*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

I considered it. But it takes a few days for them to get back to me. Having a new bios made just for me seemed like a large request.

Anyways, With 12900K around the corner. I just wanted a proper working platform. This 11900K is an undercover beast of a CPU! I wanted to unleash full potential. Plus, I’m trying to test my CPU and see if it is a potential long term candidate. (Good silicon or not) and this motherboard is simply preventing any possibility of that at all because I cannot test the strength of my IMC.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  2. tps3443

Reputations:

That looks awesome!!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. tps3443

Reputations:
    I will say this! You should never judge a book by its cover. Me and my older brother would hate on the 11900K pretty bad. We thought it was just silly. Once you do actually get hands on with one though, it’s literally an amazing CPU. Intel wanted to get back on top in gaming performance. And they finally released a product that was capable of that. And gaming performance is exactly where this chip shines!

I never thought that I would like this thing. And I only gave it a chance, mostly because how ridiculously strange it was. I wanted to see what it was all about. Because if you read actual reviews they are all good. VS. internet reviews they are mediocre at best and most are bad.

The 11900K is really a beast under cover though. Stock vs stock it provides an easy 20% higher frame rate over a 10900K in flight simulator. The same can be said for other titles I play, that highly depend on only a few cores at once.

Now I understand why @electrosoft was wanting to put a “Golden sample version” one of these in a X170 so badly. Because just stock this CPU has a very very aggressive boosting algorithm in place. It doesn’t need an OC at all. Intel seems to have finally learned from what AMD has been doing with Ryzen. However, you’ve got some juice in the tank for heavy tubing too.

I can say this, this is really an amazing gaming CPU!! And my system is actually gimped, so I’m ready for full capability.

[​IMG]

PS: I run a pretty aggressive OC on this 11900K. I’m a little heavy on the voltage. But 5.4Ghz on (3) cores, 5.3Ghz on (6) cores, and 5.1Ghz on (8) cores. Auto voltage with some heavy vdroop going on.

5.2Ghz all core is an easy OC for this chip. But, it hits the plateau past 5.1Ghz all core, where it requires heavy voltage for an all core load. While 5.1Ghz all core can get by with just 1.380V. While 5.2Ghz all core needs 1.500V.

At 5.1 Ghz all core it’s faster than a 10900K in multithreaded loads. So this seems to be the sweet spot.

if the IMC proves to be good I will keep it. However, if it’s just average, I am gonna exchange this cpu in search for better silicon.

CPU-Z single threaded test.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ashtrix, Papusan and Clamibot like this.
  4. tps3443

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox

Did you contact Optimus to tell them which color you want your 3090 Kingoin block to be in? They announced their coloring options last week.

5. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Cinebench R20 are trolling with Jayz:D I wonder how the outcome would become with AMD Ryzen chips.

12900K the next single core/thread King. I expect AMD will struggle to take the single core crown the coming year from Intel but they will certainly take the multi-core crown with an 6000 series Ryzen chips. The 5950x is on par in multi-thread benchmarks.
    [​IMG]
    https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-c...yzen-9-5950x-in-cpu-z-single-thread-benchmark

Clamibot, tps3443 and Rage Set like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes I did. Matte black with the nickel finish on the cold plate.
    If you are happy with it, that is great. That's what matters most. It's cool that it does better in games since you are really into that, too.

For me, it's really all about overclocking the living daylights out of it and getting the highest benchmarks score possible in the class that I am participating in so I can move up in rank on the leaderboard. IPC certainly helps a lot with improving benchmark scores, but it needs abnormally high core clocks to go with the IPC to put distance between yourself and those you are competing with. It is hard enough to do that with the 5950X (which is very disappointing) and it seems like I would not be very happy with an 11900K from everything I have seen so far. It wouldn't matter a great deal to me that it play games a lot smoother simply because I don't play games very often. If I did, I am sure it would matter a lot to me.

They did it for me when I asked they to unlock a menu item. It took a few days, but I have seen them do it for a couple of other customers that asked.

Clamibot, Ashtrix, tps3443 and 3 others like this.
  7. tps3443

Reputations:

Well I feel pretty stupid..I should have asked Evga first I suppose…. Such a request seemed like such a long shot lol.

Oh well, the Z490 Dark KP is going to a new owner.

Z590 Dark in-route lol.

8. tps3443

Reputations:

I was able to tweak my brothers 10850K to Ryzen IPC levels using a good per core overclock with the Evga Fleet software. I could get 650 single thread on just a 10850K. Now, this particular 10850K is actually turned out to be pretty good 10850K. Probably better than some 10900K’s.

However, going to the 11900K showed amazing results in real world usage, games, etc.

The bump from 640-650 range to 740-750 range was very noticeable. So essentially the 12900K is going to offer that all over again.

This is the 10850K in CPU-Z testing. Apparently these chips have worse silicon.

But I’m not so sure.

[​IMG]

Papusan, Clamibot and electrosoft like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Dang. I kind of wish that I had kept that setup I sold you now instead of blowing about $1500 on a 5950X and X570 mobo. Oh well. It is what it is.

Yes, 10850K is a bad chip. I would have recommended that your brother avoid it and spend a few extra bucks on a 10900K or 10900KF. If you can get a 10850K to run stable 5.0GHz on all cores without really high voltage and the memory to run 4000 CL17 it is rare. I think they take all of the chips that are less than 10900K standards and sell them as 10850K.

Papusan and electrosoft like this.
  10. tps3443

Reputations: