*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Brother @Johnksss is going to have to be kind enough to share with us what the special ingredient is. It might be higher memory clock speed and higher IF clock, but I am not going to try to guess because it might be something more obscure. I've closed the gap enough to rank right next to him on the leaderboard, but there is still a fairly big gap in the score that is not accounted for in running the same core clock speed using the same CPU on the same OS. That is why I (wrongly) assumed it was a glitch. It might even be the fact that the Crosshair VIII mobo and firmware is junk (which I already believe to be true) and the Godlike board and firmware just works better.
    upload_2021-10-6_11-51-15.png

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  2. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

I already killed a bios on this Z590 Dark lol. Oops. (This 11900K had the exact same behavior as my 10900K did, right before it went full psycho, and committed cpuAcide)

When the 11900K did this, I was pushing memory hard trying to get beyond 5,200Mhz Gear 2 CL19, heavy VCCIO, VCCIO AUX voltages, and hard on the VSA too.

^ It started acting just like my 10900K did. The 11900K was acting funny in the bios. So I backed off real fast.

Reset the bios, and bios 1 is just done for. (Reflash will most likely fix it) fortunately I have (3) bios. And I was able to catch those early warning symptoms.

electrosoft and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    In case you are not aware, as long as the chip itself is unharmed, the corrupted data on the chip can be corrected. This happened to me maybe a dozen times on the X299 Dark and two or three times on the Z490 Dark. What you were doing with the extreme memory overclocking can store messed up values in the firmware if there is any kind of glitch rendering it unbootable. It only happens if the messed up settings are commited to NVRAM. The Alienware Viking and Ranger laptops used to get soft-bricked all the time due to corrupted settings stored to NVRAM.

If a BIOS Recovery flash does not work, do this:
    - Boot from a bootable BIOS chip and enter the UEFI environment
    - Move the BIOS selection switch to the position of the corrupted BIOS chip
    - Flash the corrupted BIOS chip after moving the switch to that position
    - When the flash operation is finished, completely power off the machine
    - Turn off the PSU switch for a few seconds, then power on the machine

It should function normally now, if the only problem was corrupted firmware stored on the IC.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  4. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

Yep I’m sure it’s fixable, I just moved on to another bios position. Too lazy to flash it back.

5. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
  6. SierraFan07

SierraFan07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So besides the obvious undervolting, applying liquid metal, and using a laptop cooling stand (all of which I have done), are there any other mods to drop temps? When I'm maxing out the CPU/GPU I quickly get to 95C which doesn't scare me but obviously if I want to run it that way for an extended period of time I'd like to try to cool it more if possible. Would something like this work to help cool down the air temp being drawn in by the fans if I found a way to duct it straight to the intake area on the laptop?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F3FLHYB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_2T6A0HBX5PNC53PZ682M

I'm wondering if it would be dangerous since it's an evaporative cooler it may be humidifying the air, but I'm wondering if since it's so hot inside the case anyway it wouldn't be an issue. I certainly didn't buy the laptop for mining as there are much better solutions for that, but I wanted to at least test it and see what happens using a program called Kryptex, but it's just maxing everything out to thermal throttling quite quickly even with Cooler boost (max fans) and the laptop stand fans running at max.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Rage Set, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If it is something you would use if it works well, even if it doesn't work out well with the laptop, then there is no harm it finding out. There is nothing wrong with having a cooler space around your seating area working at the computer, or when watching TV, etc. I am skeptical that it would make a remarkable improvement, but I could be totally wrong. The reviews suggest it is very effective, and if you live in a very dry climate it might be surprisingly useful. You would need to monitor the amount of humidity it produces. As long is it does not produce condensation, then the added humidity is not an issue. In a place like Palm Springs or Phoenix, probably not enough to identify a change in humidity. In a place like Houston or New Orleans, that extra humidity could be an issue. For less than $50 I'd say it is worth investigating. With Amazon, sending back a piece of crap couldn't be easier, so nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you try it, please take some pictures and share your experience with us.

I am tempted to try it because my office is always too hot, even when people are saying they are too cold when sitting anywhere else in the house.

Rage Set and Papusan like this.
  8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Play games on the porch, it's good to be outdoors I hear. Wouldn't know it though.

At some point you have to prioritize what you need more of, cpu grunt or gpu especially if the heatsink is unified (not familiar with your machine). Though mine is more desktop oriented my hardware hits 90's fairly often and I probably need another application of liquid metal

Rage Set, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I just noticed this. What in the world does a child's outdoor bubble mower toy have to do with a personal evaporative cooler?
    Maybe I am missing a connection since these items are "frequently bought together" LOL. Way too funny.

upload_2021-10-6_20-15-46.png

10. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nah man, the almighty bubble mower became sentient and is slowly taking over the planet, this is one of the first signs of its intelligence, we must find a way to stop it before its too late.