*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    It seems AMD also want to destroy their chips with integrated graphics. Let the integrated graphics get 30% of die space is an awful solution for more computing power.

New leak further reiterates AMD Ryzen 7000 Raphael will be based on 5 nm Zen 4 and feature Navi 2x integrated graphics notebookcheck.net

Raphael will be an interesting part to watch out for. It is not only the first 5 nm x86 desktop part but also the first mainstream AMD CPU to offer on-die integrated graphics negating the need to use a discrete graphics option unless really needed. So far, AMD has been offering only revised Vega iGPUs even in the latest Cezanne and Lucienne mobile APUs despite already having RDNA2 Navi 2x discrete cards on the market.

By transitioning to a 5 nm node, AMD could gain back some value die space to finally incorporate a capable integrated graphics solution.
    [​IMG]

Sky-high AMD Ryzen 9 5950X prices provide an unsettlingly discouraging snapshot for PC builders of the effects of the 2021 global chip shortage

In fact, just for added shock value, there is even a mention of AMD’s Ryzen 9 5950X being priced at an insane £1,480.72 (US$2,030/AUD$2,662). Of course, this same discouraging picture for desktop DIYers exists in other markets: Best Buy also has a price match guarantee for the Zen 3 part at US$799 but is sold out, and if you take a look at Amazon there is sometimes stock listed as available – but in some cases you have to be willing to part with US$1,288.99.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  2. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Maybe they are now going full OEM route, so they can get this iGPU trash on top we all know they can happily shove those parts into the BGA dumpster factory, so that everyone can buy these latest and greatest thin and light garbage optimus capable trash more esp that Chromebook junk, and maybe AMD can also include the decode and encode functionalities that Intel does, the only good thing that might happen is how they cache out the iGPU in case they do some kind of eDRAM type (5775C / Crystal well) since AMD loves modularity. Esp now they got some attention with Zen uArch they can capitalize on the marketing and word of mouth, with restricted TDP they can make sure the CPUs and BIOS will have least amount of bugs since it's all locked down trash. Most important - they can charge more $$.

As for the 5950X, bad TSMC yield since Apple has basically most of that supply chain, on top they recently launched Milan EPYC 7703 series so all the top dies will go there and second best bins will go to upcoming Genesis Peak Threadrippers and the left over will go to 5950X and 5900X in them we have amazing bugs and what not. I wonder how many people are really building these 16C parts ? most of the market which I personally think as anyone spending over $800 for a CPU would definitely opt for the better HEDT market and the availability is also better there, more lanes more everything. Maybe streamers..

As for the rest of the stack gaming crowd will opt for 5600X as it's cheap and does the job as fast as the 5800X and Intel counterparts others. Small data point for the Wafer market, as per Dec 2020 Intel is just 6% of the 300mm wafer market while TSMC is 15% both have huge volume of chips to make, but as we already know mobile phones already surpassed PCs (very sad, makes sense why AMD wants that precious BGA trash market now even Intel who opted to 10nm for upcoming only and not RKL which could have been got much more headroom) so all those dies are ending up in those planned obsolescence social media tools.

Papusan, Rage Set and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I guess they're targeting standard home & work PC's that don't need significant GPU power for gaming or professional applications. So that might be the larger market, especially in the work environment, although the home environment would probably have a higher concentration of dedicated GPUs for gaming than the office market at least. Not good news for people with dedicated GPUs though, as it's wasted die space, wasted opportunity.

4. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Rage RX Update 2:

I've started prepping the Lian Li O11D XL case. It's a beautiful but very functional case. Lian Li did a lot of the little things right, especially if you are going custom water. The radiator spacing for example. On the bottom of the chassis, if you place a large 60mm radiator, you still have plenty of space to access the cable cutouts. I love the hotswappable HDD drive cages.

At first I had a small amount of buyers remorse (the Define 7 XL caught my eye) but I think this is the case for showcase builds.

I went with all EK Vardar EVO D-RGB fans. I was initially going with Corsair but their cost and software outweigh the looks they provide.

This build is screaming to be hard-tubed, because I have a lot extras coming...of which will be shown when ready... but I want to be able to change hardware without draining the loop.

I'm going to produce a video of the build when it's done and of course, photos here.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Sweet! Looking forward to the video and pics.

Rage Set likes this.
  6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Resizable BAR on NVIDIA GPUs tested, and the results are...mixed. The driver is supposed to disable the feature when performance is negatively impacted, but based on the testing here, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Papusan and electrosoft like this.
  7. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:
    Sounds like the same case for AMD cards. It comes down to the actual game and in some cases rBAR nee SAM can negatively impact your fps.

Papusan and Rage Set like this.
  8. electrosoft

Reputations:
    Looks like JayZ is seeing some benefits of 11900k OC's:

Papusan, Ashtrix and Rage Set like this.
  9. electrosoft

Reputations:
    MSI finally released an AGESA updated BIOS:

upload_2021-4-13_13-48-44.png

And the problem still exists..... USB transfers freeze up and time goes from the expect ~6min to more than a day. I attempted a large file copy again over USB 3.x and it slows down to a crawl and eventually freezes and even CPU-Z won't load in because it is confused detecting the storage which SHOULD work as reported but is lost in limbo:

upload_2021-4-13_13-50-41.png

Eventually it will time out and CPU-Z and other USB engaged interrupts will release and proceed:

upload_2021-4-13_13-53-29.png

I can take this same external drive and hook it up to any of my Intel systems and it will transfer the entire drive no problem.
    I can hook it up to 2.0 and it will transfer the entire drive no problem.
    I can hook it up to Type C or TB on my laptops and it will transfer the entire drive no problem.
    I even took the drive to my wife's 9100f Intel system and it transferred the entire drive no problem.

I tried it with a large 128GB USB 3.0 flash drive and same results as above.

The only difference between AGESA 1.2.0.1 and 1.2.0.2 is now it won't just drop to 0% and sit there till you unplug and plug back in. It will just continue to think it can transfer, transfer time increases to "More than a day" and it eventually times out. Instead of having to unplug and plug to resume you can then try again and it will continue to copy for awhile then enters the vicious cycle again:

upload_2021-4-13_14-5-13.png

Time remaining is all over the map. One moment it is 4 min, then 20 min, then 3 min then 10 min then it freezes up yet again and will sometimes resume or other times time out.

Papusan, Talon, Ashtrix and 1 other person like this.
  10. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Strange. Gigabyte had the AGESA updated BIOS available for a few weeks now. I have had no issues with my USB ports. I just test copied several GBs onto a Type C external drive (Samsung T5) and a SATA SSD 2.5 via an adapter. To be clear, I did not have my mobo set up before to test the USB's before applying the BIOS update.

Edit: To be fair to you, I don't do much "local" copying via USB ports. All of my computers are connected to my local servers. However, I'm going to push several Panasonic S1H RAW files through my T5 and see if it fails.

Capture.PNG

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Ashtrix, electrosoft and Papusan like this.