*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Temps on GPU are the same. Temps on CPU are the same. Performance is the same (about 100 pts higher in Fire Strike with the GPU vertically mounted, so within a normal margin of error). The GPU cooler hoses are too short to reach the front now, so I had to mount in in the rear again. I think I will get a 240mm radiator and longer hoses so I can mount that in front. I do not care for it being mounted in the back. I haven't decided if I like the looks of it better. It makes the case look bigger and roomier inside than it does with a standard GPU installation.

IMG_20180214_012802.jpg

Trafficante, Vasudev, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, if it makes no difference, then leave as it was before if it's a pain to reconfigure all the hoses, but if you like the looks better then why not.

Vasudev, Raiderman and KY_BULLET like this.
  3. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah I just used Inspectre to disable Meltdown.

Vasudev and Raiderman like this.
  4. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox when you get a chance, could you get a little closer shot for me please?

Ok, I broke down and purchased this stuff. My arm was being twisted to the point that I had to give in :rolleyes:

DEMCiflex Magnetic Fan Dust Filter - Custom Filter for Triple 120mm Radiators or Fans (To meshify the top of the H500P case)
    Bitspower EZ Fan Screw (20 pcs)
    Deluxe Rubber Screws - Open Chassis Fan Mounts (Vibration Isolators) - Set of 4 - Black
    Alphacool HF quick release connector kit G1/4 - black (quick releases for GPU)
    XSPC AX140 Single-Fan Radiator - Black (Will exit CPU water block and enter this radiator before heading to GPU water block)
    XSPC Fittings Choice 2 x XSPC G1/4" to 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD Compression Fitting - Black Chrome- V2 -

EVGA Hydro Copper Waterblock for GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 400-HC-5699-B1

I decided to go this route, as the all in one still relies on a fan to cool memory and VRM. This waterblock cools everything.

I am addicted again :)

Mr. Fox, Trafficante, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Fair enough, I'm an advocate of leaving it enabled though, it's less than 1% difference in performance isn't it? And for games & productivity I'm guessing you don't even need 100% of the resources of your 8700K anyway.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Or +20% hit in certain 4K performance workloads. Aka productivity. Depends on what's your workflow. Say it's less than 1% difference in performance, is more like the ostrich who hides it's head in...
    [​IMG]

Raiderman, Vasudev and KY_BULLET like this.
  7. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Your right, it's not much difference really with what I mostly do. But, it drives me crazy that I can't run cinebench at 50x or 51x like I used to. And having to watch my bench scores drop is aggravating. Besides that, how am I ever going to be able to compete with Mr. Fox with a performance crippled machine? Lol!!!....NOT! His know-how is way out of my league:p

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    What part would you like a closer shot taken?

Raiderman and Vasudev like this.
  9. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was wanting a little closer shot of the vertical mounted GPU.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    You can still have Meltdown protection enabled with your old BIOS that allows for your higher overclocks. I've got an old BIOS, and Meltdown protection is just an OS update - it's Spectre protection that requires the BIOS update.

@Papusan , forgot to use multi-quote - yes, 4K workloads are the biggest drop, but generally we don't tax our SSD's to the max with 4K workloads beyond benchmarks. So, system & programs will still be snappy with a bit of reduction in 4K, because there's "additional overhead" with the large amount of 4K performance that SSD's already offer. It's the same reason why optane drive enabled systems that have massive 4K performance don't see much real world gains in general desktop/productivity/gaming workloads - unless the work is very specifically 4K biased - I think databases. (Just a link saying that optane and massive 4K performance can't offer much to the general user: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/2)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    KY_BULLET likes this.