*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, that is definitely the issue. They're so obsessed with greed and worry about the lowest common denominators being able to play their games without paying for them that they end up penalizing everyone else with buggy crap. It is not an honorable way of running a business and I hope the Redmond Retards find it impossible to ever fix it and cannot make Windows 11 compatible with DRM. That would be a hilarious failure that ultimately serves justice and the greater good.
    I don't care for Witcher titles or anything else that is similar (due to not liking the genre and play style). I have all of them and I have only used them as benchmark tools. I also like to support GoG because they are anti-DRM. If I like a product and intend to use it, I will purchase it. I will buy a license for each system... ONCE. I'm not paying them more than one time for a single-user/machine license that I am only using on one machine. The DRM filth makes me want to use a crack to play a game that I would otherwise have no interest in playing just to spite the sucky game dev and studio for their Nazi-like behavior.

The same applies to any other software. When they impose activation count limits and tell me I have to pay again because I have exceeded the activation count limit due to my frequent OS reinstalls and hardware swaps, or that I have to purchase another license to run it on more than one OS on the same machine, I am going to take whatever steps I need to take in order to continue using the product I paid for. I don't give a damn whether they approve of it or not. I gave them my money already, now it is out of their hands and no longer their decision. And, I sleep well knowing I did the right thing by paying for something (once) rather than stealing it. I have been purchasing Micro$lop Office directly from the Redmond Retards for years. As soon as they blacklist the keys I have purchased from them due to the frequent system changes I continue using the product through "unauthorized" means. I willingly gave them my money and have proof that I did. I did because they deserve to be paid and I do not approve of piracy, but after the purchase, I'll use my way.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  2. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, almost everything they sell is under-engineered, underperforming and unnecessarily proprietary, with artificial functionality limitations that only exist on a Dell version of any given platform.

electrosoft and Papusan like this.
  3. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra

This is the kind of stuff that really makes my mind's juices flow. It is the part of me that wants to build and improve upon and what may dictate my future in technology.

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, that is really amazing. It looks gorgeous. I wish I had the machinery needed to do things like that.

5. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was going to install my 10900K in my X170SM-G, but I wanted to see how the 10600K that came with my system would overclock before I did.

I had some fun with it. I think it's a dud for overclocking since I have to apply an overvolt for any frequency higher than for 4.9 GHz, and I'm not sure my 4.9 GHz overclock is entirely stable. The voltage is already at 1.43v at that frequency.

5 GHz requires a 50mv overvolt to be stable, so I'm sitting at 1.48v now :eek:. It's a thermal throttling mess for cinebench, but it works great for games. I'm not keen on leaving an overvolt applied all the time though. Yeah, I think I'm gonna install my 10900K soon for more interesting results.

On the bright side, I can achieve 144 fps in Far Cry 5 now since I can overclock to crazy high speeds. This'll allow me to power though laggy unoptimized Ubisoft games.

How high of a voltage is safe? I want to have some more fun with this CPU, but I don't want to burn this CPU out because I want to give it to my dad.

Ashtrix, Tenoroon, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  6. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:
    Holy shnikes.... 1.48 @ 5ghz on a Coffee?! Yeah, that's not exactly a great clocker....

I know people have their own ranges, but for 9th and 10th I'm not going over 1.350 D2D and for 11th I'm not going over 1.400v D2D.

Time to pop in the real deal 10900k.....

Ashtrix, Tenoroon, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah that has been my experience with them as well, I may soon swap everything over an actual mining motherboard and attempt to sell these precisions I have, balancing that and car maintenance and I guess "mods" has been trying lol

Let me know if you decide to part with it, I have been very hesitant to deal with unknown second hand sellers.

I wonder if people have been making 120mm shrouds for GPU's, for mining it wouldnt need to be off center since most of the time they are just hanging on the frame.

I keep my own chip at 4Ghz and 1.01v, but I think the copper has absorbed some of the LM, its probably long overdue for another application.

8. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Posted a lot of stuff... but excuse for the tangential ranting.

I don't want to sugarcoat anything but here it is bro papu, DRM of any kind is nonsense. I'm not going to pay for that junk. Devs supporting ? yeah I do with buying some merch and artbook etc. But I aint paying for something which I will never own but get a stupid license which Steam or any digital store will have control over and shaft me when I say not approved safe space friendly stuff on their forums. Steam forums uses to be cool. Now if you say anything or point out anything, you will get a community ban if it goes far. Permanent community ban. If it goes even far then Permanently banned from Valve. EGS is a really trash store which deserves nothing, they just using that punk money from Fortnite garbo and Unreal Engine work, forum doesn't even exist lmao.

DRM is just utter trash. Every single corporation has an incentive to make money I get it. Sometimes some of them remove the DRM after a year or so, because the way how Denuvo works is it's contract based and it's expensive too. Crysis Demaster was under contract, the total cash was $140K for the DRM protection 12 Months remember this company was bankrupted with real talent leaving and now has that much money ? well they had the bribe from EGS for a year of contract and once the product ends on that platform exclusivity on PC the devs do not care or have passion they only care about money only exception was Metro Exodus because 4A was forced by their masters Koch Media / Deep Silver... on the same note of Crytek check this awful garbage from Crytek, simply ported bs console port because they know the money exists on the console cooonsumer platform esp that Switch where demasters sell for AAA tag $60, every single Crysis Demaster is a Junk conslow port, it was expected but they think people are dumb not to see through their BS.

And the way how Denuvo works is it generates an online token that is only valid for a few hours. I think a year or couple back the token activation limit was over a Week. Like you need to get Online to authenticate with the Servers to get the game running. Now the token window is so small, it's just 24-48Hrs depending on the game and also activation limits I think around 5 per 24Hrs or something. That means every single Denuvo protected game today that exists is an Always OL DRM system. There's no way out. One has to bend over. We have some really nasty companies that keep DRM for ages. Square Enix is one to note, Ubisoft is another, perma DRM.

Coming over to the other type of DRM looking at Blizzard, theirs is purely Always OL, the game code will run off their servers this means only partial code exists on the user computer. Which is really insane. Diablo III was not AlwaysOL on console junk but only on PC it is. The last game that Blizzard made that I would really care about is StarCraft II Legacy of the Void expansion. COD MW and Black Ops Cold War are strictly online only for SP campaigns. Ubisoft is notorious for not just one DRM but a Pentragramesque 4-5 layer DRM system. We all know UWP. Anyone who supports this is part of the problem there's no question about it. EA is in business Ubisoft is also along with other trash publishers. Square Enix tho lost their everything for that dumpster fire DOA Avengers, I'm very happy to see them go broke losing a ton on that. They killed Deus Ex for that trash, now in this current climate of triple A, I don't want Deus Ex get butchered, hopefully the IP stays dead.

The funniest part is how ADL is having issues with these DRMs lol. Big little junk and has some issues already, reminds me of StarForce and SecuROM which went bricking PCs and DVD drives. I wonder how old games will even work on this processor, will Intel Thread Director able to handle it properly and Windows10/11 NT Kernel will handle it properly ? Soo many questions for that new CPU design. I really hate Intel harder than ever, Sapphire Rapids doesn't have any of this junk but LGA1700 has because Intel screwed it up in the power consumption and clock scaling along with greed for BGA high volume junk margins to mint money. Also DDR4 like Gear 1 only system is now history. They hit the wall. RKL was first sign. You said perfectly how come ADL with reduced instruction set, reduced IPC, reduced clocks beat true full fat x86 cores on Ryzen parts. Unless M$ shenanigans or some weird DDR5 trickery is at work. Well well M$ already at work, their new updates kill Ryzen CPU performance badly on top of that VBS BS.

Final closing note, the same people buy the MTX laced total normie crud bottom barrel kool-aid with even worse tech, Kernel level Anti Cheat. Riot games mints bags of cash from their games Valorant, which have abusive system admin level access. Activision's latest COD has Ricochet Anti Cheat at Kernel Level with system admin level access as well. Stupidity beats everything when they outnumber others. It's going to get even worse as AAA is now more of a fancy politically checkbox driven trash than compelling escapism experiences and fun.

I will go one more step GOG has most titles with galaxy dlls which have issues on their own, if you delete it the game won't run but do note it checks with their servers and checks for their Galaxy client always when you execute the game exe. So yeah every single game distribution out there has it out for you. The only silver liming is GOG is still there and exists even with some negatives. Their recent fiasco was controlled else they would be losing sales from their relatively small user target. To those who do not know, IOI had new Hitman reboot listed on their store, which was designed to be Always OL Server side game code to play the game for some features in the game itself. GOG listed it on their DRM free store with an Always OL DRM not working means only 50% of the game and worse blasted reviews calling this BS out (check this link on how GOG was intimidating lol). However GOG quickly controlled before it would implode on their face and removed the game.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Cant comment on everything as I dont follow it all as closely as you have but I remember me and my friend would often remind people that Steam is still DRM. They have done well in disguising that fact with generally speaking how well it runs (certainly not in the beginning) and likely more importantly the steam sales but lately and I believe this may be similar for many others who've been in the target market that sales and free games have for the most part lost their luster as the list of genuinely interesting titles has always been small to begin with.

The one that irks me more often though is the EA Online store, Dead Space 2 I have to yell at them to reactivate the license because its out of tokens but from an unprincipled point though their customer service is better than most. Just wish I didnt need them every other time I think about playing an EA title lol

Not a pro or con point to @Ashtrix just my 10 second opinion to add to the mix.

Lastly in the event of a ban from your account, if they dont refund you what you paid for the licenses then whats to stop someone from just grabbing the game off the net via VPN?
    Short answer? Nothing lol

10. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:

Unfortunately the days of owning software almost nearly across the entire spectrum are long gone. Everything is subscription / limited license based. It is even worse on mobile devices. Software as a service has taken a very dark turn for the worse.

Just noticed the bottom of your sig:

upload_2021-10-18_10-15-37.png

That's a nice little mini farm you have going!

Mr. Fox, Ashtrix, Papusan and 2 others like this.