*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  2. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You know what time it is ;)

[​IMG]

Ashtrix, Reciever, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Funny you mention that lol

@UltraGSM was testing a 6th-9th gen cpu (forgot which one) on a custom substrate that converts the pins. I believe it did not work but he knows better than me what happen.

He also will be testing a gtx 1080 for us in his m18x r2.

Agreed. To think it would be running a ray tracing gpu, nvme ssd, and wi-fi 6e shows just how good all those standards were back then.

Nice to see you btw :)

Ashtrix, Papusan, electrosoft and 3 others like this.
  4. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Next upgrade is an eDP display ? :p
    I believe it's possible like on Thinkpad X230 where they solder a flex pcb and some wire, it just needs to be designed :). However I'm not sure if a good 1080p 120Hz is available in 18.4" size, I know there is 4k display available in 18.4".

Ashtrix, Papusan, ssj92 and 1 other person like this.
  5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    The stock display is pretty good especially after calibration. I have mine OC to 80Hz, it can hit up to 85Hz which is pretty smooth. :p

@Rengsey R. H. Jr. had a 4K 18.4" display I believe but didn't fit in the bezel. flex pcb with eDP support would be awesome but so far no one has bought/made one for m18x.

Papusan likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane. When that P2 was new my 5 kids were all in elementary school. Now I have grandchildren in elementary school. I built at least a dozen desktops with that slotted P2 socket. Back then I had a side business building and repairing computers, doing network admin, etc., to help keep the kids happy and well-fed. Four of the five are boys, so it was like feeding a pack of hungry wolves. But, they were foxes.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Thank you. I had not heard of it since I haven't touched a Radeon GPU since the nightmares I had with 7970. That was when I officially washed my hands and vowed to never touch the defective garbage from Team Red ever again.

But, I do remember RBE. I did some pretty interesting stuff with RBE on the AW M17xR2 and M18xR1/R2 until ATI got destroyed by AMD. It wasn't long after that that Dell followed suit in destroying Alienware. Looks like my best score with 6990M CrossFried is still in the top 20 for that GPU, LOL...

3DMark 11 - 8092 with AMD Radeon HD 6970M / 6990M(2x) - October 17, 2011

My, how things have changed. I remember thinking I was hot stuff with a 128GB Crucial M4 SATA SSD. It was cutting edge technology. And, who could imagine using more than 128GB of drive space back then? Some people said it was "excessive" that I had two of them in RAID0. Now I won't purchase an SSD or NVMe drive with less than 1TB of space, and I look for 128GB in a USB flash drive, LOL.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    ASUS X570 CROSSHAIR HERO HIGH PCH TEMPERATURE | ROG FORUM
    My reply to OP:
    Thank you for starting this thread. Considering how long ago it was, and further considering they've done NOTHING to address their defective design speaks volumes about what a lame outfit they are. They have had ample time to do something and haven't. They don't care.

I can hardly wait to get my hands on the EVGA X570 Dark. I swore I would never buy another ASUS product again, but like an idiot, here I am with a Crosshair mobo. Coming back to ASUS because I didn't like the other X570 options at the time of purchase, I am reminded of why I wrote them off. After having nothing but great experiences with X299 Dark and Z490 Dark motherboards, the bar was set very high and the Crosshair is pretty lame in comparison.

ASUS sucks by nearly every measurement. They used to make good products and were the masters of BIOS excellence. They cut corners everywhere now, their high-end motherboards are unreliable, prone to failure, and their warranty service is absolutely atrocious. In contrast, EVGA is a joy to work with. Their products are rock solid and they treat customers as one would expect a company that cares about the people that buy their products would. They offer advanced RMA and cross-ship replacement products when you have a problem. With ASUS, they leave things broken and look for excuses to blame customers for defects rather than resolving issues with their defective products.

There is no excuse for the shoddy design of the PCH cooler on my Crosshair VIII Hero. Whoever designed it clearly either did not care or had no idea what they were doing. I already took the heat sink off and put a GELID thermal pad in place of the original, with a thin layer of paste on each side and the PCH temperatures are unchanged. It was a waste of time because the fan and heat sink are poorly designed and ineffective. I also have to turn the PSU off and back on to get my system to POST every time the system is powered off. Defective junk is what their brand stands for, and it is very sad. They used to be awesome.

Papusan, Ashtrix, electrosoft and 2 others like this.
  9. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Papusan, Ashtrix, Tenoroon and 4 others like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Congratulations, bro. That's a great score.
    I am going to hang onto the OptimusPC Foundation block in case I move to an X570 Dark. I will need it if I do. But, I am happy to report the load temps are basically identical. Nothing lost and nothing gained. Maybe EKWB had to get their cooling engine act together when OptimusPC put the hurt on them by offering superior products. I'm glad it wasn't a waste of money (as in worse temps). It looks very nice and it is kind of cool to see how hard the water is blasting through the monoblock fins. You can actually see the severe turbulence of the water shooting out each side of the fins very clearly. Who needs a flow indicator with that? LOL.

The VRMs are about 5-6°C cooler. Should I need to sell the Crosshair VIII to help offset the profuse financial hemorrhaging if I go with the Dark mobo, perhaps including the monoblock will make it easier to sell.

EK-Quantum Momentum ROG Crosshair VIII Hero D-RGB - Plexi
    [​IMG]