*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Although it is possible in an environment with static electricity, I have never had any kind of mishap. But, I am also not careless and pay attention to what I am doing. I bet they would be more careful if they were paying for those parts. When they get everything for temporary testing/review purposes and they have no skin in the game, maybe they are just more careless because it's not their money.

2. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Ok, just for giggles, I ordered one of these over the weekend. Gonna see if temps are the same, better or worse with the 1080 Ti mounted vertically in the bracket that came with the View 71 case. Time permitting, will find out late this evening what the verdict is.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NH0GW7Z

upload_2018-2-13_9-57-21.png
    IMG_20180213_100017.jpg

Papusan, Raiderman, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Your GPU is liquid cooled so vertical mounting shouldn't really hurt temperatures, at least not like vertical mounting generally hurts cooling performance of air cooled GPUs (Gamers Nexus often prove in reviews that vertical mounting of air cooled GPUs is a bad idea). Vertical mounting might even help your temperatures if it allows passive heat collecting around the card to escape more efficiently.

4. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not too keen on this mounting, and I think it's a fad. What purpose does it have, other than to show off the fan side of your gpu? I think it makes it more difficult to access the other pci slots as well, is it not? @Mr. Fox I'm sure we will have a full review as to what you think of it :) I had a LianLi case back in the day that mounted the motherboard upside down so the fan side of the video card was on top. Didn't care for that too much.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

KY_BULLET, Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    We shall see. I don't use any of the other PCI-e slots, and when I can afford to buy another 1080 Ti SC2 for SLI it won't work. Just satisfying my curiosity. And, yes, I do think it is a fad for the most part.

On another note, been playing around with the new cancer BIOS with the Intel fixes leaving mostly defaults (other than memory and a few extreme presets needed for 5.2GHz) and using only @unclewebb's amazing ThrottleStop for CPU overclocking. So far, fairly decent on memory and 3DMark 11 Physics test. In just a bit and I will post a couple of screen shots.

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I think I will go back to the insecure BIOS (again). I'm not liking the wPrime and Cinebench hits, but the memory and 3DMark 11 Physics were not hurt.

3DM11-Physics.JPG TS-AIDA64.JPG

Raiderman, KY_BULLET and Vasudev like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    How much was wPrime and Cinebench hit by the new so called <secure> bios?

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Changed from about 2.9 seconds on average in wPrime 32m to 3.1 and about 20 points loss on Cinebench R15, and about 0.5 - 0.7 seconds loss on Cinebench R11.5. So, not much change, but enough to lose on the leaderboard. That doesn't fly.

This is back on the old "insecure" BIOS.

3DM11-Physics-Old-BIOS.JPG

upload_2018-2-13_15-1-49.png

Vasudev, Raiderman, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    wPrime is quite a big change then, but not so much with the other ones you listed. I'm still waiting for MSI to release an updated BIOS that fixes the Spectre issue (Z170A), but I think it's gonna be a while, my motherboard supports Kaby Lake too, and Intel haven't released a fix yet for Kaby Lake to OEM's (just released the Skylake one so far), so MSI unlikely to release a half baked BIOS with only Skylake updates while leaving Kaby Lake in the dark. How come you've got an updated BIOS for the Spectre fix, I thought it was only Skylake that Intel have fixed properly so far, the others were withdrawn?

10. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm on the latest and greatest A.30 bios with MSI, I'm hating it. It has crippled my performance bad. I cant get to 51x anymore. Can barely get 50x on 3DMark, and only 49x on Cinebench. If i try 50x on cinebench at 1.35v, it will crash within seconds.

Edit...Wrong bios, changed from A.20-A.30

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Raiderman and Papusan like this.