*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    So no 3d cache for am4? I don't have translator on my phone

2. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Zen-3 = 3D Cashe. This is all you get of improvements. The 6000/7000 chips is a Stop-gap as the XT chips.

3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    That's all that was really expected unless the typical AMD rumor mill was over hyping itself again?

I'm looking forward to the giant l3 cache and the longevity it will provide over time.

Papusan likes this.
  4. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe next time boys, maybe next time...

upload_2021-10-12_17-28-22.png

5. SierraFan07

SierraFan07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Couldn't agree more. I didn't go to college or at least get some certificates and I ended up doing intermediate tech support making $80k a year which isn't much to support a family on in Commifornia. More importantly I was stressed and unhappy and this obviously affected my personal and spiritual life immensely. I went back to school 2 years ago to get my Associates of Science Degree in Health Information Technology and I'm almost 40 now. I'll have to start at the bottom, at least as far as experience in the health care industry, and take a pretty substantial paycut initially, but after much prayer and discussion I felt it was more beneficial for my family that I do something I enjoyed more. It does sound so cliche but follow your heart, find something that enriches your life, and hopefully the lives of those around you, and you will find that the financial aspect will not be your primary motivation.

Schools done in about 6 months and then it's time for another big change, move out of CA. I won't digress on reasoning, most people here already know why. Looking at Texas, Idaho, Tennessee, Florida and a few other places who aren't trying to obliterate our constitutional rights on a daily basis.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Ashtrix, Clamibot and Rage Set like this.
  6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Oh right l4 cache, been so focused on everything else (probably for the bette).

Though if the size of l3 is giant then the need for l4 is reduced especially with ddr4 as it is. Though that also begs the question of what the relative speeds of l4 made today versus how they were in 2014

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Ugh. This CPU is so stinking lame, LOL. Based on what I see online, it might even be a better than average silicon sample, which is pretty damned pathetic. It can't do 4.5GHz, and the memory clock seems like 3400 is the most its chintzy IMC can handle. I hope to not have to use it very long.

Anyhoo... 5950X is on the way to James at Rockit Cool for a delid. I hope it makes a measurable difference in overclock headroom.

Capture.JPG

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    LOL... the 9750H in my Tongfang turdbook overclocks higher and has a better Cinebench R20 score. All I can say is the Ryzen fanboys that had this CPU must have been drunk on red Kool-Aid if they stayed with Ryzen and upgraded to the next generation, because it would have been very disappointing to have a locked CPU in a turdbook tearing your desktop with an unlocked CPU a smelly new posterior orifice.

https://hwbot.org/submission/4834392_mr._fox_cinebench___r20_ryzen_5_2600x_3207_cb
    [​IMG]

https://hwbot.org/submission/4305083_mr._fox_cinebench___r20_core_i7_9750h_3368_cb
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Clamibot, Rage Set, 4W4K3 and 2 others like this.
  9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Even I was not really interested in the 2600x when it dropped. The 2700x for the right price or bust, luckily that happened.

Speaking of competition what are a few decent boards for x299? Probably nothing comes of it but I have been entertaining the idea of building a sister ITX system or mATX to go with my AM4 ITX system

Rage Set and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It will do fine until I get the 5950X back. I'm sure it would be OK for work or gaming. I didn't expect it to be impressive, but it's got to be way better than the dual-core Athlon 3000G that I was going to use as a temporary CPU. I think the maximum temperature on the 2600x running Cinebench R20 was like 42°C under the monoblock, so about 50°C less than the 5950X.

I am only familiar with E-ATX X299 boards. But, perhaps Brother @RMSMajestic can chime in. He purchased my 7980XE and X299 Dark, but I think he may have put the CPU in a small form factor system. I'd try to stick with EVGA if possible. That would be my recommendation.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Micro-Intel-Motherboard-121-SX-E296-KR/dp/B07J9KWHK7

Rage Set, Reciever and Papusan like this.