. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Wormwood, Mr. Fox and KY_BULLET like this.
  5. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Fanboyism is strange... Even with discovered flaws. They will trivialize what is the actual facts. Only AMD deliver in their eyes. And only Intel has security problems. It's tech. Both Intel and AMD will run into more security problems before or later.

Vistar Shook and KY_BULLET like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Well, to me the reality is that everything built by humans will be flawed, insecure and subject to exploitation. It's only a matter of discovery. I don't blame the AMD fanboys for trivializing the flaws. I trivialized the Intel flaws. Being OCD about them and fretting does nothing to fix the problem, and nothing we can do will avoid problems as long as there are dishonest people looking for a way to scam, steal and plunder. Anyone that believe that one product is safer than another should scope out my ocean beach property on the outskirts of Phoenix.

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    @Trafficante did you get it set up yet? My parts are here. Should have another 8700K tomorrow so I can choose the better of the two for the desktop and use the other one for testing the @Prema BIOS in the P870DM-G.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prema, Robbo99999, Cass-Olé and 2 others like this.
  10. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox @Papusan Exactly. I can't help but feel that somehow there is crap going on behind the scenes between AMD and Intel paying off these damn security experts and hackers to find flaws in their competitors product no matter how trivial. Instead of working together to IT security it's turning into some stupid tit for tat war. How long did those flaws and exploits on Intel's chips go unnoticed or at least undocumented again? Something about that seems strange.