*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Well, that test is designed for low end stuff and may not be taxing enough on your system. You can try AFR1 and AFR2 to see if either one helps. If the GPU core is running 1632, the test is too light to cause enough workload for the GPUs to hit boost clocks. Also try setting K-Boost on as well as testing AFR1 and AFR2.

Raiderman, KY_BULLET and Trafficante like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I am not sure what is going on. Did you also try AFR1? As I mentioned, this benchmark is for low-end garbage hardware, so it probably does not know how to deal with your monster with SLI, CPU cores up the ying-yang and quad channel memory, LOL. That's probably why your Alienware laptop gets as good or better scores. It actually has to work harder and your desktop is simply getting slightly annoyed by it.

Here is what you read about the benchmark in the 3DMark application:

Description
    Use Ice Storm to compare smartphones, tablets and ultra-portable notebooks. You can compare Ice Storm scores from Windows, Android and iOS devices. Ice Storm is a DirectX 11 feature level 9 test.

In the 3DMark Technical Guide, it has this to say about it on page 85:

Ice Storm is a cross-platform benchmark for low cost, basic smartphones and tablets and older mobile devices. We recommend using Time Spy, Fire Strike, and Sky Diver for testing modern PCs. Ice Storm includes two Graphics tests focusing on GPU performance and a Physics test targeting CPU performance. On Android and iOS, Ice Storm uses OpenGL ES 2.0. On Windows, Ice Storm uses a DirectX 11 engine limited to Direct3D feature level 9. Ice Storm's test content, settings and rendering resolution are the same on all platforms and scores can be compared across Windows, Android and iOS.
    • Cross-platform benchmark for older mobile devices.
    • Includes two Graphics tests and a Physics test.
    • Compare scores across Windows, Android and iOS.

KY_BULLET, Raiderman and Trafficante like this.
  3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's quite a trip Raiderman! Good to see those low temperatures.

One thing that is amazing about Pascal, they often top out at the same clocks, almost regardless of card, 2100Mhz is pretty close to the absolute limit of what is achievable, but a lot of people seem to get there, I can get a max of 2113Mhz, you guys are at 2050 to 2100Mhz top, which is also noteworthy because you have 1080ti with a lot more silicon than my GTX 1070 which traditionally makes the probability of higher overclocks lower yet it's effectively the same as my 2113Mhz (only 3% difference in clock from 2050Mhz to 2113Mhz - nothing). My air cooled GTX 1070 holds 2050Mhz as a sustained gaming boost figure on Default Auto Fans without added voltage, but holds 2075Mhz with added voltage and slightly more aggressive manual fans as a sustained gaming boost figure. I normally just game without adding voltage as it's quieter, pretty much silent, and the difference between 2050Mhz and 2075Mhz is nothing. That's the thing, water cooling would get my card to run at 2113Mhz sustained gaming boost clock, but what's 2113Mhz vs 2050Mhz - significantly less than 3% performance difference in games (because performance doesn't scale equally with core clock), and both solutions are quiet - it's nice to see the aesthetics of a water cooled GPU, and it's satisfying to see the low temperatures and higher boost clocks, but at the end of the day we're only talking about less than 3% performance difference between air cooled and water cooled Pascal GPUs, this generation of NVidia GPUs really doesn't respond to water cooling with a practical advantage. I wonder if future generations of NVidia GPU will respond better to water cooling.

Raiderman, KY_BULLET and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I know how, but I got rid of it on mine a week or two ago. It reduced the CPU benchmarks by a little bit having RAID0. The CPU has to manage the RAID array, so it takes a little bit of juice for that. My wPrime and Cinebench scores immediately went back up to where they were before after I stopped using RAID0.

All you have to do is change the BIOS settings and create the RAID0 membership. No need to buy anything.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Vasudev, Papusan and TANWare like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Papusan, Raiderman, Johnksss and 4 others like this.
  9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Cool, so GTX 1080 (laptop) power delivery mod, how much TDP are you at now for GTX 1080, can you use it all?

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    After I get the heat sink built and I can find its functional limits, will post more info. I expect it to be identical to the P870DM3 with single 1080. Should be able to push the 1080 to 300W or higher with no problem using the Prema 1080 vBIOS mod. It has the external power and the additional MXM power (which is required for it to post) on the previously unused (non-reference design) pins in the MXM slot that Clevo jerry-rigged to make upgrades a pain in the ass.

The CPU power delivery is also beefed up now. Maybe will be able to supply a full 1.500V (hopefully) and push the 7700K to 5.3 or 5.5GHz. Stock on the left and mod on the right. All of the empty capacitor and FET pads are filled now, as well as 6 additional capacitors (more than a dozen capacitors added). Look closely... many changes. Credit goes to @Khenglish for this.

[​IMG]
    @Johnksss

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018