]]>

*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    As I said in my post... " Depends on what's your workflow". If people said it doesn't hurt performance... This have never become a case on the web:)

2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    True, I'm just putting it in perspective though - users that need all the 4K performance that their SSD can offer are few & far between (I think it's just database work that benefits the most beyond a certain minimal level of 4K performance, a minimal amount which most SSDs can offer with ease nowadays).

Donald@HIDevolution and Vasudev like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    How are these? Pardon the dust (unavoidable living in the desert, LOL).

IMG_20180214_101121.jpg
    IMG_20180214_101302.jpg IMG_20180214_101320.jpg

I still think I am going to replace the 120mm with a 240 or 360mm radiator to install on the front panel like is was before and replace the hoses with longer ones on both coolers. The hoses were clearly designed for people that prefer smaller cases, not a full tower form factor.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  4. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Perfect, thanks! It looks good @Mr. Fox

Ok, question on a benchmark now. I cannot get 3Dmark Vantage to run on my system. It crashes right after the two gpu tests. I have tried stock speeds on everything, and it still crashes. I have also uninstalled it, and reinstalled, with the exact same results. If I uncheck the first two tests, I run the remaining tests without an issue. I have always hated this benchmark, and think its one of the worst futurmark have released. I updated to the latest sysinfo 5.5 also, so I have no clue why it crashes, other than the fact its a POS

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It crashes in the CPU/physics test even with the CPU stock? It only crashes on me if the voltage is too low with an overclock.

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Oh man, I love 3DMark Vantage (not PCMark Vantage). Why do you hate it so much? 3DMark Vantage is overall one of the best out there because it is brutally CPU centric. If you have any instability element or thermal issues it will fail at 3DMark Vantage. And, if the CPU is not powerful the overall score will suck, like 3DMark 11.

If I were going to take a guess as to why it is crashing, my first guess would be something is getting too hot. It is every bit as challenging as Cinebench, but the tests last longer and make things get hotter because of that. Test 1 and Test 2 also use the CPU more than most benchmarks and that starts warming up the CPU and VRMs before the CPU tests 3 and 4 even start. If the CPU tests pass when without running tests 1 and 2 running, then thermals are the most likely cause of the crashing. Higher temps require more voltage, so if the CPU is getting warmer during test 1 and 2, voltage that is sufficient in other circumstances might be too low by the time tests 1 and 2 have finished and the CPU tests are started.

I think @Trafficante was having an issue similar to years with Vantage crashing and if I remember right it was resolved when he started using AC cooling. Just because the CPU cores are not super hot does not mean something else is not getting too hot.

Going back a few years, in the Gen1 Athlon, Pentium I-IV, Core2, and Gen1 Core i days 3DMark Vantage actually killed a few CPUs because they were not able to handle the extreme load, LOL.

The ones I like the least are Fire Strike and Time Spy. Fire Strike is a panty-waist benchmark for sissies with crappy BGA CPUs (almost no penalty imposed in the overall score for having a sucky physics score) and Time Spy is a Windoze OS X Kool-Aid drinker benchmark. Fire Strike has a great GPU test, and the physics part is OK too, except for the fact it does not carry enough weight/penalty in the overall score when the CPU performance is lackluster.

7. Raiderman

Reputations:
    I guess to be fair, I haven't tried stock, stock, but it is cinebench proof, and I have run the cpu/physics tests separately and it works fine. Alright I will try bone stock, and see if it still crashes.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

8. Raiderman

Reputations:
    I preferred 06 over vantage, mostly I think of impatience. With the clocks I use, I can run back to back to back of cinebench without issues, and wprime 1024 in multiple consecutive runs also. I think I've even used a fan (floor fan) to blow inside the case. Seems to me that cinebench, being newer would stress all the cores, thus create more heat, more so than vantage would?

I think its a buggy benchmark IMO. It just does strange things, like running all stock just now, it had a script error with flash player. Totally stock, the first two tests didnt even take my cpu off of AMD's cool and quiet. Speed never went above 2200mhz, and temps at 30c.
    Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
  10. Raiderman

Reputations: