*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:
    This would make sense why the 1700 kit from Arctic included a pretty massive metal backplate to replace the anemic one in comparison to the1100/1200 series back plate. When I opened up the 1700 kit I just went, "whoa....that is a serious back plate!"

"There and Back Again" by Mr. Fox. :)

If you aren't going to use 11th then I can see why moving back to the Z490 platform makes sense.

My current state of the tech:

Problematic X170KM-G is on its way back for a full refund.

I returned my Z590 Hero yesterday and sold my 11900k after offering a full build out to my daughter and she just gave me "the look" and said, "Dad, you know I only like laptops." I was letting her play around on the X170SM-G and as much disdain as she had for a desktop build out she was equal parts wanting the X170SM-G asking, "So when are you going to upgrade me to this?" :p

I have one more build out from parts laying around (Z590 + 10900k atm) on eBay to move and then I'm fully downsized to my desktop and zTecPC X170SM-G laptop in the sig. The wife will be away all day tomorrow so I might move the extra 10900k into her system instead and upgrade her i3-10105f.

I'll probably sell at least two of the BGA laptops too. I was hoping the X170KM-G worked out and I was going to either keep both or sell the X170SM-G but the defects and problems has me more than content to settle in with the SM that after the initial hiccups is running like a beast.

Binned 10900k SP101 is installed in the X170SM-G and running like a champ. ~12c cooler and pulling ~25w less with similar settings and that is without a delid versus the original 10900k that was binned, delidded and still running nicely in the SM.

Ashtrix, Clamibot, Rage Set and 2 others like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Even if there were a 10-core 11th gen option, comparing Z490 to Z590, I might still want to stick with Z490. The issues using Windows 7 on Z590 are unacceptable to me. It will probably get worse, so I may have to stay on Z490 indefinitely because the OEMs seem to universally be butt-kissing zombies when it comes to cooperating with the Redmond Retards and allowing them to have a say in what they do.

TheDantee, Ashtrix, Clamibot and 5 others like this.
  3. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So, if I’m checking for exclusive products I would look on the Evga page that shows “No exclusive products available” “Please check back later”

Is that correct? Is this the same place I’d find new launches, and elite member products? Like, perhaps the 3090Ti Kingpin lol? Or the Z690 Dark?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  4. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

I enjoyed the Z490 Dark. I thought it was great. I also currently still enjoy my Z590 Dark. I had the same quirks with both motherboards though. I don’t use Windows 7 personally, but I should for benching.

I had problems with 11th Gen on Z490 Dark, and I had problems with 10th Gen on Z590 Dark.

When I ran my Z490 Dark KP on 11900K, I was limited with memory overclocking because there was no VCCIO AUX option in the bios, I was forced to run 3100Mhz Gear (1) Yet, my $90 dollar piece of turd Gigabyte Z490 board has this “Specific bios option” and allows you run run up to CPU IMC limits of around 3,867Mhz+ Gear (1) just fine.. Evga needs to get their act together with the bios on both motherboards for one thing. The fact is, I have a 11900K on gamerboy Z490 Aorus Elite and it can run very well. But, I was limited on a high end Evga enthusiast grade motherboard. This sucks because, it limits 10th Gen to Evga Z490, and then limits 11th Gen to Evga Z590. As for other major problems. The debug LED failed on both of these Evga boards.

This tells me two things, there is something going on with Evga component quality, and there is something else with there attention to bios issues. Evga should optimize all of the generations designed to run on a specific motherboard. Just 2-3 years of support would be nice. But no, EVGA wanted to push out all of the inventory of the Z490 Darks, so they handed Vince a pen, had him sign the bunch and they added $100 bucks to the price tag. Then they dropped the ball on a newly released CPU that provided a very very substantial IPC bump.

I have tested two Z490 motherboards with Intel 11th gen. One was about $199 dollars msrp, the other was $599 msrp. Comparing them both right with 11th Gen, and the ladder $600 dollar option does not provail at all. What was funny is, with all the issues I had with the Z490 Dark, I anticipated the Z490 Aorus to not even work at all. However, it’s the total opposite. It runs 11th Gen like it is a run of the mill Z590 board

The fact is, there is the correct tool for the job I suppose. And for the 10850K/10900K the Z490 Dark is the absolute best option.

Evga still needs to get their act together though. Because the fact I can push an 11900K faster on a Z490 Gigabutt board “Does not look good” That Z490 Dark needs to be priority for at least newly released CPU’s to run optimally. I had so much fun on that board, and obviously I’d take the dark board any-day over the Aorus/Gigabyte option. But still, they need to test things more frequently. I was very upset when I had to replace my $600 dollar Z490 Dark Kingpin motherboard. And Evga is just like “HUH?” Oh! “ Send us a picture of your socket pins. So we can make sure none of them are bent”

Major face palm..

I enjoyed both the 10900K, and the 11900K. But, why can’t I run them both properly on one motherboard like other manufacturers? Evga really sticks to the 1 trick pony move with chipsets I suppose. I don’t think they tested Z590 with 10900K, or Z490 with 11900K much further than powering it on and loading windows.

5. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How has your 3960X held up? my 3990X was a mess daily crashes even tried swapping the ram to once of the newer 256GB Kits and its still was crashing once a day even 2x sometimes no bios updates ever no new CPUs just an updated WRX80 socket... felt so shafted from the platform I sold it over a year ago and there's only been 1 bios update on the Gigabyte boards since so I assume the issues are still awful. I only used Windows on it for benchmarks then quickly ran to Linux you couldn't even use the 128 Threads without having an addon Windows for Workstations ridiculous money grab. Loved the CPU and platform but the crashes just were to much. 5950X with really tight timing ram no issues ridiculous how you can spend more and get a worse experience.

Ashtrix, Papusan and Rage Set like this.
  6. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:
    JZ2C tackling the washer mod and even lapping his 12900k:

Clamibot, tps3443 and Papusan like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    upload_2022-1-14_18-36-31.png

8. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Outside of the problems from my first two Asus mobos, I haven't run into any major platform related issues with TRX40. It is my daily driver workstation but outside of the random video/photo editing, it is overkill for my current needs. No crashes, even with 128GB of 3600 @ CL14, it runs like butter. I had more issues with my AM4 (Gigabyte Xtreme) setup than TRX40.

9. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    AMD had to reduce clock speed with the added 3dV cashe for the Ryzen 5800 refresh to stay within TDP specs. Seems Intel will try something similar. Add in higher cashe over more real cores to stay within the power budget/specs to become the gamer king. More of the small E-cores won't have the same impack on power as more P-cores to keep the Cpu TDP within specs. Nice with special Cpus for gaming and power saving. Too complicated make a high end mainstream chips for all types tasks. Or too expensive (bigger die with more real cores is a money drain and has to be avoided).

Intel 13th Gen Raptor Lake CPUs Could Feature Up To 55% More Cache Over Alder Lake For Enhanced Gaming Performance

10. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    I am now a member of the water chiller family. I purchased it from the same guy as @tps3443 Thanks bro

Clamibot, Reciever, Ashtrix and 4 others like this.