*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
  2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Cool, congrats, looks great! You had an air cooled GPU before right - did you convert your air cooled GPU to liquid cooling or just buy a new GPU, or did you have a 580 before - can't remember?! GPU temperatures good?

Raiderman and KY_BULLET like this.
  3. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah send me a password and I will get on the team. I actually have an account but never did anything with it.

4. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sold the 580, bought a 1080, sold the 1080, and bought a Ti. :) Then bought the copper cooler from evga. Superposition max temp I have seen is 38c. It's helped my overclock slightly, as I still can't run anything at 2100mhz core. Close, at 2088 though.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

5. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    2088 is about right. I'm only able to run 2100 on a good day. Most of the time the core drops to 2088.

Papusan and Raiderman like this.
  6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My core is 2025 on air. It starts at 2050 on SP but after a few scenes drops and holds at 2025.

Papusan, Raiderman and KY_BULLET like this.
  7. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OK. I'm just in the infantile stages of my understanding of what's going on here. I'm getting my feet with with first trying to come up with a stable undervolt. I'm not 100% positive of what I'm doing right now, but trying to map what I see in the ASRock's BIOS vs. what you guys say is the first step.

If I'm understanding their UEFI correctly, I can change voltage in the "FIVR Configuration". "Core Voltage Mode" is set to adaptive. I *think* I need to change the "Core Voltage Offset", which "specifies the offset voltage applied to the IA Core domain" with a negative 'millivolt' component. Does that sound about right?

Also, (assuming I've done this correctly), I'm stable with -88 mV setting in Adaptive for an i7-7820X. Anyone have any idea if the silicon for this CPU is going to be a poor performer? I don't know if expected voltages from architecture to architecture can be compared. My guess is they cannot be compared, so I don't know where -85mV falls in the grand scheme of things for the i7-7820X.

Thx

----

Edit - Apparently undervolting in Linux is going to require a lot of research. Setting an undervolt in BIOS and then launching a Linux Mint installer causes it to crash with a 'machine check exception'. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    hmscott and KY_BULLET like this.
  8. Johnksss

Johnksss Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Try running it again, but this time leave NV Control Panel setting at stock. and see if your test one score starts to match your test 2 score.

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Looks really nice, bro. :vbthumbsup:
    Sent via PM.

KY_BULLET and Raiderman like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It is only there "in case you want to" rerun any of those tests individually instead of running the entire benchmark from start to finish. The scores are still valid and you are not required to rerun them.

Raiderman, KY_BULLET and Trafficante like this.