*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Kana Chan

Kana Chan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You'd probably like SPR-X since each tile underneath has HBM2E for SPR-SP. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Prepares-Xeon-HBM

2. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    I can't see it other way than MSI has to scrap the idea rereleasing the seven-year old GT 730. Or can they still sell it because Nvidia will offer security updates until September 2024? The tech world have gone bananas.

Windows 8.1 will reach end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023. I expect they also kill support for 8.1 because this means bigger chance to make working mod drivers for Win 7. Yeat, another good handshake between nvidia and Microsoft. Nvidia is going Windows 10 exclusive later this year thewerge.com

Source. Support note from Nvidia

And dont forget Microsoft is soon ready with a new version of Windows, likely to be named Windows 11, in October. Full touch support and prepared for maybe next gen Win phones?:D

Microsoft still haven't forgot the sweet dream become the new Apple:vbthumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Ashtrix, Mr. Fox and Rage Set like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It's better to ignore everything they do and do whatever you want to if you can find a work around. As things have gone for the past 6 or 8 years I can see that there's probably no better than about a 10% chance I'm going to like or agree with anything they do. Which is fine, to hell with them, I don't care as long as I can find a way to do things my way and bypass their nonsense I'm good with that. I do not need their support. They're just too stupid for words and homie don't play dat.

4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sell those mothers! :D

pathfindercod and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    So I threw this 11900K on my MXIIE on stock voltage and memory. Can anyone tell me which is the correct voltage? Under load it's 1.256V.
    Thanks.
    CinebenchR23-16713-11900K-3090KPE.JPG

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I can't imagine that anyone buying a GT 730 in 2021 should be too worried about game-optimized drivers. That would be like buying a Toyota Prius and worrying about its acceleration and obstacle course performance not being superior. It was nothing to write home about when it was first released.

Papusan likes this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    I know bro Fox, but if they start sell it as new item it should come with supported drivers within the whole obligatory warranty period. If they can't offer it due Nvidia, then sell it as used item and for the 1/4 of the price:vbthumbsup: We talk about new re-released cards from MSI, not a old used card you buy on the internet.

If it's correct that MSI try this they gamble on a special market and sell it as is. I expect they picked the cheapest of the Kepler cards because they would run into problems if this was a 780 Ti card with Nvidia's decision on Kepler drivers.

If this card have come in an brand new computer from MSI it would be called fraud/scam if they can't offer the whole package and new drivers within the warranty period. This would never went well for MSI if they tried this in Norway with its consumer rights (5 year):D If I bough this in an Norwegian Store as new I could return it the day Nvidia said no more drivers, either for cash back or equal new card, HeHe

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  8. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:
    What microcode revision? SP rating? V/F curve in BIOS?
    If it pulls 1.256 under load I'd set it to 1.3 / LLC7 and see if it can pass a 30 min CB23 run / RB 2.56 / P95 small fft 10+ min non-avx for starters and dial it in (up or down) accordingly but I would dial in the memory first. I don't know what sticks you have on hand to go for gear 1 or gear 2 but that's just my approach.

9. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:

Knew this was coming but I did not expect it to come this year only. Windows 8.1 was the black sheep for many but surprisingly in my experience it has been so much reliable, imagine for 6 years I never had any issue with the OS at all. It has support until 2023 (Extended) but since many already moved to 10 and only a few left on Win7 and so many drivers do have proper support for Win7 rather than 8.1 it makes sense. A big shame.

This is why 2021 is the last year to own the PC Hardware to make your machine run Windows 7. Intel or AMD or Nvidia. As for Intel iGPU I think they only have that DCH cancer which is Win10 only. For AMD they only have Win7 and not 8.1. So now Nvidia is joining the club of Win10. CSM is the only thing holding this bridge strong. With 2022 hardware first Mobos, we will get a confirmation soon.

Also Game Ready Drivers, due to the flatout political engineering in games I do not have to worry much about since probably for a year there might be one game or two from Japan or Eastern European developers which would be worth my time and money. I'm not sure if NVinspector allows any sort of Game Ready Profiles to work on old drivers ?

For instance for the whole damn E3 (which was full cringe) here are the only games which are worth any damn to me. Many know about STALKER already, but Atomic Heart was teased since 2 years finally they showed it and releasing in 2021, to those who do not know, it's more like PREY / BioShock. Also note that new game in the last is made by the real polish developers ex-CDPR who left CDPR as many know who followed the real news and not the bs hype, they actually made a real Cyberpunk game called Ruiner vs abomination of hell which was Cyberjunk.

Finally for Windows 11, I do not personally think it's a new OS version because of two reasons - Windows 10 is a WaaS already so they have a group of people working on the Features updates for SAC Consumer and Enterprise And LTSC channels. Now if Windows 11 comes, another WaaS they have to maintain the whole channels again and push for same, ofc they can axe the new feature updates to Win10 and save cash. Second reason is, how are they going to transition all the Enterprise customers who make up for their majority of the chunk of cash flow. They do get the OEM money from these new Laptops and etc. That's my gut feeling could be wrong.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Papusan likes this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    The future looks grim bro Ashtrix. The phone processors from Intel is soon ready. Hybrid processors and you are forced to use the next level of lame Touch friendly pastel colored and rounded corners Windows OS from Redmond.

AMD Patent Hints At Hybrid CPU To Rival Intel's Raptor Lake CPUs

Hybrid processors won't succeed unless there is proper software support. Recent rumors point to a new, more efficient scheduler in Windows 11 that's optimized for hybrid setups. That new update is rumored to land later this year at the same time as Alder Lake, which should pave the way for better support for hybrid processors.

In one example, AMD measures the period of time that the small cores are running at the maximal clock speed and compares it to a threshold. If the duration is greater than the established time threshold, the task shifts over to the bigger cores. In another example, AMD takes into account an external factor: memory. If the memory utilization is less than the threshold established on the small cores, the task will remain on said cores.

Yeah, Microsoft want to make a big deal on coming new phone tech. A new OS fits well into this. And do not be surprised if Microsoft at some point will try once again with smartphones.

Intel 12th Gen Core Alder Lake to Launch Alongside Next-Gen Windows This Halloween techpowerup.com Jun 4th, 2021 05:53

Intel is likely targeting a Halloween (October 2021) launch for its 12th Generation Core "Alder Lake-S" desktop processors, along the sidelines of the next-generation Windows PC operating system, which is being referred to in the press as "Windows 11," according to "Moore's Law is Dead," a reliable source of tech leaks. This launch timing is key, as the next-gen operating system is said to feature significant changes to its scheduler, to make the most of hybrid processors (processors with two kinds of CPU cores).

The two CPU core types on "Alder Lake-S," the performance "Golden Cove," and the low-power "Gracemont" ones, operate in two entirely different performance/Watt bands, and come with different ISA feature-sets. The OS needs to be aware of these, so it knows exactly when to wake up performance cores, or what kind of processing traffic to send to which kind of core. Microsoft is expected to unveil this new-gen Windows OS on June 24, with RTX (retail) availability expected in Q4-2021

---------------------------------------------------------------

Aqua Computer LEAKSHIELD Review - No More Leaks techpowerup.com

REVIEW WATERCOOLING
    Aqua Computer challenges conventional watercooling by throwing a vacuum pump into the loop! The all-new LEAKSHIELD not only detects leaks by using a sensitive pressure sensor, but also aims to stop them with a clever vacuum-pump implementation and negative pressure operation.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Clamibot, Mr. Fox, Kana Chan and 2 others like this.