*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
  2. SierraFan07

SierraFan07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah for a brand new 11800H and RTX 3080 w/ 165W TGP MSI went with old school tripod heatsinks :( I had never applied LM before so I'm sure there is room for improvement in my application methods, but I did see noticeable improvement over the nightmare stock paste it came with. I'm a goof, I'm not sure how to directly share a previous post, but what I did is the last post on this page http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...iscussion-lounge.835425/page-26#post-11114828

@Mr. Fox , I'm in Southern California about an hour north of San Diego so we have plenty of dry heat which is why I thought this little cooler might be worth a shot. As you said, returns couldn't be easier. I can just take the item to Kohl's and it doesn't even have to be in the original packaging and I have a return credit within a few hours. If I decide to try it out then I'll definitely take photos and post it up. I'm not very good at building things so I'll have to figure out a way to direct the airflow exiting the cooler directly to the intake ports on the laptop fans, otherwise I'm afraid any cool air coming out will just get destroyed by all the hot air coming out of the rear exhausts on the laptop.
    As far as the suggested item, that made me laugh as well. Chances are the A.I. running the suggestion algorithm is running projections days/weeks/months into the future and is therefore smart enough to determine there is some connection between those items, therefore driving up the chances that the item will be purchased. I'm joking of course, but I know better and know enough to acknowledge much of that joke in some degree is actually taking place.

Rage Set, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I was also on my cell at the time which compacts everything. Its kind of nuts that there is only 1 dedicated heatpipe on the CPU.

That bottom tray doesnt really allow for much benefit of the cooling pad. Might entertain the idea of trying to design a replacement bottom lid made of aluminum with more ventilation to have more benefit of the cooling pad.

There is argument to be had about losing the passive air pull from the laptops ventilation (fans pulling air from the whole system to a degree) but typically all scenarios that leaned that direction were a net gain in temperatures.

Papusan likes this.
  4. SierraFan07

SierraFan07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry not sure I follow you. Are you talking about the cooling stand it's sitting on and the bottom cover of the laptop itself? I was even wondering if there was any problem with removing the bottom cover of the laptop all together. Is there any major problem with doing that? It literally just sits on that stand, which forms a seal around the bottom of the laptop, and those little turbo fans on the laptop stand have dust covers over the intake ports. Obviously I would never transport the laptop without the cover, but it hasn't once left that stand and I don't anticipate it too for many months as I work/school from home.

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Both. As for the bottom lid that is generally where the feet are to keep it in place.

Sorry sleep aids hitting me hard cant really think critically anymore tonight lol

SierraFan07 likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    So far, so good. Not getting any WHEA errors. 4400 CL-16-17-17-32 1T @ 1.550V.
    cachemem2.JPG

Attached Files:

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Sigh... I just approved a settlement on a theft of cargo claim that involved 95 RTX 3090 and 140 RTX 3070 GPUs. $301K worth of GPUs that some loser is going to make a killing off of. I hope whoever is responsible for the theft ends up losing them all in a fire or something more tragic, then gets caught and goes to jail. Or even better, I hope they get recovered and the person(s) responsible go to jail. The venue is CA, so they'll probably get away with it.

8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Idle hands on the docks, say it aint so.

electrosoft and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It is unfortunately very common for employees of shippers to be thieves, including the truck drivers. Sometimes they are part of organized crime rings, masquerading as a trucker or warehouse laborer looking for a new job. They are most often new hires, but some are just ordinary untrustworthy deadbeat loser employees that accept a sizeable bribe to leave their truck and trailer unattended at a specified time and location, or leave a side door unlocked "by accident" when they leave for the day, so the thieves have a safe window of opportunity to get the job done.

electrosoft and Reciever like this.
  10. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah its nuts how much meta is involved at some docks. Can sometimes be difficult to "just work".

BMW used to pay those same cartels to leave their stuff alone. No idea if that is still practiced though this was before they temped the western facilities. Maybe 2009? Can't remember

electrosoft and Mr. Fox like this.