*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Oh yeah, as a stop gap CPU I wouldnt complain. At the time it dropped I also didnt like the idea of 6c/12t especially when the 8700k had been in the wild already.

That EVGA board looks nice, going to have to research tomorrow and see if its bifurcation friendly. Right now my 5820x precision is the dumbest system I have ever used. It looks like the Precision towers can only do 1 CPU per 2 GPU's. So even if I have 5 PCIE slots I can only use 2 of them. Luckily it has the 9800x in it so it can still be fun but making sure it can serve the function I have in mind first.

electrosoft, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    What I find to be probably the most discouraging thing about being a PC enthusiast in 2021 is the almost non-existent interest or participation in overclocking and benching that exists among Linux users. At a time that Micro$lop is scraping the bottom of the digital cesspool with how truly pathetic and disgusting Windows has become and moving to Linux has never carried greater potential to be a more enticing alternative, the unfortunate reality is that it would be a truly mundane and unstimulating experience. Being already familiar with the general audience, I expected an unimpressive level of engagement, but this is truly pathetic and very deflating.

upload_2021-10-13_4-59-2.png

Keeping the big picture in perspective, this probably should be the last thing any of us should be concerned about. With our nation teetering on the verge of becoming a economically and morally bankrupt Totalitarian slum there are certainly bigger fish that need to be fried right now.

3. Aerokski

Aerokski Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have got some nostalgic vibes. After instalation od 3dmark11 I found top scores form my previous laptops. https://www.3dmark.com/compare/3dm1...3dm11/13499642/3dm11/13924549/3dm11/14643771#. From P170HM with modded 680M and coil whinning power supply, where sleep was bugged, through P157SM-A 8970M and custom vbioses with power mods. Later "BGA junk" aka Medion X7849 (Based on Clevo P670RS-G) where I first experimented with liquid metal. And finally big heavy guns. First contact with 1080 SLI and 6700K was wonderfull, and scary (due to fan noise while installing windows). Later some basic mods like changing thermal paste and CPU delliding with conductonaut. After a while I gained enough courage to install Dsanke bios, 9900KF and 64GB CJR/JJR based memory wich again gived me signifcant bump of performance. And that's it. I sold it with conviction that I build desktop... well not this time xD. First GPU prices were horendous, second I found bargain for new P870TM1-G with two year warranty. This time I spend only 2 months with orginal setup and 9900K P0, 64 GB of B-Die ram changed that. Again after bit of experimenting and tweaking changes were made form little beast to literally portable monstrum. Currently I'm running http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...o-debloated-with-several-enhancements.835513/ "gutted" 2004 windows 10 Pro without a lot of bloatware and NVcleaninstall'ed 510.06 drivers.

Ashtrix, Rage Set, Clamibot and 2 others like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    It seems Nvidia finally understand that 10GB vram ain't future-proof for a 4K card, LOOL

Oh'well, better later than never. But I'm sure they saved a few $$$ cap the vram limit at 10GB for their newest gaming flagship. And it also help Nvidia a lot push people/gamers over on their next gen cards before they had to (when the miners is gone and if the GPU/chips shortage have eased up). Oversupply of chips won't help Nvidia and its partners to be equal greedy as with Ampere cards. With time forwards we will see Nvidia and their partners try hard appreciate all Gamers again. Miners will be gone.

NVIDIA preparing GeForce RTX 3080 with GA102-220 GPU and 12GB memory for January 2022 launch videocardz.com

"NVIDIA is clearly focusing on memory upgrades with Ampere’s mid-life refresh"

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  5. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Two steps forward and six steps back. Increasing VRAM is a no-brainer that they should have done at launch. What is not overtly stated is what worries me. Nvidia and MS have a partnership. That partnership has eliminated the standard drivers; is crippling AMD CPU performance; requires new hardware to address perceived security concerns. And, the cherry on top, is the increase in prices.

Ashtrix, electrosoft, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  6. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

The one and only thing that will increase linux support is AAA game titles being available for linux. From a business perspective companies will not widely adopt it because the support staff isn't there in the IT world. BUT gaming would bring light and large movement to the platform. Dell tried the linux computer sales a while back didnt last long. The corporate world and everyday business will not make the move. Retraining employees, major software support and migration etc.,

7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    They could've game the cards the VRAM allocation they designed them for but redacted before launch, not really something to be praised imho.

It's really weird that Nvidia keeps pulling these kinds of tricks. The only thing I've learned is that even if I seriously considered Nvidia for my next gpu is don't buy on release or anywhere near release, because you are only getting 80% wait for the next 2 refresh and you may actually have the full product but oh wait they've redacted functions for particular scenarios.

Why should I have to navigate that maze when I know exactly what I get from the competition?

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, this is true. The business world is absolutely dominated by Windows, and for good reasons. The world of IT professionals has very limited knowledge of Linux and even if that were not true, the workforce wouldn't handle it well. You can't really expect employees to do their jobs effectively using something they are not familiar with and don't want to become familiarized with. A fairly significant number of people whose jobs require using a computer struggle with anything new and more than a few barely have enough computer smarts to use Windows. They use what they are trained to use and don't want to learn anything new that isn't necessary or essential for them to perform their job duties. Introducing change for the sake of change doesn't set well with them, and it's also not very smart from a business perspective to introduce change (or waste time and money) when doing so isn't essential to success. If you gave people like that a Linux machine they'd be turned inside out, if for no reason other than it would be new and different because they have a mental block when it comes to technology.

I bet (and hope) that the business world will be very slow to embrace Windows 11. Some are still using Windows 7 and a fairly large percentage of those that moved to Windows 10 did so begrudgingly, and probably won't be eager to squander any resources on making another switch when it would be totally pointless to do so.

The guy the wrote this article is very much on point. Totally pointless and an utter waste of time to entertain the idea. And, if you value performance and don't want to lose some for no legitimate reason, a very bad idea.

Windows 11: Microsoft's pointless update | ComputerWorld

pathfindercod, Clamibot and Papusan like this.
  9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    As far as client facing IT I would agree but Linux basically runs the backend to my understanding. Linux SysAdmins make a very attractive paycheck. I have been debating dropping Windows as my "toolbox of choice" in favor of Linux

Papusan likes this.
  10. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Like that article you liked to said, Microsoft tends to alternate between good and bad versions of their Windows operating system whenever they come out with a new release.

Windows 11 looks like a MacOS ripoff to me. It doesn't offer any better functionalities than Windows 10, so yes it definitely is a pointless upgrade. It's essentially Windows 10, but with a MacOS inspired GUI.

Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.