*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Your recollection is mostly accurate. It was so long ago now that my recollection isn't perfect. I did not have problems with 4870M and 5870M and I had both in CrossFried configuration in an Alienware M17xR2. They were reliable, performing great, overclocked pretty decent using RBE and gamed well. Right after that was when AMD bought ATi and the last generation of ATi branding. Everything turned to crap with AMD 6970 and 6990 and 7970. Every single one I had (desktop and laptop) from that point forward was junk and had to be RMA'd because they malfunctioned. And, in CrossFried they malfunctioned even more. This is when I dismissed AMD as being unacceptable and switched to NVIDIA.

I also never had any issues with SLI and wish there was better support for CrossFried and SLI today. I would still be running SLI if it were not essentially abandoned. It was awesome as far as I am concerned. It was during the 6000 series and later that AMD was having a lot of hate thrown at them with frame-pacing issues on multi-GPU systems. Before that nobody ever talked about it. Some people had no problems with it and others complained bitterly. SLI was much smoother and I literally had no issues with SLI. The same people that hated on AMD CrossFried turned the hate toward NVIDIA SLI.
    The problem with the ASUS BIOS is they have a lot of duplication and redundancy of settings in different areas. Changing it in one menu doesn't affect the other and some settings applied on certain menus seem to have no effect. It is almost as if they took a generic AMI BIOS and unlocked all of the menus without testing which ones function and hiding those that do not. Much like an inexperience hack unlocks a laptop BIOS versus a pro like @Prema.

Everything I see so far about the X570 Dark is positive and I think it might be the only opportunity for AMD to redeem themselves in my eyes. I may get it just for that reason alone. They deserve a fair shake if my negativity is being driven by a crummy motherboard and half-baked BIOS.

If it funny that you mention you are having drop-outs now with a newer firmware. It seems like I am as well and I may go back a few releases and see if things settle down. It seems a whole lot worse than when I started. In fact, I do not remember having USB dropout problems during the first week or two, then a new BIOS was released.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Ah that is understandable, While I was garnering interest in laptops around that time I didnt join that fray until much later.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Looking at Windows Event Viewer, I have ONLY Event ID 19 (CPU Bus/Interconnect Errors).

I am going to try this and see if it works: WHEA Errors Suppressor

Even if it doesn't fix the problem, it will eliminate the Event Logging crap. It is amazing how many times WHEA #19 error has occurred looking in Event Viewer and it is the only WHEA error that exists on my system.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    Papusan, Rage Set and 4W4K3 like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    OK, I did a little more reading on this in a forum where some people are giving the author of this great idea a hard time. The haters are saying it doesn't fix anything and merely stops Windows from logging a error. Those nitwits say to lower your overclock is the solution. Partly true, but it is missing the point. Only AMD can fix their mess, and lowering the overclock does stop the WHEA error with event ID #19 (CPU Bus Interconnect error) with FCLK above 1900.

The point that the idiot haters are missing is that logging HUNDREDS (even thousands if your Windows session runs a long time) of WHEA errors in event logs is pointless and doing that is a problem all by itself. Logging the errors being caused by the problem AMD needs to fix in and of itself is a problem. Logging that many errors causes performance regressions, stuttering in games and other issues because event viewer is going nuts to try to capture them all. This service does not stop it 100%. There are too many and some will get logged, but the frequency is kept to a dull roar and because there are not so many errors being logged, you can run your FCLK higher without any performance regression caused by the extreme amount of Event Viewer logging.

I think this is a brilliant idea as a stop gap measure until AMD someday (hopefully) gets their act together and fix the problem. Limiting your RAM overclock to 3800 in order to run 1:1 is without generating WHEA error #19 event logging is absolutely NOT an acceptable solution.

Edit #1: I ran AIDA64 Cache and Memory benchmark before installing this special service and saw 220 WHEA errors. I installed the service, rebooted and ran the benchmark again. There are none after the benchmark finishes. The latency improved and I did not experience a USB drop-out event, which ALWAYS happened at least once, sometimes more than once, when running the same benchmark or Cinebench.

I will run Cinebench and see what occurs now.

Edit #2: See for yourself. No WHEA errors logged in HWiNFO64.
    No_WHEA.JPG

Papusan, Ashtrix, Rage Set and 2 others like this.
  5. SierraFan07

SierraFan07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's pretty awesome. As you insinuated, a majority of users are looking for stability at the cost of performance and they think you are the stupid one for suggesting that you would actually utilize a product up to its maximum potential. I often try to forgive such misgivings when I remember who I used to be. I was always about stability and I allowed myself to be taken advantage of by many vendor support staff who would give the same type of advice like, make sure you aren't overclocking, try disabling some features, or other nonsense when I was having a problem. If you are a voice of reason and an advocate for the OC community then you may just win a few over :) I'm glad to hear that WHEA suppression technique may help soften the blow. I've been following your AMD saga and its pains me to see such potential wasted on elementary bugs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Clamibot, Papusan, Rage Set and 2 others like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, and the thing about it is, nobody is even certain that the CPU Interconnect Error (event ID 19) is even a real problem. There is some indication that it is an error in Windows itself and other indications that it is the Realtek Audio USB device included in the UEFI that triggers it. And, oddly enough stability seems to be improved with the logging of that error event disabled. In fact, I have not experienced any USB dropouts in Windows since.

If I continue having the random USB dropouts at POST then I am going to try disabling the Realtek Audio in the BIOS and see if that stops the problem. If it does I will comment about it.

Disabling the event logging of the WHEA error also corrects a high DPC latency issue that the excessive error logging activity was causing.

People that believe error logging should never be blocked are just silly. Just because Windows believes it is an error doesn't actually make it one. For example, I enable SMBv1 on all systems I use on my home network because it works excellent for network access on drive shares on my home network. That being enabled on Windows 8.X and newer is logged as an event because it is considered a security risk. I also disable Windows Update on my systems and disable the updating of drivers through Windows Update. I know SMBv1 is enabled, Windows Update is disabled and driver updates are disabled. I did those things on purpose. I don't need Windows to create hundreds of event logs documenting it. It is stupid for me to not disable that event tracking because the information is totally worthless and logging it a bazillion times simply wastes system resources to accomplish nothing.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
  9. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Papusan, electrosoft and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Thank you brother @Rage Set it felt nice to be happy with the 5950X for a change, too. Sorry for the extra screenshots of the HOF, but I felt like a little kid for a few minutes, LOL.

Now the cynical conspiracy theorist inside of me wonders if the powers that be at AMD (hey that rhymes) are pulling an Nvidia by trying to keep some extra mojo tucked away for a rainy day when they can flip a switch in a driver or firmware update to make it run faster when the competition heats up. 5950X just loves that FCKL. Things just might get dangerous with an X570 Dark in the armory.

Papusan, electrosoft and Rage Set like this.